    to their innovative bit, they were able to take advantage of the existing
    work that had already been done, and start immediately from there.

    Standing on the shoulders of giants, indeed...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 22, 2005

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Impossible Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:djburm$d60$...
    > While Microsoft is still playing catch-up to Firefox with its
    > yet-to-be-released Internet Explorer 7, the Open Source world
    > continues to
    > leap ahead...
    >
    > The latest news on the browser front is Flock
    > <http://news.com.com/New+browser+gives+taste+of+Web+2.0/2100-1046_3-5905922.html>,
    > which takes a radically different approach to how you work with the
    > Web.
    > Instead of personal bookmarks, it hooks into the del.icio.us
    > bookmark-sharing service. It has integrated support for both RSS and
    > blogging, as well as the Flickr photo-sharing service.
    >
    > And all this was built by starting with the Firefox code. Instead of
    > having
    > to reinvent basic browser functionality from scratch before they
    > could get
    > to their innovative bit, they were able to take advantage of the
    > existing
    > work that had already been done, and start immediately from there.
    >
    > Standing on the shoulders of giants, indeed...

    Your unqualified enthusiasm here seems a bit premature. Press releases
    issued by start-ups like Flock can hardly be considered an objective
    basis for evaluating a product, especially one that's only available
    now as a "developer preview". CNET will tout almost anything sight
    unseen. What about you? Have you actually downloaded the source code
    and binaries and got this thing running yourself?
    Impossible, Oct 22, 2005

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:23:50 -0400, Impossible wrote:

    > Have you actually downloaded the source code
    > and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

    Binaries
    Linux
    http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=linux
    Mac
    http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=mac
    Windows
    http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=win

    Source
    GPL'd code
    http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-source-0.4.9-gpl
    MPL'd code
    http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-source-0.4.9-mpl

    HTH

    Shane, Oct 22, 2005
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    shannon Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    > message news:djburm$d60$...
    >
    >>While Microsoft is still playing catch-up to Firefox with its
    >>yet-to-be-released Internet Explorer 7, the Open Source world
    >>continues to
    >>leap ahead...
    >>
    >>The latest news on the browser front is Flock
    >><http://news.com.com/New+browser+gives+taste+of+Web+2.0/2100-1046_3-5905922.html>,
    >>which takes a radically different approach to how you work with the
    >>Web.
    >>Instead of personal bookmarks, it hooks into the del.icio.us
    >>bookmark-sharing service. It has integrated support for both RSS and
    >>blogging, as well as the Flickr photo-sharing service.
    >>
    >>And all this was built by starting with the Firefox code. Instead of
    >>having
    >>to reinvent basic browser functionality from scratch before they
    >>could get
    >>to their innovative bit, they were able to take advantage of the
    >>existing
    >>work that had already been done, and start immediately from there.
    >>
    >>Standing on the shoulders of giants, indeed...

    > Your unqualified enthusiasm here seems a bit premature. Press releases
    > issued by start-ups like Flock can hardly be considered an objective
    > basis for evaluating a product, especially one that's only available
    > now as a "developer preview". CNET will tout almost anything sight
    > unseen. What about you? Have you actually downloaded the source code
    > and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

    Yep, I just downloaded it, its got the same installer as firefox
    Why would you need the source code AND the binaries ?
    There is a Windows binary available.

    Firefox with the Sage extension is good for RSS.
    I like that approach better, maybe their functionality will be released
    as extensions.
    shannon, Oct 22, 2005
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Impossible Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:23:50 -0400, Impossible wrote:
    >
    >> Have you actually downloaded the source code
    >> and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

    > Binaries
    > Linux
    > http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=linux
    > Mac
    > http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=mac
    > Windows
    > http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=win
    >
    > Source
    > GPL'd code
    > http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-source-0.4.9-gpl
    > MPL'd code
    > http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-source-0.4.9-mpl

    The links are not a mystery -- it's an objective review I'm interested
    in.
    Impossible, Oct 22, 2005
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    shannon Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:23:50 -0400, Impossible wrote:
    >>

    >>>Have you actually downloaded the source code
    >>>and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

    >>Binaries
    >>Linux
    >>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=linux
    >>Mac
    >>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=mac
    >>Windows
    >>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=win
    >>
    >>Source
    >>GPL'd code
    >>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-source-0.4.9-gpl
    >>MPL'd code
    >>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-source-0.4.9-mpl
    >>

    > The links are not a mystery -- it's an objective review I'm interested
    > in.

