  1. Stewart Fleming

    Guest

    , Jul 15, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Stewart Fleming <> wrote:

    >http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=12417&cid=3&cname=Technology

    I keep wondering what will happen when the kids find out what kind of
    fun stuff there can be packed into a typical Linux distro. And SuSE is
    one of the more feature-laden ones...

    Speaking of which, are there many young hacker types around? You see
    them in fictional TV programs and movies, but I've yet to meet one in
    real life.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 15, 2005
  3. Stewart Fleming

    Philip Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Stewart Fleming <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=12417&cid=3&cname=Technology

    > I keep wondering what will happen when the kids find out what kind of
    > fun stuff there can be packed into a typical Linux distro. And SuSE is
    > one of the more feature-laden ones...
    >
    > Speaking of which, are there many young hacker types around? You see
    > them in fictional TV programs and movies, but I've yet to meet one in
    > real life.

    This is because in the nature of the beast they don't get out a lot...

    Philip

    Philip, Jul 15, 2005
  4. In article <>, Philip <>
    wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Stewart Fleming <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=12417&cid=3&cname=Technology

    >> I keep wondering what will happen when the kids find out what kind of
    >> fun stuff there can be packed into a typical Linux distro. And SuSE is
    >> one of the more feature-laden ones...
    >>
    >> Speaking of which, are there many young hacker types around? You see
    >> them in fictional TV programs and movies, but I've yet to meet one in
    >> real life.

    >This is because in the nature of the beast they don't get out a lot...

    The other weekend I met a young boy (son of a friend of mine from
    University days). In-between him giving me a detailed explanation of the
    rules of the "Lord of the Rings" board game, we managed to have an
    intelligent conversation about the battle of Agincourt, properties of
    the Pythagorean solids, and topology.

    The surprising thing to me was, no one had introduced him to the idea of
    programming a computer. It could very well be that he has no aptitude
    for it, but somehow I think that's unlikely. I think the real reason is
    that none of the adults around him knows enough about the subject to
    bring it up.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 15, 2005
  5. Stewart Fleming

    Guest

    , Jul 15, 2005
  6. Stewart Fleming

    Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, Philip <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>>I keep wondering what will happen when the kids find out what kind of
    >>>fun stuff there can be packed into a typical Linux distro. And SuSE is
    >>>one of the more feature-laden ones...
    >>>
    >>>Speaking of which, are there many young hacker types around? You see
    >>>them in fictional TV programs and movies, but I've yet to meet one in
    >>>real life.

    >>This is because in the nature of the beast they don't get out a lot...

    > The other weekend I met a young boy (son of a friend of mine from
    > University days). In-between him giving me a detailed explanation of the
    > rules of the "Lord of the Rings" board game, we managed to have an
    > intelligent conversation about the battle of Agincourt, properties of
    > the Pythagorean solids, and topology.
    >
    > The surprising thing to me was, no one had introduced him to the idea of
    > programming a computer. It could very well be that he has no aptitude
    > for it, but somehow I think that's unlikely. I think the real reason is
    > that none of the adults around him knows enough about the subject to
    > bring it up.

    Or dont want to. A friend of mine seems to be steering her child at the
    arts....

    Yet he is really good with lego & knex.

    regards

    Thing

    , Jul 15, 2005
  7. Stewart Fleming

    Shane Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:44:05 +1200, wrote:

    > Stewart Fleming wrote:
    >>

    >> http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=12417&cid=3&cname=Technology
    >>

    > btw, was it ever banned?
    >
    > Or simply not acknoledged as being used?
    >
    > I know at least 1 school and 2 techs that ran Linux....going back to 2000.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    The company I work for oversee's several local schools, the strategy
    they/we use has been windows in the classrooms, linux on the 'backbone'.
    I personally would like to see more linux in classrooms, as that negates
    the, 'it costs more to train linux staff BS', with products like mandriva
    and suse being ideal candidates for workstation use.
    Mind you, in the background we are running SME on the servers, which is
    an rpm based distro from contribs.org, and (IMO) not as easy to admin as
    some of the other distros about, but it does have a funky web based
    frontend, which is why I think its being used

    Shane, Jul 15, 2005
  8. Stewart Fleming

    Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:44:05 +1200, wrote:
    >

    >>Stewart Fleming wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=12417&cid=3&cname=Technology
    >>>

    >>btw, was it ever banned?
    >>
    >>Or simply not acknoledged as being used?
    >>
    >>I know at least 1 school and 2 techs that ran Linux....going back to 2000.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing

    > The company I work for oversee's several local schools, the strategy
    > they/we use has been windows in the classrooms, linux on the 'backbone'.

