    Thunderbird
    and Media Player Classic are my favourites at the moment.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Jul 15, 2004

  2. PseUDO

    theseus Guest

    "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    news:FVmJc.8322$...
    > If you have dumped some microsoft software in favour of open source
    > software ,still running on windows, what is your favourite??
    >
    > Firefox
    > Thunderbird
    > and Media Player Classic are my favourites at the moment.
    >
    > PseUDO

    Burn at once
    CDex
    DScaler
    Audacity
    theseus, Jul 15, 2004

  3. PseUDO wrote:
    > If you have dumped some microsoft software in favour of open source
    > software ,still running on windows, what is your favourite??

    > Firefox
    > Thunderbird
    > and Media Player Classic are my favourites at the moment.

    I use mozilla suite, along with many plugins to make it more customised.
    Although I find that it doesnt work with some pages, and that Firefox is
    a tad more "IE Complient", I prefer the intergration of the apps.

    I use Miranda for IM.

    PDF Creator is another must have.

    Infact, the open CD is pretty much a must have for me.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 15, 2004
  4. theseus wrote:
    > CDex

    yeah that too, and DVDx :)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 15, 2004
  5. PseUDO

    Steven H Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:32:44 +1200, PseUDO wrote:

    > If you have dumped some microsoft software in favour of open source
    > software ,still running on windows, what is your favourite??

    dumped SourceSafe in favour of SubVersion (sure as hell beats the pants off
    CVS too ;)

    my main bitch about it is that it forces me to use Apache if i want a
    reliable access over the internet.

    fredom of choice - baahh!

    if i had freedom of choice it would be going through something usefull like
    iis, but insted i must open up yet another port on my server to the wide
    world.
    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic
    ..net Geek
    Steven H, Jul 15, 2004
  6. PseUDO

    Gurble Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:32:44 +1200, PseUDO <> wrote:

    >If you have dumped some microsoft software in favour of open source
    >software ,still running on windows, what is your favourite??
    >
    >Firefox
    >Thunderbird
    >and Media Player Classic are my favourites at the moment.
    >
    >PseUDO

    OpenOffice. Seriously, I have a full legit Microsoft Office Pro 2003
    and OpenOffice installed, and I can't remember the last time I've used
    Word.

    Takes a little to get used to OpenOffice, but, once you're used to it,
    it beats MS Office hands down.

    Still use Outlook, though. Still haven't found an alternative that
    comes even close (under Windows), security flaws or no security flaws.

    2c
    Gurble, Jul 15, 2004
  7. PseUDO

    steve Guest

    PseUDO wrote:

    > If you have dumped some microsoft software in favour of open source
    > software ,still running on windows, what is your favourite??
    >
    > Firefox

    same.

    > Thunderbird

    Same

    > and Media Player Classic are my favourites at the moment.

    Hadn't heard of this one....but looked it up and it looks pretty good!
    steve, Jul 15, 2004
  8. PseUDO

    Daniel Guest

    gimp for windows :) YEA!

    Firefox.

    :)

    Daniel, Jul 15, 2004
  9. PseUDO

    Stewbaby Guest

    PseUDO <> wrote in message news:<FVmJc.8322$>...
    > If you have dumped some microsoft software in favour of open source
    > software ,still running on windows, what is your favourite??
    >
    > Firefox
    > Thunderbird
    > and Media Player Classic are my favourites at the moment.
    >
    > PseUDO

    I use Firefox, CDex and Audacity.

    If you want a CD to distribute to your friends and family that has
    free open source apps for Windows, try out "The Open CD" at
    http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/ or look up the KiaOra CD at
    http://zcat.wired.net.nz/files/ (The Open CD ISO is also there)

    Seeya,

    Stewart
    Stewbaby, Jul 15, 2004
  10. "PseUDO" <> wrote in message
    > If you have dumped some microsoft software in favour of open source
    > software ,still running on windows, what is your favourite??
    >
    > Firefox
    > Thunderbird
    > and Media Player Classic are my favourites at the moment.
    >
    > PseUDO

    Firefox
    Trillian for IM (however not open source)
    Matthew Strickland, Jul 15, 2004
  11. PseUDO

    PseUDO Guest

    Stewbaby wrote:
    > PseUDO <> wrote in message news:<FVmJc.8322$>...
    >
    >>If you have dumped some microsoft software in favour of open source
    >>software ,still running on windows, what is your favourite??
    >>
    >>Firefox
    >>Thunderbird
    >>and Media Player Classic are my favourites at the moment.
    >>
    >>PseUDO

    > I use Firefox, CDex and Audacity.
    >
    > If you want a CD to distribute to your friends and family that has
    > free open source apps for Windows, try out "The Open CD" at
    > http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/ or look up the KiaOra CD at
    > http://zcat.wired.net.nz/files/ (The Open CD ISO is also there)
    >
    > Seeya,
    >
    > Stewart

    Cheers, mostly i just look at http://sourceforge.net/ when hunting for
    OS software.

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Jul 16, 2004
  12. PseUDO

    PseUDO Guest

    steve wrote:

    > PseUDO wrote:
    >

    >>If you have dumped some microsoft software in favour of open source
    >>software ,still running on windows, what is your favourite??
    >>
    >>Firefox

    > same.
    >

    >>Thunderbird

    > Same
    >

    >>and Media Player Classic are my favourites at the moment.

    > Hadn't heard of this one....but looked it up and it looks pretty good!

    Yep media player classic, plays pretty much everything you can throw at
    it, i got rid of WMP 10 , winamp, quicktime, and added the codecs for
    real etc, cant beat one programme that does the work of 4 !

