Open source documentary. Could be interesting.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Sep 27, 2005.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Seen on legaltorrents.com:

    "'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
    source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
    and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation. It includes interviews
    with major open-source figures such as Richard Stallman, Lawrence
    Lessig, Jon ‘maddog’ Hall, and Bruce Perens, as well as case studies and
    discussions of both Shuttleworth's (Ubuntu Linux) and other South
    African and global projects that have successfully used open-source
    elements."

    http://www.legaltorrents.com/bit/go-open-vol-1.torrent
    Go_Open - Eps. 1 to 6 [MP4]

    http://www.legaltorrents.com/bit/go-open-vol-2.torrent
    Go_Open - Eps. 7 to 13 [MP4]

    FWIW

    cheers

    -=rjh=-, Sep 27, 2005

  2. In article <>, -=rjh=- <>
    wrote:

    >Seen on legaltorrents.com:
    >
    >"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
    >source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
    >and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation. It includes interviews
    >with major open-source figures such as Richard Stallman, Lawrence
    >Lessig, Jon Œmaddog¹ Hall, and Bruce Perens, as well as case studies and
    >discussions of both Shuttleworth's (Ubuntu Linux) and other South
    >African and global projects that have successfully used open-source
    >elements."
    >
    >http://www.legaltorrents.com/bit/go-open-vol-1.torrent
    >Go_Open - Eps. 1 to 6 [MP4]
    >
    >http://www.legaltorrents.com/bit/go-open-vol-2.torrent
    >Go_Open - Eps. 7 to 13 [MP4]

    Looks interesting. I've started downloading already. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 28, 2005

  3. In article <>, -=rjh=- <>
    wrote:

    >Seen on legaltorrents.com:
    >
    >"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
    >source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
    >and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation.

    Finished downloading volume 1 (man, that was quick!), still seeding.
    Volume 2 is a lot slower--only about 40% done so far. Just finished
    watching the first episode. Impressions:

    Breezy, entertaining presenter singing (somewhat uncritically) the
    wonders of Open Source. Not sure how many people will get that message,
    but if you just want a computer-oriented program that's fun to watch,
    this certainly fills the bill. The Richard Stallman interview was
    interesting and informative, even while he was directly contradicting
    the promotion of the term "Open Source" that filled the rest of the
    program.

    Personally I would like to see more debate presented on the pros and
    cons. But that requires going into the concept in a bit more depth. Oh
    well, we'll see what the remaining episodes are like...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 28, 2005
  4. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, -=rjh=- <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Seen on legaltorrents.com:
    >>
    >>"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
    >>source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
    >>and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation.

    > Finished downloading volume 1 (man, that was quick!), still seeding.
    > Volume 2 is a lot slower--only about 40% done so far. Just finished
    > watching the first episode. Impressions:
    >
    > Breezy, entertaining presenter singing (somewhat uncritically) the
    > wonders of Open Source. Not sure how many people will get that message,
    > but if you just want a computer-oriented program that's fun to watch,
    > this certainly fills the bill. The Richard Stallman interview was
    > interesting and informative, even while he was directly contradicting
    > the promotion of the term "Open Source" that filled the rest of the
    > program.
    >
    > Personally I would like to see more debate presented on the pros and
    > cons. But that requires going into the concept in a bit more depth. Oh
    > well, we'll see what the remaining episodes are like...

    I'm finding the programs quite interesting just from a cultural point of
    view; for example the expression "having less than a person from
    Zimbabwe" being used in the context of not winning anything in their
    competition. The presenter is OTT, and everything is only touched on
    lightly, but it is a start; and for those who don't know much about OS
    it is probably worth watching.

    Not quite up to Click Online standards, but watchable.

    BTW I've been using Video Lan Client to watch, it really is excellent.

    -=rjh=-, Sep 28, 2005
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>Seen on legaltorrents.com:
    >>
    >>"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
    >>source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
    >>and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation.

    > Finished downloading volume 1 (man, that was quick!), still seeding.
    > Volume 2 is a lot slower--only about 40% done so far. Just finished
    > watching the first episode. Impressions:

    I should be helping this now...

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 28, 2005
  6. In article <>, -=rjh=- <>
    wrote:

    >I'm finding the programs quite interesting just from a cultural point of
    >view; for example the expression "having less than a person from
    >Zimbabwe" being used in the context of not winning anything in their
    >competition.

    Yes, I wondered if that sort of thing incurs lots of rude messages/phone
    calls. :)

    >The presenter is OTT, and everything is only touched on
    >lightly, but it is a start; and for those who don't know much about OS
    >it is probably worth watching.

    One omission in the first episode was, the presenter said "GPL" without
    explaining what it meant.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 29, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Finished downloading volume 1 (man, that was quick!), still seeding.
    >> Volume 2 is a lot slower--only about 40% done so far. Just finished
    >> watching the first episode. Impressions:

    >I should be helping this now...

    I have both volumes now, and I seem to be the only one seeding at the
    moment. I'll keep doing it until I hit a share ratio of 2, or I get no
    connections in a day or two, whichever happens first...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 29, 2005
  8. In article <>, -=rjh=- <>
    wrote:

    >"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
    >source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
    >and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation.

    Episode 3 mentions the Freedom Toaster <http://www.freedomtoaster.org/>.
    This is a PC with touch screen and 3 CD writers. The hard drive holds a
    bunch of CD images of Linux distros and other free software. You bring
    along your own CD blanks, choose from the available images to burn, and
    walk away a few minutes later with your own copies.

    Wonder if that sort of thing would be useful here...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 30, 2005
  9. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, -=rjh=- <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"'Go_Open' is a 13-episode mainstream-aimed TV series about using open
    >>source software, funded by sources including South African entrepreneur
    >>and astronaut Mark Shuttleworth's foundation.

    > Episode 3 mentions the Freedom Toaster <http://www.freedomtoaster.org/>.
    > This is a PC with touch screen and 3 CD writers. The hard drive holds a
    > bunch of CD images of Linux distros and other free software. You bring
    > along your own CD blanks, choose from the available images to burn, and
    > walk away a few minutes later with your own copies.
    >
    > Wonder if that sort of thing would be useful here...

    That kind of thing seems to be the norm in Bangkok when you buy software :)

    -=rjh=-, Sep 30, 2005