    Why would you rather trust someone elses opinion
    shannon, Oct 22, 2005
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Impossible Guest

    "shannon" <> wrote in message
    > Impossible wrote:
    >> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >> message news:djburm$d60$...
    >>
    >>>While Microsoft is still playing catch-up to Firefox with its
    >>>yet-to-be-released Internet Explorer 7, the Open Source world
    >>>continues to
    >>>leap ahead...
    >>>
    >>>The latest news on the browser front is Flock
    >>><http://news.com.com/New+browser+gives+taste+of+Web+2.0/2100-1046_3-5905922.html>,
    >>>which takes a radically different approach to how you work with the
    >>>Web.
    >>>Instead of personal bookmarks, it hooks into the del.icio.us
    >>>bookmark-sharing service. It has integrated support for both RSS
    >>>and
    >>>blogging, as well as the Flickr photo-sharing service.
    >>>
    >>>And all this was built by starting with the Firefox code. Instead
    >>>of having
    >>>to reinvent basic browser functionality from scratch before they
    >>>could get
    >>>to their innovative bit, they were able to take advantage of the
    >>>existing
    >>>work that had already been done, and start immediately from there.
    >>>
    >>>Standing on the shoulders of giants, indeed...

    >> Your unqualified enthusiasm here seems a bit premature. Press
    >> releases issued by start-ups like Flock can hardly be considered an
    >> objective basis for evaluating a product, especially one that's
    >> only available now as a "developer preview". CNET will tout almost
    >> anything sight unseen. What about you? Have you actually downloaded
    >> the source code and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

    > Yep, I just downloaded it, its got the same installer as firefox
    > Why would you need the source code AND the binaries ?

    I don't need either, but a developer might -- which is why the Flock
    site makes these available, I presume.

    > There is a Windows binary available.

    Not from Flock, who warn:

    "We are building on top of the Mozilla platform, which we believe to
    be a very secure foundation. However, you should know that we have not
    yet done a full security audit and there are likely security
    vulnerabilities that we have created and have not discovered. The
    current Developer Preview of Flock is aimed at developers, and we do
    not recommend that you use it as your primary browser just yet."
    (http://www.flock.com/about/faq.php)

    Just so you know.

    Impossible, Oct 22, 2005
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Shane Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:48:18 -0400, Impossible wrote:

    > "shannon" <> wrote in message
    >> Impossible wrote:
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message news:djburm$d60$...

    >>> Your unqualified enthusiasm here seems a bit premature. Press
    >>> releases issued by start-ups like Flock can hardly be considered an
    >>> objective basis for evaluating a product, especially one that's
    >>> only available now as a "developer preview". CNET will tout almost
    >>> anything sight unseen. What about you? Have you actually downloaded
    >>> the source code and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

    >> Yep, I just downloaded it, its got the same installer as firefox
    >> Why would you need the source code AND the binaries ?

    > I don't need either, but a developer might -- which is why the Flock
    > site makes these available, I presume.
    >
    >> There is a Windows binary available.

    > Not from Flock, who warn:
    >
    > "We are building on top of the Mozilla platform, which we believe to
    > be a very secure foundation. However, you should know that we have not
    > yet done a full security audit and there are likely security
    > vulnerabilities that we have created and have not discovered. The
    > current Developer Preview of Flock is aimed at developers, and we do
    > not recommend that you use it as your primary browser just yet."
    > (http://www.flock.com/about/faq.php)
    >
    > Just so you know.

    Bugger..you mean I have to use one of my other browsers for a primary
    browser.. just because this ones been marked...
    "Developer Preview Download"
    Gosh darn.. I thought that meant final release :\

    Shane, Oct 22, 2005
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Impossible Guest

    "shannon" <> wrote in message
    > Impossible wrote:
    >> "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message

    >>>Binaries
    >>>Linux
    >>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=linux
    >>>Mac
    >>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=mac
    >>>Windows
    >>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-0.4.9&os=win
    >>>
    >>>Source
    >>>GPL'd code
    >>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-source-0.4.9-gpl
    >>>MPL'd code
    >>>http://downloads.flock.com/?product=flock-source-0.4.9-mpl
    >>>

    >> The links are not a mystery -- it's an objective review I'm
    >> interested in.

    > Why would you rather trust someone elses opinion

    Because I can't be bothered trialing untested software written by an
    unproven bunch of coders.
    Impossible, Oct 22, 2005
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    shannon Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "shannon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>>message news:djburm$d60$...

    >>>Your unqualified enthusiasm here seems a bit premature. Press
    >>>releases issued by start-ups like Flock can hardly be considered an
    >>>objective basis for evaluating a product, especially one that's
    >>>only available now as a "developer preview". CNET will tout almost
    >>>anything sight unseen. What about you? Have you actually downloaded
    >>>the source code and binaries and got this thing running yourself?

    >>Yep, I just downloaded it, its got the same installer as firefox
    >>Why would you need the source code AND the binaries ?

    > I don't need either, but a developer might -- which is why the Flock
    > site makes these available, I presume.
    >

    >>There is a Windows binary available.

