Open-Source Support

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2009.

  1. An example of how the community works <http://www.guardian.co.uk/help/insideguardian/2009/mar/25/sharing-contributing-caching>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jack Spratt Guest

    news:gqpr5k$e5b$...
    > An example of how the community works
    > <http://www.guardian.co.uk/help/insideguardian/2009/mar/25/sharing-contributing-caching>.

    Do you get paid by the URL?

    --
    Jack Spratt

    Jack Spratt, Mar 30, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:gqpr5k$e5b$...
    > An example of how the community works
    > <http://www.guardian.co.uk/help/insideguardian/2009/mar/25/sharing-contributing-caching>.

    That's a great story.

    They don't say (unless I missed it), but I wonder if the code of JBoss
    was not properly put together in terms of threading?

    I can't recall the term right now, but we used to have to be aware
    that if we split a process into multiple threads, that if two threads
    both tried to read and then write to shared data, potentially one
    overwrites the other.

    Maybe that's all gone now with most modern machines running multi-core
    processors, but it still appears to be a problem from where I am
    sitting?

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
    use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Mar 30, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    On Mar 30, 8:36 pm, "Alan" <> wrote:
    > They don't say (unless I missed it), but I wonder if the code of JBoss
    > was not properly put together in terms of threading?

    They did say (it was in the comments) - the problem wasn't a race
    condition or anything thread related. It was a more mundane bug
    related to misunderstanding of what a specific return value actually
    meant.

    https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBCACHE-1473

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 31, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in message
    On Mar 30, 8:36 pm, "Alan" <> wrote:
    >> They don't say (unless I missed it), but I wonder if the code of
    >> JBoss
    >> was not properly put together in terms of threading?

    >They did say (it was in the comments) - the problem wasn't a race
    >condition or anything thread related. It was a more mundane bug
    >related to misunderstanding of what a specific return value actually
    >meant.
    >
    >https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBCACHE-1473

    'Race condition' - that was the term I had forgotten!

    Thanks,

    Alan, Mar 31, 2009