    PseUDO
    PseUDO, Jul 16, 2004
  13. PseUDO

    a Guest

    In article <FVmJc.8322$>,
    says...
    > If you have dumped some microsoft software in favour of open source
    > software ,still running on windows, what is your favourite??
    >
    > Firefox
    > Thunderbird
    > and Media Player Classic are my favourites at the moment.
    >
    > PseUDO

    Gravity - newsreader
    AutoIt - scripting tool GPL but they ain't revealing source yet

    I ain't too picky about whether they actually open the code fully - as
    long as it is free. Loads of linux/other unix projects have Windows
    ports.
    a, Jul 16, 2004
  14. PseUDO

    larrydalooza Guest

    > AutoIt - scripting tool GPL but they ain't revealing source yet

    Source IS available at http://www.hiddensoft.com/autoit3/

    look towards the bottom of the page, or ask in the autoit forum and
    someone will link you to it.

    Lar.
    larrydalooza, Jul 16, 2004
  15. PseUDO

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:33:35 +1200, a wrote:

    > AutoIt - scripting tool GPL but they ain't revealing source yet

    Then its not GPL, yet.

    > I ain't too picky about whether they actually open the code fully - as
    > long as it is free. Loads of linux/other unix projects have Windows
    > ports.

    Free as in beer, or speech? While one may only drink beer, it is
    nevertheless important that one may speak freely.
    Gordon, Jul 17, 2004
  16. PseUDO

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:15:01 +1200, Gurble wrote:

    > OpenOffice. Seriously, I have a full legit Microsoft Office Pro 2003
    > and OpenOffice installed, and I can't remember the last time I've used
    > Word.

    MS is happy, you paid them money.

    > Takes a little to get used to OpenOffice,

    And MSOP3 does not from a cols start?

    > but, once you're used to it,
    > it beats MS Office hands down.

    And as it heaves opes MS wallet, it will have the real desire to keep up
    in front.

    > Still use Outlook, though. Still haven't found an alternative that
    > comes even close (under Windows), security flaws or no security flaws.

    Have you thought about switching platforms?
    Gordon, Jul 17, 2004
  17. PseUDO

    Divine Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:53:05 +1200, Gordon wrote:

    >> Still use Outlook, though. Still haven't found an alternative that
    >> comes even close (under Windows), security flaws or no security flaws.

    > Have you thought about switching platforms?

    If you're already using Open Office, and if you are an Outlook user, then
    switching to Mandrake Linux, with Open Office, and Evolution and Mozilla,
    is your logical next step - Evolution is an Outlook Clone that does not
    have the flaws of Outlook.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."
    Divine, Jul 17, 2004
  18. PseUDO

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:07:09 +1200, Steven H wrote:

    > dumped SourceSafe in favour of SubVersion (sure as hell beats the pants off
    > CVS too ;)
    >
    > my main bitch about it is that it forces me to use Apache if i want a
    > reliable access over the internet.

    Okay, grab the source and branch.
    Gordon, Jul 17, 2004
  19. PseUDO

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:56:59 +1200, Divine <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:53:05 +1200, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>> Still use Outlook, though. Still haven't found an alternative that
    >>> comes even close (under Windows), security flaws or no security flaws.

    >> Have you thought about switching platforms?

    >If you're already using Open Office, and if you are an Outlook user, then
    >switching to Mandrake Linux, with Open Office, and Evolution and Mozilla,
    >is your logical next step - Evolution is an Outlook Clone that does not
    >have the flaws of Outlook.

    Have thought about it, and I used to eval every new version of RedHat
    for suitability. Still haven't found a Linux version completely ready
    for the desktop (IMO), though.

    We use Linux servers at work, but our main management application is
    only available for Windows, and nothing else does everything we need
    it to do (we actually wrote it ourselves...). It connects to a
    Firebird (Interbase, not the browser) database running on a Linux box,
    though. Plus we have Linux firewalls protecting our Windows networks.

    Evolution looked good. There were a couple of problems displaying some
    emails, though, the most notable the daily Techbyte from Tech Pacific.

    I do believe that Windows is still the best multi-purpose workstation
    operating system for those that just want to get on with it, ie rather
    than tinkering. I think the setup we have, with Windows on the
    workstations and Linux on the servers and firewalls etc is the ideal
    setup at the moment.
    Gurble, Jul 17, 2004
  20. In article <>, Gurble <> was seen to type:
    >On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:32:44 +1200, PseUDO <> wrote:
    >
    >>If you have dumped some microsoft software in favour of open source
    >>software ,still running on windows, what is your favourite??
    >>
    >>Firefox
    >>Thunderbird
    >>and Media Player Classic are my favourites at the moment.
    >>
    >>PseUDO

    >OpenOffice. Seriously, I have a full legit Microsoft Office Pro 2003
    >and OpenOffice installed, and I can't remember the last time I've used
    >Word.
    >
    >Takes a little to get used to OpenOffice, but, once you're used to it,
    >it beats MS Office hands down.
    >
    >Still use Outlook, though. Still haven't found an alternative that
    >comes even close (under Windows), security flaws or no security flaws.

    Why don't you like pegasus or eudora ? Are you using some of the
    "fancy" things that outlook does ?

    Question ... anyone know if there's a version of evolution for windows
    ? ... that looks very like outlook and might be worth a try if you
    can get it.

    Bruce

    In short, what people think they want is news, but what they really crave
    is olds.
    Lord Vetinari, ¨The Truth¨ Terry Pratchet
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 18, 2004