    subscription for the program, so I'm wondering if there's an open source
    equivalent. If it only works on one computer that's OK, all I want to
    do is remotely connect to my home PC from the road.

    WCH, May 9, 2005

  2. WCH

    old jon Guest

    In winXP, go to help and type in remote, that`ll get you on your way.
    You have got winXP ?. ..J

    old jon, May 9, 2005

  3. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Forgot to mention -- both my desktop and laptop run Windows 2000 Pro, so
    the built-in remote of XP is not an option for me.

    WCH, May 9, 2005
  4. WCH

    old jon Guest

    Hi again, suggest asking in alt.comp.freeware, it`s a great site fo the free
    stuff. best wishes..J

    old jon, May 9, 2005
  5. WCH

    Scrote Guest

    WCH wrote:
    >> I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another
    >> computer via a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is
    >> established, you see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen
    >> and just click and type away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly
    >> subscription for the program, so I'm wondering if there's an open
    >> source equivalent. If it only works on one computer that's OK, all
    >> I want to do is remotely connect to my home PC from the road.

    1.Free(limited) http://www.realvnc.com/products/features.html
    2. I use (not free but free trial)
    http://www.netsupportsoftware.com/nsm/netsupport_manager_overview.htm
    --
    He had a mind so fine that no idea could violate it.
    -- T. S. Eliot (on Henry James)

    Scrote, May 9, 2005
  6. WCH

    Parko Guest

    WCH wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

    > I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another computer
    > via a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is
    > established, you see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen and
    > just click and type away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly
    > subscription for the program, so I'm wondering if there's an open source
    > equivalent. If it only works on one computer that's OK, all I want to
    > do is remotely connect to my home PC from the road.

    Open Source, GPL, cross platform, free to use:
    http://www.tightvnc.com/
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, May 9, 2005
  7. WCH

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, WCH mused:

    | I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another computer
    | via a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is
    | established, you see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen
    | and just click and type away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly
    | subscription for the program, so I'm wondering if there's an open
    | source equivalent. If it only works on one computer that's OK, all I
    | want to do is remotely connect to my home PC from the road.

    Better than Real and Tight variants ... UltraVNC ... file
    transfers, encryption, MS Logon authentication ... I don't think any of
    the VNC variants are open source, but they are free to use.

    www.ultravnc.com

    mhicaoidh, May 9, 2005
  8. WCH

    Guest Guest

    "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailS­PäM.com> wrote in message
    > Taking a moment's reflection, WCH mused:
    > |
    > | I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another
    > computer
    > | via a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is
    > | established, you see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen
    > | and just click and type away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly
    > | subscription for the program, so I'm wondering if there's an open
    > | source equivalent. If it only works on one computer that's OK, all
    > | want to do is remotely connect to my home PC from the road.
    >
    > Better than Real and Tight variants ... UltraVNC ... file
    > transfers, encryption, MS Logon authentication ... I don't think any
    > of
    > the VNC variants are open source, but they are free to use.
    >
    > www.ultravnc.com

    The encryption (of your traffic) requires a separate plug-in. A link is
    available on UltraVNC's web site. You might want to talk with the IT
    dept or sysadmin at work since running remote software, like
    Ultra/Real/TightVNC, will probably violate company policy. If you want
    to connect to home, they probably want to control the remote channel and
    through what part of their network you connect to your home PC (so, for
    example, your home PC remains on the outside of their firewall).
    Remember that your home network is not protected regardless of what you
    install, because being protected means your company gets to manage that
    network. While not the only cause for termination, I have seen an
    employee get canned because they bypassed corporate security and
    infested their network with crap the user brought in through a violate
    remote connection to their home network.

    ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
    For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

    Guest, May 9, 2005
  9. WCH

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Here's one that is low cost... www.radmin.com $35.00, no monthly user fee.

    Toolman Tim, May 10, 2005
  10. WCH

    intrepidexchange

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Easy & Free

    I use logmein.com, I've been using it for a while now and although I havent signed up for the paid version (transfer files through the program) I am able to completely control multiple pc's (i have about 12 active now) easily for free!

    intrepidexchange, Jun 25, 2006
  11. WCH

    Grendel

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Hello,
    schools & universities with PC seminars would greatly profit from a VNC
    program if it were able not only to transfer the screen from one pc to
    many, but remote control a number of pcs via an admin station to be
    either able to set up a number of pcs in a certain way or manage them
    simultaneously. The idea is to have only one screen, but move the mouse on 20 pcs at the same time. Is there such a software?
    best regards,

    Grendel

    p.s.: I've been using teamviewer recently for single pc control, a very good program.

    Grendel, Jan 18, 2009