    > Not from Flock, who warn:
    >
    > "We are building on top of the Mozilla platform, which we believe to
    > be a very secure foundation. However, you should know that we have not
    > yet done a full security audit and there are likely security
    > vulnerabilities that we have created and have not discovered. The
    > current Developer Preview of Flock is aimed at developers, and we do
    > not recommend that you use it as your primary browser just yet."
    > (http://www.flock.com/about/faq.php)
    >
    > Just so you know.

    Ooooooooooooh Scary !!!

    You really didn't choose your nick on a whim did you ?

    shannon, Oct 22, 2005
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    shannon Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "shannon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message

    >>>The links are not a mystery -- it's an objective review I'm
    >>>interested in.

    >>Why would you rather trust someone elses opinion

    > Because I can't be bothered trialing untested software written by an
    > unproven bunch of coders.

    Then why would you be interested in a review from an unproven reviewer ?

    RSS Atom Flikr del.icio.us etc are all new untested stuff.

    Because you can't be bother LOL
    Yet you had to post a little sour spit.
    How lame.
    shannon, Oct 22, 2005
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Impossible Guest

    "shannon" <> wrote in message
    > Impossible wrote:
    >> "shannon" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>There is a Windows binary available.

    >> Not from Flock, who warn:
    >>
    >> "We are building on top of the Mozilla platform, which we believe
    >> to be a very secure foundation. However, you should know that we
    >> have not yet done a full security audit and there are likely
    >> security vulnerabilities that we have created and have not
    >> discovered. The current Developer Preview of Flock is aimed at
    >> developers, and we do not recommend that you use it as your primary
    >> browser just yet." (http://www.flock.com/about/faq.php)
    >>
    >> Just so you know.

    > Ooooooooooooh Scary !!!

    I think the Flock folks meant it to be. Suit yourself.
    Impossible, Oct 22, 2005
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Impossible Guest

    "shannon" <> wrote in message
    > Impossible wrote:
    >> "shannon" <> wrote in message

    >>>Why would you rather trust someone elses opinion

    >> Because I can't be bothered trialing untested software written by
    >> an unproven bunch of coders.
    >>

    > Then why would you be interested in a review from an unproven
    > reviewer ?

    Well, I wouldn't. But then a proven reviewer is hard to find these
    days, so you take what you can get. Preferably, I'd sift through a
    variety of sources, looking for what seem to be informed
    opinions --"informed" meaning they've actually tried the bloody thing
    and aren't just blathering for the sake of promoting OSS, or Windows,
    or whatever it is that pays their bills.

    > RSS Atom Flikr del.icio.us etc are all new untested stuff.

    Not really. RSS has been around for while in various forms. As for the
    likes of Flikr and del.icio.us, I'm not sure there is anything new
    there at all -- or useful..
    Impossible, Oct 22, 2005
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "shannon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message

    >>>The links are not a mystery -- it's an objective review I'm
    >>>interested in.

    >>Why would you rather trust someone elses opinion

    > Because I can't be bothered trialing untested software written by an
    > unproven bunch of coders.

    "unproven bunch of coders" - ROTFL
    -=rjh=-, Oct 22, 2005
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "shannon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>>"shannon" <> wrote in message

    >>>Because I can't be bothered trialing untested software written by
    >>>an unproven bunch of coders.
    >>>

    >>Then why would you be interested in a review from an unproven
    >>reviewer ?

    > Well, I wouldn't. But then a proven reviewer is hard to find these
    > days, so you take what you can get. Preferably, I'd sift through a
    > variety of sources, looking for what seem to be informed
    > opinions --"informed" meaning they've actually tried the bloody thing
    > and aren't just blathering for the sake of promoting OSS, or Windows,
    > or whatever it is that pays their bills.
    >

    >>RSS Atom Flikr del.icio.us etc are all new untested stuff.
    >>

    > Not really. RSS has been around for while in various forms. As for the
    > likes of Flikr and del.icio.us, I'm not sure there is anything new
    > there at all -- or useful..

    Fine, pull your head in and let those of us who can find a use for these
    just get on with it.

    I rate Flickr very highly and use it quite a lot; I tried del.icio.us a
    while ago and have just started finding it much more useful since I've
    been using Flock. Doesn't sound like you've used either of them.

    I doubt that Flock itself will be a huge success (though it hurts nobody
    if it is) but it does show some ideas for how innovation in the browser
    area may happen. It is an incremental step from Firefox+Bookmarklets.
    The Flickr and del.icio.us integration is interesting. I could see that
    communities like Xanga might jump to a customised browser for improved
    access to their resources - it will never happen with IE, but could
    happen with a FF derivative like Flock.