    Interesting...4~5 years ago the few people I knew supporting schools
    were all MS only......no one touched Linux.....how far we have come....

    Makes you wonder just how much impact Linux is having on MS's server
    share in the real SMB world (is it far further than we can see?) I guess
    MS can see it overall, and I bet they wont be realeasing any figures.

    > I personally would like to see more linux in classrooms, as that negates
    > the, 'it costs more to train linux staff BS', with products like mandriva
    > and suse being ideal candidates for workstation use.
    > Mind you, in the background we are running SME on the servers, which is
    > an rpm based distro from contribs.org, and (IMO) not as easy to admin as
    > some of the other distros about, but it does have a funky web based
    > frontend, which is why I think its being used

    Give them vnc client and server on a windows desktop....they can have
    their cake and eat it...

    I rate webmin highly, its quite usable but the biggest advantage is it
    runs on RH, Debian, Solaris (to name but 3) so you have a common
    interface that is also secure, (ACLs etc) and allow various levels and
    areas of admin.

    regards

    Thing

    , Jul 16, 2005
  9. Stewart Fleming

    Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Stewart Fleming <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=12417&cid=3&cname=Technology

    > I keep wondering what will happen when the kids find out what kind of
    > fun stuff there can be packed into a typical Linux distro. And SuSE is
    > one of the more feature-laden ones...

    Not to mention all the other GPL software out there.....a browse through
    rpmfind.net and sourceforge reveals thousands of programs all
    downloadable for free none of the warez cr*p.

    regards

    Thing

    , Jul 16, 2005
  10. Stewart Fleming, Jul 16, 2005
  11. Stewart Fleming

    Bret Guest

    Bret, Jul 16, 2005
  12. Stewart Fleming

    shannon Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:50:36 +1200, Stewart Fleming
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:

    >>>btw, was it ever banned?

    >>Subtle nod to last week's thread...

    > It's still banned in that school.

    Yet you did say that they are a state school.
    Perhaps its just personal.

    "Novell has signed a national agreement with the New Zealand Ministry of
    Education to provide all state and state-integrated schools with a range
    of Novell software, including SUSE Linux operating systems."

    shannon, Jul 16, 2005
  13. Stewart Fleming

    Rob J Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Stewart Fleming wrote:
    >>

    >> http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=12417&cid=3&cname=Technology
    >>

    >btw, was it ever banned?
    >
    >Or simply not acknoledged as being used?
    >
    >I know at least 1 school and 2 techs that ran Linux....going back to 2000.

    The article title is a troll, but no more so than the thread claiming
    open source was banned in schools.

    Rob J, Jul 16, 2005
  14. Stewart Fleming

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:12:05 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:50:36 +1200, Stewart Fleming
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Subtle nod to last week's thread...

    >> It's still banned in that school.

    >Yet you did say that they are a state school.
    >Perhaps its just personal.

    Sadly, you may be right.

    Bret, Jul 17, 2005
  15. Stewart Fleming

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 23:16:44 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:44:05 +1200, ""
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Stewart Fleming wrote:
    >>>

    >>> http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=12417&cid=3&cname=Technology
    >>>

    >>btw, was it ever banned?
    >>
    >>Or simply not acknoledged as being used?
    >>
    >>I know at least 1 school and 2 techs that ran Linux....going back to 2000.

    >The article title is a troll, but no more so than the thread claiming
    >open source was banned in schools.

    Must have missed that one Rob.

    Bret, Jul 17, 2005
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 17, 2005
  17. On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:57:47 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Speaking of which, are there many young hacker types around? You see
    > them in fictional TV programs and movies, but I've yet to meet one in
    > real life.

    I think they're most likely to be people who don't want to attract
    attention to themselves. Though when I was studying Information Technology
    down in Wellington, I heard stories of international students doing
    naughty things to international infrastructure.

    But don't doubt that there's no one dabbling in the sharp side of
    computing. I still find it great fun installing all the php/
    mysql type software @ sourceforge, seeing how it works, seeing how I can
    sell services to support it etc...

    Having said that, I don't consider myself to be young anymore *sigh*.

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jul 31, 2005