Open Source Accounting Software - Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan Alan, Sep 27, 2008.

  1. Alan Alan

    Alan Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a colleague who wants to set up his business with purely open source
    software.

    I am encouraging him to do this (I wish I could too but I am tied to MS
    Office and MYOB for now - if he is successful I may be following though),
    but we have run into a total wall at this point.

    We cannot find any OSS accounting software that will do the necessaries for
    an NZ business (with GST etc being a local specific requirement) and is
    'stable' rather than in beta (given this is a core function, I don't think
    it would be sensible to go with something in beta).

    Clearly I must be missing something here, since every business in the
    country needs an accounting system, so there must be plenty of choices you'd
    think?

    Having searched using search engines, I suddenly realised there must be
    plenty of people in here using OSS accounting software in NZ, so your
    recommendations please!

    A list of options would be okay, but what I am really looking for your
    personal comments on what you are actually using (or have tried and
    rejected) with reasons for why it is good or bad.

    The business is mainly services, but with some inventory and fixed assets so
    we figure we need:

    GL
    CB
    AP
    AR
    FA
    Inventory

    Payroll would be great too, but not a major issue and would not stop us
    using something if payroll was absent.

    Thanks in advance,

    Alan.
    Alan Alan, Sep 27, 2008

  2. Alan Alan

    EMB Guest

    Compiere. http://www.compiere.com/accounting.php
    EMB, Sep 27, 2008

  3. Alan Alan

    Peter Guest

    Alan Alan wrote:
    > I have a colleague who wants to set up his business with purely open
    > source software.
    > I am encouraging him to do this (I wish I could too but I am tied to MS
    > Office and MYOB for now - if he is successful I may be following though),
    > but we have run into a total wall at this point.
    > We cannot find any OSS accounting software that will do the necessaries
    > for an NZ business (with GST etc being a local specific requirement)

    MYOB runs on Wine. I have it running on Kubuntu 8.04, going fine so far.

    hth

    Peter
    Peter, Sep 27, 2008
  4. Alan Alan

    Peter Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 07:24:54 +1300, Peter wrote:
    >> MYOB runs on Wine. I have it running on Kubuntu 8.04, going fine so
    >> far.

    > However, it is not Free Open Source software.

    That is true, however, it might be a satisfactory interim step.
    A couple of years back, I tried to find an accounting package suitable for
    NZ small business, but couldn't find one. At that time, MYOB didn't run on
    Wine. (The firm I was helping then elected to stay with Windows 98.)

    Peter
    Peter, Sep 28, 2008
  5. Alan Alan

    Peter Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:04:52 +1300, Peter wrote:
    >>> However, it is not Free Open Source software.

    >> That is true, however, it might be a satisfactory interim step.

    > I would expect that any business looking to use an accounting system will
    > not lightly decide to migrate from one system to another unless there
    > were substantial benefits to be gained from doing so.

    Quite right, however the OP mentioned being tied to MS and MYOB.
    Peter, Sep 28, 2008
  6. Alan Alan

    PeeCee Guest

    "Alan Alan" <> wrote in message news:gbl80s$72b$...

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a colleague who wants to set up his business with purely open
    > source software.
    >
    > I am encouraging him to do this (I wish I could too but I am tied to MS
    > Office and MYOB for now - if he is successful I may be following though),
    > but we have run into a total wall at this point.
    >
    > We cannot find any OSS accounting software that will do the necessaries
    > for an NZ business (with GST etc being a local specific requirement) and
    > is 'stable' rather than in beta (given this is a core function, I don't
    > think it would be sensible to go with something in beta).
    >
    > Clearly I must be missing something here, since every business in the
    > country needs an accounting system, so there must be plenty of choices
    > you'd think?
    >
    > Having searched using search engines, I suddenly realised there must be
    > plenty of people in here using OSS accounting software in NZ, so your
    > recommendations please!
    >
    > A list of options would be okay, but what I am really looking for your
    > personal comments on what you are actually using (or have tried and
    > rejected) with reasons for why it is good or bad.
    >
    > The business is mainly services, but with some inventory and fixed assets
    > so we figure we need:
    >
    > GL
    > CB
    > AP
    > AR
    > FA
    > Inventory
    >
    > Payroll would be great too, but not a major issue and would not stop us
    > using something if payroll was absent.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Alan.

