    ..html>, with a similarly positive result.

    The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
    produce a higher-quality result than closed source.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 6, 2005

  2. On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:14:17 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
    >that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
    >time of MySQL
    ><http://news.com.com/Study Few bugs in MySQL database/2100-1002_3-5563918
    >.html>, with a similarly positive result.
    >
    >The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
    >produce a higher-quality result than closed source.

    Not if the SCO & MS have there way..

    Plus how many Games run under it..??

    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Feb 6, 2005

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    <BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au> wrote in message

    > Plus how many Games run under it..??

    LOL wogor!

    Computing is not JUST about gaming!

    If you want gaming ability, buy a friggin playstation.

    Ryan Jacobs, Feb 6, 2005
  4. On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:30:23 +1300, BIG Bear wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:14:17 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
    >>that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
    >>time of MySQL
    >><http://news.com.com/Study Few bugs in MySQL database/2100-1002_3-5563918
    >>.html>, with a similarly positive result.
    >>
    >>The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
    >>produce a higher-quality result than closed source.

    > Not if the SCO & MS have there way..
    >
    > Plus how many Games run under it..??

    Why are MS releasing their buggy code as open source now ;)
    SCO - I thought people had forgetten about them.

    wogers nemesis, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Guest

    On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:34:32 +1300, Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > <BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Plus how many Games run under it..??
    >>

    > LOL wogor!
    >
    > Computing is not JUST about gaming!
    >
    > If you want gaming ability, buy a friggin playstation.

    I did a quick tally of the games presently installed on my Linux
    workstation.

    63 games.

    Divine

    --
    "Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
    They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult

    , Feb 6, 2005
  6. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    froggy Guest

    www.bzflag.org

    froggy, Feb 6, 2005
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Sun,
    06 Feb 2005 20:14:17 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> says...
    > Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
    > that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
    > time of MySQL
    > <http://news.com.com/Study Few bugs in MySQL database/2100-1002_3-5563918
    > .html>, with a similarly positive result.
    >
    > The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
    > produce a higher-quality result than closed source.

    uh uh, the nasa software team prdouces very high quality closed sourc
    code

    it is not the ideology - it is the methodology

    Adder, Feb 6, 2005
  8. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:14:17 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
    >>that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
    >>time of MySQL
    >><http://news.com.com/Study Few bugs in MySQL database/2100-1002_3-5563918
    >>.html>, with a similarly positive result.
    >>
    >>The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
    >>produce a higher-quality result than closed source.

    > Not if the SCO & MS have there way..

    I'm not sure if SCO and MS can in any way prevent open source from producing
    higher-quality results than closed source, no matter what they do.

    > Plus how many Games run under it..??

    That was not the point.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Feb 6, 2005
  9. froggy wrote:
    >>>If you want gaming ability, buy a friggin playstation.

    >>I did a quick tally of the games presently installed on my Linux
    >>workstation.
    >>63 games.

    > www.bzflag.org

    downloading now

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2005
  10. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Mark S Guest

    Errm, no the evidence merely states the number of bugs found in MySQL and
    the Linux core. It gives no comparision, additionally the "Linux Core" would
    be extremely hard to compare with Windows.

    Additionally they only reported 1 serious security flaw in MySQL yet I can
    go through my attack pattern files and find at least half a dozen relatively
    quickly.

    Mark S, Feb 6, 2005
  11. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "Mark S" <> wrote in message
    > Errm, no the evidence merely states the number of bugs found in MySQL and
    > the Linux core. It gives no comparision, additionally the "Linux Core"
    > would
    > be extremely hard to compare with Windows.
    >
    > Additionally they only reported 1 serious security flaw in MySQL yet I can
    > go through my attack pattern files and find at least half a dozen
    > relatively
    > quickly.

    Well that's buggered it up. Here we are with a nicely-developing open source
    self-love session and you come along and screw it up with some logic and
    facts. Have you no sense of shame ?

