    Does anyone know of one?

    At the moment I'm only looking for something that runs on Windows.

    TIA.
    Daniel, Jun 23, 2004

  2. Daniel

    Divine Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:47:59 +1200, Daniel wrote:

    > Does anyone know of one?
    >
    > At the moment I'm only looking for something that runs on Windows.

    There is one...

    It's called "Scribus."

    I would not, however, recomend it. It's still in the very early stages of
    development.

    I DO recomend Pagemaker. You can do EVERYTHING in it from simple handbills
    thru to full scale wacking great big tomes.

    Divine

    --
    Bruce Schneier: "Honestly, security experts don't pick on Microsoft because
    we have some fundamental dislike for the company. Indeed, Microsoft's poor
    Divine, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Daniel

    steve Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > Does anyone know of one?
    >
    > At the moment I'm only looking for something that runs on Windows.
    >
    > TIA.

    Try Scribus. It is version 1.17 right now....and you can do good work with
    it.

    It is developing rapidly and the mailing list is quite active with loads of
    helpful people. Make sure you subscribe if you have any questions.
    steve, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Thanks Divine. Hopefully, someone might do a native Windows port in the future
    - not really keen on suggesting a cygwin install. The request isn't for me, it's
    for a non-technical windows user.

    For the moment it appears to be a choice of either Microsoft, Adobe, or Corel.
    I'd definitely lean towards Adobe, since you don't need a license just to view
    (let alone print) a file exported in PDF format.

    Cheers.

    Daniel, Jun 24, 2004
  5. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Not exactly what I heard. We use LaTeX where I work. In fact, the guy who sits right next to me
    wrote his entire chemistry thesis in LaTeX. He loves LaTeX, hates MSP, but he told me he
    certainly wouldn't use LaTeX for DTP.

    From what I've seen it's certainly a good alternative for doing specific types of documents,
    especially from the perspective of revision control - try diffing a Word document. One of the
    things I really like about LaTeX is that it's just plain text, so you know what to expect. No
    nasty "out-of-the-blue" formatting surprises as with MSP.

    However, LaTeX as decent a DTP alternative? Hmmmm.

    Have you got any example sites which have done DTP with LaTeX?

    Daniel, Jun 24, 2004
  6. Daniel <> mused:

    > However, LaTeX as decent a DTP alternative? Hmmmm.
    >
    > Have you got any example sites which have done DTP with LaTeX?

    http://www.iam.ubc.ca/~newbury/tex/title.html

    Almost every document coming out of the UBC Math Department
    or the IAM has been LaTeX'd. It is very nearly essential that
    Grad students know how to use this document processing package.

    then there's OzteX, the Macintosh gui version of TeX,
    & somebody has cobbled up a windoze equivalent: MiKTeX

    http://www.miktex.org/
    J.Random Luser, Jun 25, 2004
  7. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    J.Random Luser wrote:
    > Daniel <> mused:
    >
    >>However, LaTeX as decent a DTP alternative? Hmmmm.
    >>
    >>Have you got any example sites which have done DTP with LaTeX?
    >>

    > http://www.iam.ubc.ca/~newbury/tex/title.html
    >
    > Almost every document coming out of the UBC Math Department
    > or the IAM has been LaTeX'd. It is very nearly essential that
    > Grad students know how to use this document processing package.

    Good for them.

    > then there's OzteX, the Macintosh gui version of TeX,
    > & somebody has cobbled up a windoze equivalent: MiKTeX
    >
    > http://www.miktex.org/

    Why would you want a gui for LaTeX?
    Daniel, Jun 25, 2004
  8. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    >> then there's OzteX, the Macintosh gui version of TeX, & somebody has
    >> cobbled up a windoze equivalent: MiKTeX
    >>
    >> http://www.miktex.org/

    > Why would you want a gui for LaTeX?

    Apologies. TeX is not LaTeX - my mistake.
    Daniel, Jun 25, 2004
  9. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    theseus wrote:
    > "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Why would you want a gui for LaTeX?
    >>

    > So you can use a mouse and a bitmap display ?

    So, I assume you use one of those guis for LaTeX then?
    Daniel, Jun 25, 2004
  10. Daniel

    theseus Guest

    theseus, Jun 25, 2004
  11. Daniel

    theseus Guest

    "theseus" <> wrote in message

    > "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Why would you want a gui for LaTeX?
    > >

    > So you can use a mouse and a bitmap display ?

