    Only problem is the case is locked and there is no key.
    How do I get the damn thing open ?
    , Oct 19, 2003

  2. Stevo Guest

    wrote:
    > I just got an ancient HP Vectra VL for ten quid.
    > Only problem is the case is locked and there is no key.
    > How do I get the damn thing open ?

    Ancient is a term you apply to things like the pyramids and the collesium...

    What you have is a lot younger than those..

    First question .. why do you want to open the case?

    Second question, which Vectra VL exactly...

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:26:55 +1000, "Stevo"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I just got an ancient HP Vectra VL for ten quid.
    >> Only problem is the case is locked and there is no key.
    >> How do I get the damn thing open ?

    >Ancient is a term you apply to things like the pyramids and the collesium...
    >
    >What you have is a lot younger than those..
    >
    >First question .. why do you want to open the case?

    to put in a modem and give it to a friend to use for the internet.

    >Second question, which Vectra VL exactly...

    series 4 .
    , Oct 19, 2003
  4. Stevo Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:26:55 +1000, "Stevo"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I just got an ancient HP Vectra VL for ten quid.
    >>> Only problem is the case is locked and there is no key.
    >>> How do I get the damn thing open ?

    >> Ancient is a term you apply to things like the pyramids and the
    >> collesium...
    >>
    >> What you have is a lot younger than those..
    >>
    >> First question .. why do you want to open the case?

    > to put in a modem and give it to a friend to use for the internet.
    >
    >> Second question, which Vectra VL exactly...

    > series 4 .

    I'll assume the machine is an HP Vectra VL 5/xxx series 4, the HPweb site
    doesn't seem to have any others.. this is the desktop case? not a tower
    (mini or otherwise)? I haven't tried with the desktops, the towers are
    reasonably easy to spring apart...

    Depending on how intent you are on opening it up without the key, you
    options will be to force the case, or drill out the lock.. if the most
    obvious option of getting the key from someone isn't possible.

    It might be easier to install an external modem..

    Stevo, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:04:46 +1000, "Stevo"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:26:55 +1000, "Stevo"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Ancient is a term you apply to things like the pyramids and the
    >>> collesium...
    >>>
    >>> What you have is a lot younger than those..
    >>>
    >>> First question .. why do you want to open the case?

    >> to put in a modem and give it to a friend to use for the internet.
    >>
    >>> Second question, which Vectra VL exactly...

    >> series 4 .

    >I'll assume the machine is an HP Vectra VL 5/xxx series 4, the HPweb site
    >doesn't seem to have any others.. this is the desktop case? not a tower
    >(mini or otherwise)? I haven't tried with the desktops, the towers are
    >reasonably easy to spring apart...
    >
    >Depending on how intent you are on opening it up without the key, you
    >options will be to force the case, or drill out the lock.. if the most
    >obvious option of getting the key from someone isn't possible.
    >
    >It might be easier to install an external modem..

    cheers. thats what i was thinking.
    , Oct 19, 2003
  6. Mike Calkins Guest

    My Vectra has a simple disc cylinder lock. A locksmith should be able to
    pick it open for you in less than a minute, for little cost. I wouldn't
    suggest prying the case, but an external modem would be an excellent idea.

    Mike Calkins, Oct 19, 2003
  7. On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:26:55 +1000, "Stevo"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> I just got an ancient HP Vectra VL for ten quid.
    >> Only problem is the case is locked and there is no key.
    >> How do I get the damn thing open ?

    >Ancient is a term you apply to things like the pyramids and the collesium...

    Says who? Quite OK in common usage. See:-

    Type in ancient in these sites and see definitions.

    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=2799&dict=CALD

    2 INFORMAL very old:
    He's got an ancient computer.

    http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/dictionaryhome.aspx

    2. old: very old

    --
    Paulie

    pjpjpj FROM aussiemail THINGO com
    Pauline Johnson, Oct 20, 2003
  8. Stevo Guest

    Pauline Johnson wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:26:55 +1000, "Stevo"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> I just got an ancient HP Vectra VL for ten quid.
    >>> Only problem is the case is locked and there is no key.
    >>> How do I get the damn thing open ?

    >> Ancient is a term you apply to things like the pyramids and the
    >> collesium...

    > Says who? Quite OK in common usage. See:-
    >
    > Type in ancient in these sites and see definitions.
    >
    > http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=2799&dict=CALD
    >
    > 2 INFORMAL very old:
    > He's got an ancient computer.
    >
    > http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/dictionaryhome.aspx
    >
    > 2. old: very old

    Common useage doesn't necessarily mean correct... :) but it was a tongue
    in cheek comment anyway.

    That Vectra is younger than me (as are all PC's) and there's no way I'd
    consider *myself* ancient... :)

    Stevo, Oct 20, 2003
  9. On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:35:21 +1000, "Stevo"
    <> wrote:

    >Pauline Johnson wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:26:55 +1000, "Stevo"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Ancient is a term you apply to things like the pyramids and the
    >>> collesium...

    >> Says who? Quite OK in common usage. See:-
    >>
    >> Type in ancient in these sites and see definitions.
    >>
    >> http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=2799&dict=CALD
    >>
    >> 2 INFORMAL very old:
    >> He's got an ancient computer.
    >>
    >> http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/dictionaryhome.aspx
    >>
    >> 2. old: very old

    >Common useage doesn't necessarily mean correct... :)

    But it is how new words get into dictionaries and eventually become
    proper words.

    Pauline Johnson, Oct 21, 2003