Open Source flight simulator

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Dec 16, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Just starting to play with this but impressed so far.

    www.flightgear.org

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Dec 16, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. thingy

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    news:4583a5be$...
    > Just starting to play with this but impressed so far.
    >
    > www.flightgear.org
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing


    Good to see that will take a PC with real grunt to get the best out of it.

    E. Scrooge.
     
    E. Scrooge, Dec 16, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. thingy

    Enkidu Guest

    Enkidu, Dec 16, 2006
    #3
  4. Hi there,

    thingy wrote:
    > Just starting to play with this but impressed so far.
    >
    > www.flightgear.org


    There is a fairly active mailing list for users, with
    quite a few kiwis onboard. The scenery is not photoreal
    but adequate, however myself and a couple of other guys
    from NZ are modelling NZ local scenery to improve the
    basic look that you get by default.

    I'm no pilot, but this sim doesn't get that feeling that
    I get with something like a video game, where I figure
    out the knack of beating some levels, or strategies in
    general to beat the game - this is different, with each
    takeoff/landing feeling different due to the sim grabbing
    the real-world weather from the location you choose, and
    doing a fine job of modelling that in the sim...

    Here is a teaser screenshot, showing a VirginBlue 737
    rocketing off Rwy 02 at NZCH, with models of the terminal,
    an Air NZ 777-200ER, and a few Air NZ and Qantas domestic
    737's placed above the default scenery...its not photoreal
    but it'll get there with work...

    http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/virginblue-nzch.jpg

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u
     
    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 17, 2006
    #4
  5. Hi there,

    Enkidu wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Just starting to play with this but impressed so far.
    >>
    >> www.flightgear.org
    >>

    > Is it better than this one?
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_(computer_game)


    The old 2D scroller from the 80's? I remember that, but
    its totally different from Flightgear. You cannot bomb
    anything (yet) in Flightgear, but the devs are playing
    with some stuff along those lines for future releases.

    You can fly a Sopwith Camel in Flightgear, as can be seen
    in this screenshot...

    http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/sopwith-goldcoast.jpg

    The building in the background is Q1 apartment tower,
    on the Gold Coast...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u
     
    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 17, 2006
    #5
  6. thingy

    jasen Guest

    jasen, Dec 17, 2006
    #6
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just starting to play with this but impressed so far.
    >>>
    >>> www.flightgear.org
    >>>

    >> Is it better than this one?
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_(computer_game)

    >
    > The old 2D scroller from the 80's? I remember that, but
    > its totally different from Flightgear. You cannot bomb
    > anything (yet) in Flightgear, but the devs are playing
    > with some stuff along those lines for future releases.
    >
    > You can fly a Sopwith Camel in Flightgear, as can be seen
    > in this screenshot...
    >
    > http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/sopwith-goldcoast.jpg
    >
    > The building in the background is Q1 apartment tower,
    > on the Gold Coast...
    >


    Yeah I was trying to fly a bf109 and noticed some sort of modern jet
    liner in the background.

    I have not tired the Sopwith or the Fokker tri-plane yet.....p51d was
    OK....I had a look inside the 737 and gave up, I did not know where to
    start! rather complex I noticed there is a Hurricane and a Spitfire....

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Dec 18, 2006
    #7
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > news:4583a5be$...
    >> Just starting to play with this but impressed so far.
    >>
    >> www.flightgear.org
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    >
    > Good to see that will take a PC with real grunt to get the best out of it.
    >
    > E. Scrooge.
    >
    >


    A p3-600? it certainly runs well on a p3-1000 in Linux....

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Dec 18, 2006
    #8
  9. Hi there,

    thingy wrote:
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >> news:4583a5be$...
    >>
    >>> Just starting to play with this but impressed so far.
    >>>
    >>> www.flightgear.org
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>>
    >>> Thing

    >>
    >>
    >> Good to see that will take a PC with real grunt to get the best out of
    >> it.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge.
    >>

    >
    > A p3-600? it certainly runs well on a p3-1000 in Linux....


    CPU is a part of it, but a reasonable 3D accelerator is the
    most important hardware you can have for Flightgear. I've
    run it on a GeForce FX5200, FX5700TD, and now a 6800GS. The
    5200 was OK, the 5700 was fairly nice...but 6800GS now runs it
    very very nicely and smoothly on my 22"...

    It needs a lot less GPU, than MS Vista does to use Aero glass.
    What is that you say?, an OS needs more GPU than a flightsim?

    :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u
     
    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 18, 2006
    #9
  10. Hi there,

    thingy wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >>> thingy wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Just starting to play with this but impressed so far.
    >>>>
    >>>> www.flightgear.org
    >>>>
    >>> Is it better than this one?
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_(computer_game)

    >>
    >>
    >> The old 2D scroller from the 80's? I remember that, but
    >> its totally different from Flightgear. You cannot bomb
    >> anything (yet) in Flightgear, but the devs are playing
    >> with some stuff along those lines for future releases.
    >>
    >> You can fly a Sopwith Camel in Flightgear, as can be seen
    >> in this screenshot...
    >>
    >> http://users.tpg.com.au/blobster/sopwith-goldcoast.jpg
    >>
    >> The building in the background is Q1 apartment tower,
    >> on the Gold Coast...
    >>

    >
    > Yeah I was trying to fly a bf109 and noticed some sort of modern jet
    > liner in the background.


    You must be at KSFO (San Fran international) which is the base
    scenery package. You can download more from the flightgear site
    but I use an Oz based mirror that serves me at 1.5MB/sec. I've
    converted the web frontend to the scenery download folder, so
    that it grabs from the planetmirror Oz site instead of the ftp
    site hosted at flightgear.org. Ask and I can email you a copy
    of that frontend that you can install on your local machine.
    Its a lot faster than the flightgear server if you've got
    broadband, and some of those individual scenery packages (that
    cover a 10 by 10 degree section of the globe) are upwards of
    100+ MB...

    > I have not tired the Sopwith or the Fokker tri-plane yet.....p51d was
    > OK....I had a look inside the 737 and gave up, I did not know where to
    > start! rather complex I noticed there is a Hurricane and a Spitfire....


    You think the 737 looks complex? Its based on the 737-300,
    which is kinda old now...try the 777-200 - thats complex!

    The base controls do not vary from ship to ship...the mouse
    is your yoke unless you've got a compatible flightsim yoke,
    and basic keys like throttle, flaps, spoilers, brakes, and
    landing gear (where its retractable) are always the same.
    Some craft require special instructions to start or fly.
    Check the help menu which may have specific aircraft help
    for the one you choose

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u
     
    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 18, 2006
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?VG9ycmV5IExhdWVy?=

    Flight Simulator 2004 on x64

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9ycmV5IExhdWVy?=, Jun 17, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,170
    Torrey Lauer
    Jun 17, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?S2VuUg==?=

    Can't Install MS Combat Flight Simulator 3 with Win XP x64

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VuUg==?=, Jan 27, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    553
  3. =?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFuIFdhaW5lcg==?=

    Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX

    =?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFuIFdhaW5lcg==?=, Jan 31, 2007, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    485
    =?Utf-8?B?QWRyaWFuIFdhaW5lcg==?=
    Feb 3, 2007
  4. Malcolm
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    809
    Malcolm
    Apr 8, 2008
  5. Vinny_P

    Open Source Processor Simulator

    Vinny_P, Mar 30, 2010, in forum: Hardware
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,935
    jettlee1
    Apr 22, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page