    And menus, they a cool feature of guis
    theseus, Jun 25, 2004
  12. Daniel

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:34:38 -0700, Julian Visch wrote:

    > LaTeX free and runs rings around MSP and AP.

    Isn't the purpose of LaTeX more comparable to Framemaker rather than
    Pagemaker?

    ie more to do with screeds of text rather than flashy graphics effects
    with some text.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 25, 2004
  13. Daniel

    theseus Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > theseus wrote:
    > > "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Why would you want a gui for LaTeX?
    > >>

    > > So you can use a mouse and a bitmap display ?
    > >

    > So, I assume you use one of those guis for LaTeX then?

    I have used Lyx, but its the general reason why people use guis
    theseus, Jun 25, 2004
  14. Daniel

    Julian Visch Guest

    Julian Visch, Jun 25, 2004
  15. Daniel

    Divine Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:50:36 +1200, Daniel wrote:

    > For the moment it appears to be a choice of either Microsoft, Adobe, or
    > Corel. I'd definitely lean towards Adobe, since you don't need a license
    > just to view (let alone print) a file exported in PDF format.

    Err...

    I think I was recomending ADOBE Pagemaker.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."
    Divine, Jun 25, 2004
  16. Daniel

    Bob McLellan Guest

    Have a look at Maul. Its not open source but worth a look.

    Bob McLellan, Jun 25, 2004
  17. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Divine wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:50:36 +1200, Daniel wrote:
    >

    >>For the moment it appears to be a choice of either Microsoft, Adobe, or
    >>Corel. I'd definitely lean towards Adobe, since you don't need a license
    >>just to view (let alone print) a file exported in PDF format.

    > Err...
    >
    > I think I was recomending ADOBE Pagemaker.

    Yes you were. Your point?
    Daniel, Jun 25, 2004
  18. Daniel

    theseus Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    >>>So, I assume you use one of those guis for LaTeX then?
    >>>

    >> I have used Lyx, but its the general reason why people use guis
    >>

    > From personal experience the guys I know who use LaTeX use vi as the
    > "front-end".
    > The results are very good. In fact, they prefer not to use a gui. Why?
    > Probably for the same reason I don't like auto-generating coding tools -
    > as soon as you start doing something outside of the supported framework
    > you end up fighting with the tool. I guess in some ways the same can be
    > said of web page tools.
    >
    > Apologies, if I seemed a little naive. But the question "Why... gui for
    > LaTeX?" comes up every now and then, and really, based on what I've seen
    > people achieve with just a text editor, I personally don't see any
    > significant benefit in having a gui.
    >
    > I was sooo tempted to put in a little note asking people to please exclude
    > LaTeX from this thread, but, then I thought "nah, then someone's bound to
    > post some kind of LaTex advocacy if they see that note" - you just can't
    > win :)

    But you ASKED
    "why would you want a gui for LaTex"
    I gave you an answer, now you seem to be off on some tangent about what some
    of your mates do, as if I care.
    If you didn't want to know, why are you wasting time with stupid questions.
    People who use a gui with LaTex use it for the same reason as people use
    GUIs with browsers etc, so they can use a mouse and pull down menus, is
    that not clear enough, is there some other way that I could rephrase it in
    a more penetrating manner ?
    theseus, Jun 25, 2004
  19. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    theseus wrote:

    >>>So you can use a mouse and a bitmap display ?
    >>>

    >>So, I assume you use one of those guis for LaTeX then?
    >>

    > I have used Lyx, but its the general reason why people use guis

    From personal experience the guys I know who use LaTeX use vi as the "front-end".

    Daniel, Jun 25, 2004
  20. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    theseus wrote:

    > But you ASKED
    > "why would you want a gui for LaTex"
    > I gave you an answer, now you seem to be off on some tangent about what some
    > of your mates do, as if I care.
    > If you didn't want to know, why are you wasting time with stupid questions.
    > People who use a gui with LaTex use it for the same reason as people use
    > GUIs with browsers etc, so they can use a mouse and pull down menus, is
    > that not clear enough, is there some other way that I could rephrase it in
    > a more penetrating manner ?

    And I said sorry...
    Daniel, Jun 25, 2004