Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Bottom Line Computer, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom

    http://perens.com/Articles/OSD.html What is open source exactly?
    It's software that is free for some uses, which can be distributed
    freely, and which can be studied or modified by the users.

    Where does it come from? In the early days, open source software was
    written by programmers who were dissatisfied with the commercial
    software that was available, so they decided to write their own.
    Having done so, they decided to make their work freely available so that
    others could enjoy the benefits of their work. Most often, these
    programmers worked in university computer science departments, and had
    the funds and the free time to create great software such as the
    http://www.bsd.org BSD suite of Internet software, which is the basis
    for almost all of the Intenret today. Even Microsoft has used BSD code
    in their operating systems.
    More recently, large corporations such as IBM have become involved in
    open source, on the theory that if the software is freely available and
    of high quality, then that will help sell more computers.

    Is it really free? It depends. If you just want it for personal use,
    then it's free. If you want ot use it for comemrcial purposes, or of you
    want tech support from the vendor, then you may have to pay money, but it
    will still be far less expensive than comparable commercial software.

    Is it shareware? Not exactly. Because the source code is freely available,
    it's much more trustworthy than shareware. Thousands of programmers across
    the world have checked it for bugs.

    Is it high quality? The major open source products are very high quality,
    comparable with expensive commercial software.

    Is it just for programmers? No. It's especially useful if you're a
    programmer, because if you don't like how it works, you can change it to
    work the way you want to. But even if you're not a programmer, you can still
    benefit from the high quality of open source software.

    Is it hard to use? On the average, no harder than commercial software of
    comparable quality.

    Can I get support? Yes. There are many options. You can hire a support
    company, such as Bottom Line Computer, to give you tech support. Or, in most
    cases, you can buy a support license from the distributor of the aoftware.

    Is it compatible? Open source software is far more likely to be compatible
    with open stadnards for file formats and netwrok protocols than commercial
    software will be. commercial vendors use proprietary formats and protocols to
    try to force you to keep using their software, and paying their license fees,
    once you've started using it. This is called vendor lockin and it's one reason
    commercial software licenses are so expensive. It gives the vendor a local
    monopoly over you computer. Your data is held hostage. Open source frees you
    from that.

    Also, many open source products work with "industry standard" proprietary
    formats such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and with protocols such as Microsoft
    file sharing (SMB/CIFS).

    Do you have to commit to a new operating system? No, you don't. You can run
    whatever version of Windows you like, and open source software will run on it.
    In fact, it will probably run better. Open source software is often much more
    efficient than commercial software, and uses less resources. Switching to open
    source can save you the expense of upgrading your old computer.

    <hr>

    Some open source software that runs on Windows...

    http://www.abiword.org/ AbiWord - a word processor that reads and writes
    Word documents.

    http://www.openoffice.org/ OpenOffice - a free, open source substitute for
    Microsoft Word. Supports Word, Excel and PowerPoint formats. Uses less system
    resources than Office.

    http://www.mozilla.org/ Mozilla - a Web browser with better security than
    Internet Explorer, built-in popup blocking and tabbed browsing.

    http://www.blender.org/ Blender - a 3D modelling and animation program.
    Used to be commercial software.

    http://dev.mysql.com/ MySQL - a relational database engine suitable for
    medium-sized projects.

    http://httpd.apache.org/ Apache - the predominant Web server on the Internet.

    http://techsupp.blcss.com/#opensource Home link

    Southern New Hampshire residents: don't throw away that old broken computer.
    Call us first: 603-244-1652. We'll fix it cheap, or take it off your hands.

    ..

    Bottom Line Computer, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Bottom Line Computer

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom

    Please stop spamming the groups with your ADVERTISEMENT.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Bottom Line Computer

    Rowland Guest

    Leythos wrote:

    >In article <>, says...
    >

    >>Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom
    >>

    >Please stop spamming the groups with your ADVERTISEMENT.

    Well, excuse me, I thought it was perfectly on topic. Perhaps you
    should try to get over yourself.

    --
    Spammers' real email addresses:

    Southeastern NH residents:
    Don't throw out that broken computer yet! Call 603-244-1652
    Check out my Java, SQL and Python samples at http://rowland.blcss.com/

    For sale: Unique and energy efficient hobbit home in New Hampshire:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ego/rowland/mm.index.html

    Rowland, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Bottom Line Computer

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:23:06 -0400, Rowland
    <> wrote:

    >Leythos wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, says...
    >>

    >>>Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom
    >>>

    >>Please stop spamming the groups with your ADVERTISEMENT.
    >>

    >Well, excuse me, I thought it was perfectly on topic. Perhaps you
    >should try to get over yourself.

    it looks like you thought wrong, try playing in the comp. newsgroups

    Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included,

    127.0.0.1, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Bottom Line Computer

    Jim Watt Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Well, excuse me, I thought it was perfectly on topic.

    Not in alt.computer security.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jun 8, 2004
  6. Bottom Line Computer

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, says...
    > >

    > >>Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom
    > >>

    > >Please stop spamming the groups with your ADVERTISEMENT.
    > >

    > Well, excuse me, I thought it was perfectly on topic. Perhaps you
    > should try to get over yourself.

    Your information, part of it, is on-topic for the most part, but the
    ending part is just a blatant advertisement and as such it's outside the
    charter for some of the groups you spammed it to.

    Most of what you posted has nothing to do with security, which makes it
    look like you posted something so that you could claim that your sig was
    not an advertisement (which appears to be the sole basis for you post).

    I let it slide the first time you did it, but thought I might mention it
    this time.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Jun 8, 2004
  7. Bottom Line Computer

    Rowland Guest

    I'll grant it shouldn't have gone to nh.forsale. That was an error on
    my part. But I think the content has obvious implications for computer
    security.

    Rowland, Jun 9, 2004
  8. Bottom Line Computer

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I'll grant it shouldn't have gone to nh.forsale. That was an error on
    > my part. But I think the content has obvious implications for computer
    > security.

    How do you see security implications in talking about using open-source
    products vs non-open-source products?

    I think the content was more about options available to users and what
    those options are - I didn't really see anything that stood out about
    security.

    One thing you might want to know, the Windows platform can be secured
    for use by common users.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Jun 9, 2004
  9. "Rowland" <> wrote in message
    > I'll grant it shouldn't have gone to nh.forsale. That was an error on
    > my part. But I think the content has obvious implications for computer
    > security.

    So obvious that the subject didn't even get a mention?

    (Cough) Troll (cough)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Jun 9, 2004
  10. You both should take this off line as the rest of us really
    don't want to follow your not being able to play nice.

    You have a nice day now, John

    John D. Adamson, Jun 9, 2004
  11. Bottom Line Computer

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:35:46 GMT, "John D. Adamson" <>
    wrote:

    >You both should take this off line as the rest of us really
    >don't want to follow your not being able to play nice.
    >
    >You have a nice day now, John

    And you really had to top post and include the ENTIRE spam ?

    <snip>
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com