    An appliance repair manual I downloaded from an online site to my Word
    file has a .cgi extension. It opens as a lot of gibberish. How can I
    open it in a readable form? Thanks for any helpful suggestions.
    Joe Viola, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Joe Viola

    JabberSmith Guest

    "Joe Viola" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > An appliance repair manual I downloaded from an online site to my Word
    > file has a .cgi extension. It opens as a lot of gibberish. How can I
    > open it in a readable form? Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

    You got the wrong file. (Go back and figure out what went wrong at the web
    site.)

    CGI (Common Gateway Interface) is a type of file used to program tasks on a
    web site, pull a file from a database, do a simple calculation, authenticate
    a user, etc. It runs on the server and does stuff in a web site.

    You downloaded a portion of the web site that was supposed to serve the file
    to you, not the file you actually wanted.
    JabberSmith, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Joe Viola

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Joe Viola said:

    > An appliance repair manual I downloaded from an online site to my Word
    > file has a .cgi extension. It opens as a lot of gibberish. How can I
    > open it in a readable form? Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

    Ah the joys of encryption.
    Brian H¹©, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Joe Viola

    Liz Guest

    Right-click on the cgi file and see if you can Open With IE,
    then File> Save as "Web Page, complete".

    "Joe Viola" <> wrote

    Liz, Sep 27, 2003