Open wireless connection network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SmltbWll?=, Jan 6, 2007.

  1. Hello

    ***System Specs***

    > OS: 'Windows XP SP2'

    > Hardware: 'Sony Vaio GRS-100 laptop, P4, 512 DDR'

    > Wireless device: 'ASUS WL-100GE PCMCIA card'

    ***Technical Issue***

    > 1st: my firewall is disconnected and ALL the ports are open.

    I'm having trouble connecting to an open wireless connection at a friends
    place. He is running Windows XP SP2, but on a PC. My friend is connected just
    fine to the open wireless network using a USB wireless adapter. I looked into
    his wireless properties window which said that his connection is 'Open' with
    encryption 'disabled' instead of WPA. My friends automatically acquiered the
    ip address and connected easily. Strange, though when I connect and its
    trying to acquier the IP address it doesn't, instead there is no data packs
    transmitted or being recieved. I also recieve this strange message:

    'Enable IEEE 802.1X authentication for this network'

    when the check box is not selected in wireless network windows properties.
    Saying something like peer-to-peer network won't connect without WPA? My
    friend is connected just fine??? and his is disabled???

    In closing, could someone be of help

    Thank You

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltbWll?=, Jan 6, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmltbWll?=

    David Hettel Guest

    You might want to get into the wireless router and look at it's security
    settings. It's possible that your friend has a MAC authorization feature
    enable for wireless security. This would prevent others from accessing his
    network. You'll not connect until you add your MAC address to the approved
    list. Does your laptop see your friends network?

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Jan 6, 2007

  3. 1st, off thanks for a quick response. David, yes my laptop can see my friends
    network just fine. It's just aquiring the address that doesn't happen. David,
    a reminder that it's an Open network and encryption is disabled. I check the
    status of my ASUS PCIM card and it states 'Invalid Adress' and IP address is
    '0.0.0.0', sub mask is 0.0.0.0 As for the default gateway it displays nothing
    in the status window.
    Again any help will do thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?SmltbWll?=, Jan 7, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SmltbWll?=

    David Hettel Guest

    David, a reminder that it's an Open network and encryption is disabled.

    Yes and this is all information that you could get running netstumbler, or
    even the windows zero configuration. Both can be true, and if a MAC list is
    enabled you'd get the same response that your seeing. A MAC list has nothing
    to do with if the Network status is set to open or encryption is enable or
    not. Logically one checks the simplest things first, those that are most
    likely to cause a problem.

    David Hettel, Jan 7, 2007