    at school.
    Not on our computers.
    Any suggestions?

    Bret, Jul 8, 2005

  2. Bret

    PAM. Guest

    "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source

    software
    > at school.
    > Not on our computers.
    > Any suggestions?

    Recycle notebooks for students (not for schools). Give the students a
    notebook each with open source. Don't use the schools computers?

    PAM.

    PAM., Jul 8, 2005

  3. Bret wrote:
    > Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source software
    > at school.
    > Not on our computers.
    > Any suggestions?

    nope, and good on the school for actually having a policy on kids
    bringing in software...

    I doubt that the fact it was open source has any bearing on it., so
    bordering on a troll, if the fact it was open source is the reason on
    the ban, then the school "admin" is a dumbarse, blanket bans are never a
    good idea.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Bret

    Hank Guest

    Get him to use it at home. Or maybe said child should be allowed to use
    whatever he 'wishes' and the school should scramble around spending
    lots of time and resources making said child happy.

    I think the child should use whatever resources are available and if
    thats not enough then in his spare time after school hours use open
    source software. Now that makes sense dosent it?

    Hank, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Bret

    Daniel Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source software
    > at school.
    > Not on our computers.
    > Any suggestions?

    Two questions:
    1. What was the reason for denying the request?
    2. What OSS program are we talking about?

    Daniel, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Bret

    thing Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source software
    > at school.
    > Not on our computers.
    > Any suggestions?

    Most schools are MS land while some are Mac land....it just makes life
    too hard for the sys admin to add more apps and support them.

    Discuss it with the Principal?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Hi there,

    Bret wrote:
    > Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source software
    > at school.
    > Not on our computers.
    > Any suggestions?

    The school may have a "no unauthorized software" policy. Thats
    fine, although it wouldn't hurt them to evaluate OSS...thats
    their call...

    Heres an alternate take...it seems you have flushed out a
    Wintroll from nz.comp! :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Bret

    Daniel Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Heres an alternate take...it seems you have flushed out a
    > Wintroll from nz.comp! :)

    Perhaps.

    Considering some of the responses are based on not even knowing what the
    OSS program in question is.

    Daniel, Jul 8, 2005
  9. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:14:44 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source software
    >> at school.
    >> Not on our computers.
    >> Any suggestions?

    >nope, and good on the school for actually having a policy on kids
    >bringing in software...

    I don't think it's a policy more a reflex.

    >I doubt that the fact it was open source has any bearing on it., so
    >bordering on a troll,

    Not with you Dave.

    > if the fact it was open source is the reason on
    >the ban, then the school "admin" is a dumbarse, blanket bans are never a
    >good idea.

    I think the reason was it was unknown, ie not MS, don't want to know.

    Bret, Jul 8, 2005
  10. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:14:05 +1200, "PAM." <>
    wrote:

    >"Bret" <> wrote in message
    >> Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source

    >software
    >> at school.
    >> Not on our computers.
    >> Any suggestions?

    >Recycle notebooks for students (not for schools). Give the students a
    >notebook each with open source. Don't use the schools computers?
    >
    >PAM.

    Sounds like a big job.

    Bret, Jul 8, 2005
  11. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On 7 Jul 2005 19:15:43 -0700, "Hank" <> wrote:

    >Get him to use it at home. Or maybe said child should be allowed to use
    >whatever he 'wishes' and the school should scramble around spending
    >lots of time and resources making said child happy.

    The school seem to think if children us MS software they will be able
    to adapt later and use whatever they want, there may be some validity
    to this view.

    >I think the child should use whatever resources are available and if
    >thats not enough then in his spare time after school hours use open
    >source software. Now that makes sense dosent it?

    It is what will happen, whether or not it makes sense is another
    matter.

    Bret, Jul 8, 2005
  12. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:46:15 +1200, Daniel <>
    wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source software
    >> at school.
    >> Not on our computers.
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    >Two questions:
    >1. What was the reason for denying the request?

    No reason given.

    >2. What OSS program are we talking about?

    All of them.

    Bret, Jul 8, 2005
  13. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:47:24 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source software
    >> at school.
    >> Not on our computers.
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    >Most schools are MS land while some are Mac land....it just makes life
    >too hard for the sys admin to add more apps and support them.

    I was planning on using a live CD and usb key, so it shouldn't be a
    problem.

    >Discuss it with the Principal?

    He is the Admin LOL.

