    adoption by government agencies. :eek:)

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 5, 2008

  2. Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

    impossible Guest

    "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/030108-ossi.html?page=1
    >
    > "" To get a sense of this trend looking forward, we spoke to two persons
    > engaged in developing Open Source solutions for the public sector: Mark
    > Taylor, President of The Open Source Consortium, whose tag line is
    > "Bringing Free and Open Source Software to the Public Sector," and John
    > Weathersby, founder and executive director of the Open Source Software
    > Institute (OSSI), a U.S.-based non-profit organization whose mission is
    > to promote adoption of Open Source software solutions within government
    > IT environments. ""
    >
    > Interesting "state of the nation" speech for the situation re OSS
    > adoption by government agencies. :eek:)

    Interesting, yes. Yet **another** delay on the Muncih vaporware project.
    Originally set to complete in 2006. Now 2009 Or is it 2010? Altogether, 660
    Linux users in place -- and "amost a third" of these actually trained to use
    that software. Wow! Takes your breath away. And, let's see... half of all
    local government bodies use "at least some Open Source". Whatever that
    means....Could be Apache, Samba, or maybe just some utility, or even just
    the boot sector of a wireless adapter (open source coffee makers, anyone?).
    Again, very impressive stuff. But where are the actual numbers that would
    tell us whether the "infiltration" of local governement IT by open source is
    more than a wet dream. Tucked safewy away, I suppose, lest anyone spoil the
    party with inconvenient facts. Importantly, no comment whatsoever on ODF,
    which is dead as dead can be. How quickly everyone forgets a lost cause.

    As for the 2003 CIO Weekly prediction that OS would become the "primary
    platform" of most corporations by now....well, no, never happened, not even
    close. But have no fear: the Open Source Consortium (OSC) can spin anything
    into a victory: "I do believe that this specific prediction was at least
    moving in the right direction. I know that open source has grown and matured
    a great deal in the past several years - even more so than even some of us
    "advocates" thought possible and much more so, to the chagrin of those who
    wished that Open Source had never been devised!" Sadly for ther OSC, you
    could plug "MAC" or "Google" into that sentence in place of "open source"
    and the result would be a more apt description of the current challenges to
    Microsoft.

    impossible, Jan 5, 2008

  3. Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

    Will Spencer Guest

    On 5 Jan 2008 17:05:20 +1300, Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:

    > http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/030108-ossi.html?page=1
    >
    > "" To get a sense of this trend looking forward, we spoke to two persons
    > engaged in developing Open Source solutions for the public sector: Mark
    > Taylor, President of The Open Source Consortium, whose tag line is
    > "Bringing Free and Open Source Software to the Public Sector," and John
    > Weathersby, founder and executive director of the Open Source Software
    > Institute (OSSI), a U.S.-based non-profit organization whose mission is
    > to promote adoption of Open Source software solutions within government
    > IT environments. ""
    >
    > Interesting "state of the nation" speech for the situation re OSS
    > adoption by government agencies. :eek:)

    Imo Linux and Open Source advocates are the Evil Dictators and Nazi's of
    the IT World - They all arrogantly flood the Internet forcing their beliefs
    onto us with their demands and dictates about software and OS's. It speaks
    volumes that the Open Source Linux system is unable to survive on it's own
    merits and requires endless negative anti-Microsoft propganda campaigns to
    keep it afloat.

    Some advice to the the Linux Nazi's - people are not interested in Linux
    propaganda and anti-microsoft campaigns. They are interested in a better OS
    and if you cannot deliver a better OS you will never win the war.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Jan 6, 2008
  4. In article <siw4agjxk0wz$>, Will Spencer did
    write:

    > Imo Linux and Open Source advocates are the Evil Dictators and Nazi's of
    > the IT World ...

    Funny, somebody said something in another posting this evening, which I
    think can be paraphrased to apply here as well: "The more you guys feel the
    need to talk about Linux and Open Source, the more we know Linux and Open
    Source are winning."

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 6, 2008
  5. Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:09:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <siw4agjxk0wz$>, Will Spencer did
    > write:
    >
    >> Imo Linux and Open Source advocates are the Evil Dictators and Nazi's of
    >> the IT World ...

    > Funny, somebody said something in another posting this evening, which I
    > think can be paraphrased to apply here as well:

    Not really.

    > "The more you guys feel the need to talk about Linux and Open Source, the more
    > we know Linux and Open Source are winning."

    That must be your equivalent of a wet dream.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Jan 6, 2008
  6. On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:09:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Funny, somebody said something in another posting this evening, which I
    > think can be paraphrased to apply here as well: "The more you guys feel
    > the need to talk about Linux and Open Source, the more we know Linux and
    > Open Source are winning."

    Dude, you're wasting your time arguing with it.

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 6, 2008
  7. Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

    Will Spencer Guest

    On 6 Jan 2008 23:57:33 +1300, Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:09:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Funny, somebody said something in another posting this evening, which I
    >> think can be paraphrased to apply here as well: "The more you guys feel
    >> the need to talk about Linux and Open Source, the more we know Linux and
    >> Open Source are winning."

    > Dude, you're wasting your time arguing with it.

    Hey I was just busting his chops. We have more in common than you realise.
    I've been writing software for a living for over a decade and from that
    experience I'm well aware that open-source software has several clear
    advantages to closed-source software, but well-funded closed-source
    proprietary software efforts can also be just as valid and sometimes
    superior solutions.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Jan 9, 2008
  8. In article <>, Smoking Causes Lung
    Cancer (SCLC) did write:

    > On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:09:42 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Funny, somebody said something in another posting this evening, which I
    >> think can be paraphrased to apply here as well: "The more you guys feel
    >> the need to talk about Linux and Open Source, the more we know Linux and
    >> Open Source are winning."