    The Flock skin will almost certainly appear on FF (if it hasn't already)
    as it is very fresh and clean. I like it.

    The bookmarks toolbar can be organised into groups so you can customise
    it for what you are doing - one set of bookmarks for work, one for play etc.

    Autocomplete on searching - results load as you are typing them in. Like
    Spotlight. Very fast.

    I don't think it is as revolutionary as the developers have hyped it up,
    but it is an interesting and great product all the same, and I think
    some of its features may go back into FF.

    Meanwhile IE looks sicker by the day, imagine how dated it will be by
    the time Vista is released!

    All IMHO and YMMV.
    -=rjh=-, Oct 22, 2005
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    steve Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > And all this was built by starting with the Firefox code. Instead of
    > having to reinvent basic browser functionality from scratch before they
    > could get to their innovative bit, they were able to take advantage of the
    > existing work that had already been done, and start immediately from
    > there.
    >
    > Standing on the shoulders of giants, indeed...

    Makes sense....
    steve, Oct 22, 2005
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    shannon Guest

    Impossible wrote:
    > "shannon" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>>"shannon" <> wrote in message

    >>>Because I can't be bothered trialing untested software written by
    >>>an unproven bunch of coders.
    >>>

    >>Then why would you be interested in a review from an unproven
    >>reviewer ?

    > Well, I wouldn't. But then a proven reviewer is hard to find these
    > days, so you take what you can get. Preferably, I'd sift through a
    > variety of sources, looking for what seem to be informed
    > opinions --"informed" meaning they've actually tried the bloody thing
    > and aren't just blathering for the sake of promoting OSS, or Windows,
    > or whatever it is that pays their bills.
    >

    >>RSS Atom Flikr del.icio.us etc are all new untested stuff.
    >>

    > Not really. RSS has been around for while in various forms. As for the
    > likes of Flikr and del.icio.us, I'm not sure there is anything new
    > there at all -- or useful..

    Maybe not to yourself, but they are obviously popular and useful to
    their large user base.
    Integrating all of these functions on a Gecko based platform produces a
    browser for a different web use paradigm

    There are quite a few publications referencing this softwares release.
    The developers obviously have credibility outside your circle.
    Why would you take exception to others being informed about it ?
    Because its an open source project ?
    shannon, Oct 22, 2005
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Impossible Guest

    "shannon" <> wrote in message
    > Impossible wrote:
    >> "shannon" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>RSS Atom Flikr del.icio.us etc are all new untested stuff.
    >>>

    >> Not really. RSS has been around for while in various forms. As for
    >> the likes of Flikr and del.icio.us, I'm not sure there is anything
    >> new there at all -- or useful..

    > Maybe not to yourself, but they are obviously popular and useful to
    > their large user base.
    > Integrating all of these functions on a Gecko based platform
    > produces a browser for a different web use paradigm

    Flikr and del.icio.us are web sites. You can get to them using any old
    browser. So what's the new "paradign" exactly?

    > There are quite a few publications referencing this softwares
    > release.
    > The developers obviously have credibility outside your circle.
    > Why would you take exception to others being informed about it ?
    > Because its an open source project ?

    Read the OP and my intitial response -- and stop being so defensive.
    Impossible, Oct 22, 2005
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Impossible Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> And all this was built by starting with the Firefox code. Instead
    >> of
    >> having to reinvent basic browser functionality from scratch before
    >> they
    >> could get to their innovative bit, they were able to take advantage
    >> of the
    >> existing work that had already been done, and start immediately
    >> from
    >> there.
    >>
    >> Standing on the shoulders of giants, indeed...

    > Makes sense....

    Good for those who are trying to earn a living from OSS. But I
    wouldn't assume that every software "innovation" is good for end users
    just because it happens to exploit what others have already created.
    Flock's business model is to generate advertising income from the
    cross-traffic through sites like Flikr and del.icio.us -- I'm supposed
    to be impressed by this?
    Impossible, Oct 22, 2005
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Shane Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:01:16 -0400, Impossible wrote:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> And all this was built by starting with the Firefox code. Instead
    >>> of
    >>> having to reinvent basic browser functionality from scratch before
    >>> they
    >>> could get to their innovative bit, they were able to take advantage
    >>> of the
    >>> existing work that had already been done, and start immediately
    >>> from
    >>> there.
    >>>
    >>> Standing on the shoulders of giants, indeed...

    >> Makes sense....

    > Good for those who are trying to earn a living from OSS. But I
    > wouldn't assume that every software "innovation" is good for end users
    > just because it happens to exploit what others have already created.
    > Flock's business model is to generate advertising income from the
    > cross-traffic through sites like Flikr and del.icio.us -- I'm supposed
    > to be impressed by this?

    no.. youre supposed to call them turnipheads

    Shane, Oct 22, 2005