"Open" (Source) Software - What Is It? Ask A Shill

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Ari Silverstein, Oct 22, 2010.

  1. I was reading Joe Hewitt's criticism of Android/Google not being truly
    open due to the advert and subsidy schemes it uses with the big cell
    carriers. Well duh Joe, tell us about how open Facebook is.

    http://joehewitt.com/post/android-and-open-source/

    "It kills me to hear the term "open" watered down so much. It bothers
    me that so many people's first exposure to the idea of open source is
    an occasional code drop, and not a vibrant community of collaborators
    like I discovered ten years ago with Mozilla. I am hoping that at some
    point it becomes practical for Google to move Android towards the
    Firefox model of open source, because I am sure that they want to."

    It's not that I disagree with Hewitt it's that once you have jumped
    ship to a tightly held, closed as hell, Facebook project, shouldn't
    you STFU trying to be holier than thou?

    Hey, Joe, either give back the money or find another topic. With Skype
    jumping into IT intercourse with Facebook, you a shill with no
    credibility anymore.
    --
    http://tr.im/1f8e
    Ari Silverstein, Oct 22, 2010

  2. Ari Silverstein

    Zax Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.privacy.anon-server.]
    On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:14:41 -0400, Ari Silverstein wrote in
    > It's not that I disagree with Hewitt it's that once you have jumped
    > ship to a tightly held, closed as hell, Facebook project, shouldn't
    > you STFU trying to be holier than thou?

    It must be a difficult decision for many software engineers. They go
    through university learning their trade and become firm believers in
    the principles of "open". Some probably manage to retain this principle
    throughout their working lives but I'll bet the majority, at some point
    in their careers will desire the security of a fixed income and a
    company pension.

    Google is to be highly commended IMO. They, along with a few other
    major players, have grasped the value of Open Software and offer their
    employees the chance to earn a reliable living without having to forfeit
    their principles.

    At the risk of kicking off the usual debates, I'd also say that this
    investment in "Open" helps to make the Windows licensing model look all
    the more ludicrous and unsustainable.

    --
    pub 1024D/8ED57743 2003-07-08 Bananasplit Operator
    Key fingerprint = 796F 67E0 E890 A0BB BDAE EBB4 94A6 7A09 8ED5 7743
    Zax, Oct 22, 2010

  3. On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 08:20:57 +0000 (UTC), Zax wrote:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.privacy.anon-server.]
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:14:41 -0400, Ari Silverstein wrote in
    >> It's not that I disagree with Hewitt it's that once you have jumped
    >> ship to a tightly held, closed as hell, Facebook project, shouldn't
    >> you STFU trying to be holier than thou?

    > It must be a difficult decision for many software engineers. They go
    > through university learning their trade and become firm believers in
    > the principles of "open". Some probably manage to retain this principle
    > throughout their working lives but I'll bet the majority, at some point
    > in their careers will desire the security of a fixed income and a
    > company pension.

    No doubt, no argument but if you either are required to go that route
    or choose to do so, it's more than a bit catty to slap up crticism on
    a well read blog and take on this attack on Android. Again, you
    snipped this part which is paramount to this discussion.

    "Hey, Joe, either give back the money or find another topic. With
    Skype jumping into IT intercourse with Facebook, you a shill with no
    credibility anymore."

    Skype 5.x is interlaced with Facebook, no options to omit this
    connection. If you upgrade which 90% of the people who use Skype are
    upgraders, Skype doesn't inform you of this new joint weenie shake.
    Then Joe comes along with his blog at the very same time Skype 5.x
    comes out. Blow me away, it's shilling and it is pure crap for him to
    do so.

    His blog is a direct sellout to Facebook, pure and simple and has
    little to nothing to do with his former pure, educational training,
    Zax.

    > Google is to be highly commended IMO. They, along with a few other
    > major players, have grasped the value of Open Software and offer their
    > employees the chance to earn a reliable living without having to forfeit
    > their principles.

    The "Google" argument to me is simple, Either you look at Google's
    good stuff or you weigh Google in its entirety. Along with their new
    hardcore line on "screw privacy", I weigh them heavy on the side of
    EEveeeeeel.

    > At the risk of kicking off the usual debates, I'd also say that this
    > investment in "Open" helps to make the Windows licensing model look all
    > the more ludicrous and unsustainable.

    Their server biz isn't the least bit threatened. I see little
    challenge to their PC biz either.
    --
    "It's Google's world, and we're just living in it." ~ Clint Bouton,
    2010
    Ari Silverstein, Oct 22, 2010
  4. On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 00:26:02 -0400, AzzMazta wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 00:25:18 -0400, AzzMazta wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:14:41 -0400, Ari Silverstein wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was reading Joe Hewitt's criticism of Android/Google not being truly
    >>> open due to the advert and subsidy schemes it uses with the big cell
    >>> carriers. Well duh Joe, tell us about how open Facebook is.

    >> Just found out about this one, I hate to like to anything by Wikimedia but
    >> read the whole thing:
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAL

    > like->link

    non->comprendo