    > Dude, you're wasting your time arguing with it.

    It's OK, I've got him arguing with himself
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/5e014929e17e1e21>,
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/3583ac14de502dd9>. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2008
  9. Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

    Biggles^^ Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 05:22:05 +0000, impossible wrote:

    > "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <> wrote in
    > message news:p...
    >> http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/030108-ossi.html?page=1
    >>

    >> Interesting "state of the nation" speech for the situation re OSS
    >> adoption by government agencies. :eek:)
    >>

    > Interesting, yes. Yet **another** delay on the Muncih vaporware project.
    > Originally set to complete in 2006. Now 2009 Or is it 2010? Altogether,
    > 660 Linux users in place -- and "amost a third" of these actually
    > trained to use that software. Wow!

    <large snip>

    Its turning out to be the longest OSS vaporware / fuckup in history...
    lmao

    Biggles.............

    Biggles^^, Jan 12, 2008
  10. On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:22:25 +0100, Biggles^^ wrote:

    > Its turning out to be the longest OSS vaporware / fuckup in history...
    > lmao

    How can a project to migrate an organisation from one desktop/server
    platform to another be considered to be "vaporware" when that project is
    about half way through actual production implementation?

    The software already exists - is not vaporware. The server infrastructure
    is already implemented, and the desktop implementation is already in
    daily use for about half of that city's government employees.

    Once that project has completed production implementation then that
    organisation will no longer be paying enormous annual fees to Micro$oft.
    From then on it will be all cost savings - not to mention actual genuine
    control over the software they use.

    --
    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

    Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC), Jan 12, 2008
  11. Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:22:25 +0100, Biggles^^ wrote:
    >
    >> Its turning out to be the longest OSS vaporware / fuckup in history...
    >> lmao

    > How can a project to migrate an organisation from one desktop/server
    > platform to another be considered to be "vaporware" when that project is
    > about half way through actual production implementation?

    How? Time to refresh everyone's memory:

    http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2003-07-13-microsoft-linux-munich_x.htm

    Ah, 2003 -- the good old days, when LinuxHeads could look to the
    announcement of the Munich project as a promise of wonderful things to come.
    But then...

    http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2004/02/62236

    2004: One year later, and...whoops, sorry, no....we can't really migrate all
    those desktops from Windows to Linux as we said we could, because... well,
    there's no software for that yet. Several new "phases" of development are
    now announced, though curiously none of them actually involve any software
    roll-outs.

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39216394,00.htm

    2005: A new plan ""Some departments will start with OpenOffice on Windows,
    others will start with OpenOffice on Linux," said Hofmann. "It depends on
    their infrastructure, for example, if a department has a small number of
    simple [Office] macros and templates, but a large number of complex
    applications, it is easier to do OpenOffice on Windows first." One
    department is now targeted (250 computers out of the city's 14,000), but
    that isn't expected to be trialled until mid-2006.

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39283603,00.htm
    http://www.pcwelt.de/it-profi/englishnews/61380/

    2006: 100 computers done in one department --- only 13,900 to go. It's "full
    speed ahead" now on the project, according to Munich's mayor. But wait --
    the develoipers can't agree on a timeline. Is it...

    (1) "Between now and 2008, we plan to complete the migration and I don't see
    any reason why we shouldn't," said Wilhelm Hoegner, IT director at the City
    of Munich. Sounds great!

    or, is it...

    (2) "Schiessl said it would be impossible to migrate all users to open
    source, but that 80 percent would move across by between late-2008 and
    mid-2009."

    http://dot.kde.org/1179818755/

    2007: "Munich's KDE distribution Limux has been certified to meet the
    international usability standard ISO 9241". Which is very nice, but "usable"
    or otherwise almost no one is actually using KDE in Munich. It's become
    mpossible now to find anyone willing to spell out details as to how the
    deployment project is going. But it looks like "mid-2009" is the preferred
    date to dangle in front of inquiring reporters.

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/030108-ossi.html?page=1

    2008: (oh, and this was your post, btw). 5000 Munich desktops running "open
    source" (whatever that means) on...wait, that can't be right...on a Windows
    platform ?!? Another 660 desktops running on Linux.

    impossible, Jan 12, 2008
  12. Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

    sam Guest

    impossible wrote:
> [...]

    > source, but that 80 percent would move across by between late-2008 and
    > mid-2009."
    >
    > http://dot.kde.org/1179818755/
    >
    > 2007: "Munich's KDE distribution Limux has been certified to meet the
    > international usability standard ISO 9241". Which is very nice, but "usable"
    > or otherwise almost no one is actually using KDE in Munich. It's become
    > mpossible now to find anyone willing to spell out details as to how the
    > deployment project is going. But it looks like "mid-2009" is the preferred
    > date to dangle in front of inquiring reporters.
    >
    > http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/030108-ossi.html?page=1
    >
    > 2008: (oh, and this was your post, btw). 5000 Munich desktops running "open
    > source" (whatever that means) on...wait, that can't be right...on a Windows
    > platform ?!? Another 660 desktops running on Linux.

    Looking Good !
    Openoffice everywhere, a big win for ODF ;-)

    sam, Jan 12, 2008