    Bret, Jul 8, 2005
  14. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:56:38 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Bret wrote:
    >> Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source software
    >> at school.
    >> Not on our computers.
    >> Any suggestions?

    >The school may have a "no unauthorized software" policy. Thats
    >fine, although it wouldn't hurt them to evaluate OSS...thats
    >their call...

    Yeah sure it's their call ultimately, I just wonder why they seem so
    anti something they have zero knowledge about, you would have thought
    I wanted to put an axe through there machines.

    >Heres an alternate take...it seems you have flushed out a
    >Wintroll from nz.comp! :)

    Hmmmn, could be :)

    Bret, Jul 8, 2005
  15. Bret

    nog Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > Yeah sure it's their call ultimately, I just wonder why they seem so
    > anti something they have zero knowledge about

    most people are scared of things that they know nothing about, isn't it
    a human trait(sp?)?

    nog, Jul 8, 2005
  16. In article <>,
    says...

    > Yeah sure it's their call ultimately, I just wonder why they seem so
    > anti something they have zero knowledge about, you would have thought
    > I wanted to put an axe through there machines.

    Heck yes. If I go by what our local area school has for a network, then
    it's a midden held together with baling twine and chewing gum. If
    anything goes down in that setup, the excrement hits the air
    reticulation device Big Time.

    Would I, if I were sysadmin of that, trying to keep it running (and
    already having lots of trouble with stupid teachers messing things up
    the sceond they have a chance) allow somebody to introduce unknown
    software on that system? I think not.

    Give him an isolated 486 in a corner somewhere to play with, sure, but
    not let him on the system without isolating the machine he's busy with.

    I don't do our school, but I know the lady who did for a couple of
    years: by the end of that she was certified AND certifyable, just about
    :) She walked in the end.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 8, 2005
  17. Bret

    BrianM Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:22:40 +1200, Bret wrote:

    > On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:47:24 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >
    >>Bret wrote:
    >>> Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source
    >>> software at school.
    >>> Not on our computers.
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >>Most schools are MS land while some are Mac land....it just makes life
    >>too hard for the sys admin to add more apps and support them.

    > I was planning on using a live CD and usb key, so it shouldn't be a
    > problem.
    >
    >>Discuss it with the Principal?
    >>

    > He is the Admin LOL.

    Mail him the latest Knoppix CD

    cheers
    BrianM

    BrianM, Jul 8, 2005
  18. Bret

    Max Burke Guest

    > Bret scribbled:
    > I think the reason was it was unknown, ie not MS, don't want to know.

    Or that the school had no way of supporting it......

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jul 8, 2005
  19. Bret

    thing Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:47:24 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >

    >>Bret wrote:
    >>
    >>>Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source software
    >>>at school.
    >>>Not on our computers.
    >>>Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >>Most schools are MS land while some are Mac land....it just makes life
    >>too hard for the sys admin to add more apps and support them.

    > I was planning on using a live CD and usb key, so it shouldn't be a
    > problem.
    >

    >>Discuss it with the Principal?
    >>

    > He is the Admin LOL.

    That explains a lot....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 8, 2005
  20. Bret

    Philip Guest

    thing wrote:
    > Bret wrote:
    >
    >> Parent told "tough" after request to allow child to use open source
    >> software at school.
    >> Not on our computers.
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    > Most schools are MS land while some are Mac land....it just makes life
    > too hard for the sys admin to add more apps and support them.
    >
    > Discuss it with the Principal?

    I'm just starting a project next term to set up a radio station for a
    Year 10 group in a Northland school. We'll be editing the programmes
    using Audacity, an Open Source program that runs on Linux and Windows.
    I'm able to offer support for starters, and it's intuitive and stable
    enough that the kids will pick it up inside a week. The school,
    networked in XP, has no problem with it.

    Is someone confusing Open Source with Linux? Many who have grown up in
    the MS world are bothered by Linux, which they perceive as extremely
    complicated and lacking easily available support. Both are to some
    extent true. An admnin with a twenty, or fifty, or a hundred computer
    network to keep running and uninfected is likely to be very wary of
    anything he doesn't know well enough to defend it against Years 11 and
    12 during break time. Particularly when he's doing this and being
    principal as well-

    And by now his back is probably well up because he's been asked twice
    and refused.

    What does the kid want to do - is it something that can only be done in
    Open Source?

    Philip

    Philip, Jul 8, 2005