    C9H8O4, Feb 7, 2005
  12. In article <4206842b$0$56452$>,
    "Mark S" <> wrote:

    >Errm, no the evidence merely states the number of bugs found in MySQL and
    >the Linux core. It gives no comparision, additionally the "Linux Core" would
    >be extremely hard to compare with Windows.
    >
    >Additionally they only reported 1 serious security flaw in MySQL yet I can
    >go through my attack pattern files and find at least half a dozen relatively
    >quickly.
    >

    >"Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    >> Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
    >> that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
    >> time of MySQL
    >> <http://news.com.com/Study Few bugs in MySQL database/2100-1002_3-5563918
    >> .html>, with a similarly positive result.
    >>
    >> The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
    >> produce a higher-quality result than closed source.

    I don't see why.

    What other flaws?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 7, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    Adder <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on Sun,
    >06 Feb 2005 20:14:17 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <ldo@geek-
    >central.gen.new_zealand> says...
    >> Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
    >> that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
    >> time of MySQL
    >> <http://news.com.com/Study Few bugs in MySQL database/2100-1002_3-5563918
    >> .html>, with a similarly positive result.
    >>
    >> The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
    >> produce a higher-quality result than closed source.

    >uh uh, the nasa software team prdouces very high quality closed sourc
    >code

    I doubt NASA software is particularly proof against security flaws. It's
    not intended for a hostile environment.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 7, 2005
  14. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Mon,
    07 Feb 2005 22:05:44 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> says...
    > In article <>,
    > Adder <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <> in nz.comp on Sun,
    > >06 Feb 2005 20:14:17 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <ldo@geek-
    > >central.gen.new_zealand> says...
    > >> Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
    > >> that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
    > >> time of MySQL
    > >> <http://news.com.com/Study Few bugs in MySQL database/2100-1002_3-5563918
    > >> .html>, with a similarly positive result.
    > >>
    > >> The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
    > >> produce a higher-quality result than closed source.

    > >uh uh, the nasa software team prdouces very high quality closed sourc
    > >code

    > I doubt NASA software is particularly proof against security flaws. It's
    > not intended for a hostile environment.

    you sdidnt claim that
    you claimed, quote
    "The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
    produce a higher-quality result than closed source."

    where dies it say "security flawes"

    Adder, Feb 9, 2005
  15. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    paul Guest

    Adder wrote:

    > In article <> in nz.comp on Sun,
    > 06 Feb 2005 20:14:17 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <ldo@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> says...
    >
    >>Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
    >>that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
    >>time of MySQL
    >><http://news.com.com/Study Few bugs in MySQL database/2100-1002_3-5563918
    >>.html>, with a similarly positive result.
    >>
    >>The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
    >>produce a higher-quality result than closed source.

    > uh uh, the nasa software team prdouces very high quality closed sourc
    > code
    >
    > it is not the ideology - it is the methodology

    Maybe Nasa should open source their code. Haven't they had a couple of
    Mars probes take a nose dive into the planet?
    I think the French also blew up a few billion dollars worth of
    satellites due to software bugs in launch vehicles.

    Paul

    paul, Feb 10, 2005
  16. paul wrote:
    > Maybe Nasa should open source their code. Haven't they had a couple of
    > Mars probes take a nose dive into the planet?

    yeah but they were designed to do it :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 10, 2005
  17. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Adder Guest

    In article <420bdacf$> in nz.comp on Fri, 11 Feb 2005
    11:06:16 +1300, paul <> says...
    > Adder wrote:
    >
    > > In article <> in nz.comp on Sun,
    > > 06 Feb 2005 20:14:17 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <ldo@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> says...
    > >
    > >>Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
    > >>that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
    > >>time of MySQL
    > >><http://news.com.com/Study Few bugs in MySQL database/2100-1002_3-5563918
    > >>.html>, with a similarly positive result.
    > >>
    > >>The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
    > >>produce a higher-quality result than closed source.

    > > uh uh, the nasa software team prdouces very high quality closed sourc
    > > code
    > >
    > > it is not the ideology - it is the methodology
    > >

    > Maybe Nasa should open source their code. Haven't they had a couple of
    > Mars probes take a nose dive into the planet?

    which versions of Linux or any major open source packagehave benn 100%
    bugfree?

    LOL

    Adder, Feb 11, 2005