Open Source Officially “Mainstreamâ€

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 12, 2010.

  1. <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/analyst-open-source-officially-crosses-the-chasm-into-mainstream-adoption/7101>:

    ... almost 70 percent of corporate customers say they are using Linux at
    the operating system layer, 65 percent are using open source at the
    database tier and about 60 percent are now using GPL-based programming
    languages.

    “We saw it was not quite as important in 2010 as in [our] 2009 survey.
    It’s not top of list but there’s good reason for that: it’s already
    happened. We’re there. We asked developers and asked different [users]
    using open source and its all over the place,†he said, noting, however,
    that open source still tops the survey in terms of technology deployment
    for this year.

    In one of the surveys aimed at a group composed of quite a few .NET
    developers, only one in five said they are not using any open source and
    roughly 20 percent say they are contibuting to at least one open source
    project, Hammond said.

    One in four users of open source contributing back to open source projects?
    I’d say that’s not a bad ratio. What proportion of users of proprietary
    projects contribute back to them? :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 12, 2010