    better <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/25/redhat_fq12010_numbers/>.

    Looks like the recession really is encouraging people to move away from
    proprietary software towards free/open-source solutions.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 25, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    On Jun 25, 10:36 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > As much as Novell's Linux business has been growing, Red Hat is doing even
    > better <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/25/redhat_fq12010_numbers/>.
    >
    > Looks like the recession really is encouraging people to move away from
    > proprietary software towards free/open-source solutions.

    There is little free/open source about RedHat...you pay quite heavily
    for a Redhat OS.....what is interesting is that Vmware now support
    Debian, Ubuntu and FreeBSD....there must be enough interest in these
    to justify that support.

    For myself, I think you are thinking at the wrong level....OSes are
    not that important, what is important is the application you need or
    are prepared to pay for, this is where I think and why OSS and in turn
    OSS OSes are doing well, you dont get screwed over as badly or tied
    in.....

    So with an OSS solution there is usually little upfront cost and no
    ongoing support if you dont want to pay for it and you are not locked
    in and there is often little prior investmant to not want to throw
    away....These days just about anybody commercial charges 20%+ (in
    fact its heading to 25% as the norm) for "support".....and busts you
    at every opportunity for more licences, extras and upgrades...hard
    sell of poor value (ne: "added value") seems to be the name of the
    game....reducing flexibility and customer choice hidden inside is
    becoming the thing (as a customer) to watch out for....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jun 25, 2009

  3. In message <552e47de-5e83-4bab-
    >, thingy wrote:

    > On Jun 25, 10:36 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> As much as Novell's Linux business has been growing, Red Hat is doing
    >> even better
    >> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/25/redhat_fq12010_numbers/>.
    >>
    >> Looks like the recession really is encouraging people to move away from
    >> proprietary software towards free/open-source solutions.

    > There is little free/open source about RedHat...

    It's _all_ free/open source. You can get exactly the same software package
    for free from outfits like CentOS.

    > ... you pay quite heavily for a Redhat OS.....

    You pay for their support. That's all you pay for.

    > what is interesting is that Vmware now support
    > Debian, Ubuntu and FreeBSD....there must be enough interest in these
    > to justify that support.

    So Red Hat doesn't own the market. So what? Plenty of room for all.

    > For myself, I think you are thinking at the wrong level....OSes are
    > not that important, what is important is the application you need or
    > are prepared to pay for ...

    All software is ultimately a commodity. That applies to apps as well as the
    OS, drivers, whatever. The only thing worth paying for is the support,
    because that's the only scarce good.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 26, 2009