    You could try Turbo Cash
    http://www.turbocash.net/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 (Free but
    I'm not sure it's open source)
    or
    GNU Cash http://www.gnucash.org/ (free 'and' open source.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Sep 28, 2008
  7. In article <>, Peter <> wrote:
    >Alan Alan wrote:
    >> I have a colleague who wants to set up his business with purely open
    >> source software.
    >> I am encouraging him to do this (I wish I could too but I am tied to MS
    >> Office and MYOB for now - if he is successful I may be following though),
    >> but we have run into a total wall at this point.
    >> We cannot find any OSS accounting software that will do the necessaries
    >> for an NZ business (with GST etc being a local specific requirement)

    >MYOB runs on Wine. I have it running on Kubuntu 8.04, going fine so far.

    I've just been reading about gnucash (comapred to money and quicken) so
    perhaps that might be worth a look ?
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 29, 2008
  8. Alan Alan

    Tony Guest

    http://www.sql-ledger.org/
    Tony, Sep 29, 2008
  9. Alan Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Carnations" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:18:36 +1300, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Carnations wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I would expect that any business looking to use an accounting
    >>> system
    >>> will not lightly decide to migrate from one system to another
    >>> unless
    >>> there were substantial benefits to be gained from doing so.
    >>>

    >> Quite right, however the OP mentioned being tied to MS and MYOB.

    > And, IIRC, wanting to move away from those to something that is Free
    > and
    > Open Source.
    >

    > --
    > Dilger: "Microsoft is first and foremost a marketing
    > company that flogs third rate technology products."

    Hi Guys,

    You are both right!

    My business is the one currently 'tied' to MS Office and MYOB.

    My colleague is the one starting out and he is wanting to go OSS, so
    he has no legacy connection to MYOB or any other accounting system
    (proprietary or not).

    My question though, is what OSS accounting system are you using? How
    does it work for you (good and bad things), and would you recommend it
    to someone else?

    Thanks,

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Sep 29, 2008
  10. Alan Alan

    Alan Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Alan Alan wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I have a colleague who wants to set up his business with purely
    >> open source software.
    >>
    >> I am encouraging him to do this (I wish I could too but I am tied
    >> to MS Office and MYOB for now - if he is successful I may be
    >> following though), but we have run into a total wall at this point.
    >>
    >> We cannot find any OSS accounting software that will do the
    >> necessaries for an NZ business (with GST etc being a local specific
    >> requirement) and is 'stable' rather than in beta (given this is a
    >> core function, I don't think it would be sensible to go with
    >> something in beta).

    > Compiere. http://www.compiere.com/accounting.php

    Hi EMB,

    I had a look at that, and it is interesting, but seems to be aimed at
    the mid-market?

    Plus it also seems to require Oracle, so not really truly OSS (but
    potentially free as-in-beer).

    However, how have you found Compiere for you? What is good and bad
    about it? Does it work okay for the specifics of running a business
    in NZ?

    Adempiere (appears to be) a fork from Compiere and is more fully OSS,
    so I will look into that too, but also seems overkill for what a
    startup business will need for the first few years at least. My
    concern is that they will end up spending too much time running the
    accounting system, and not enough running the business!

    Thanks,

    Alan, Sep 29, 2008
  11. Alan Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <>
    wrote in message news:gbp6rm$dh$...
    > In article <>, Peter
    > <> wrote:
    >>Alan Alan wrote:
    >>> I have a colleague who wants to set up his business with purely
    >>> open
    >>> source software.
    >>> I am encouraging him to do this (I wish I could too but I am tied
    >>> to MS
    >>> Office and MYOB for now - if he is successful I may be following
    >>> though),
    >>> but we have run into a total wall at this point.
    >>> We cannot find any OSS accounting software that will do the
    >>> necessaries
    >>> for an NZ business (with GST etc being a local specific
    >>> requirement)

    >>MYOB runs on Wine. I have it running on Kubuntu 8.04, going fine so
    >>far.

    > I've just been reading about gnucash (comapred to money and quicken)
    > so
    > perhaps that might be worth a look ?

    Hi Bruce,

    Correct me if I am wrong (it won't be a new experience for me!) but
    GNUCash is more of a personal finance application (a la MS Money or
    Quicken) rather than a business accounting application (a la MYOB or
    Quickbooks)?

    If I am wrong, I'll definately have a look at it.

    Are you running a business using GNUCash? How does it work for you
    good / bad etc?

    Thanks,

    Alan, Sep 29, 2008
  12. Alan Alan

    Alan Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Alan Alan wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I have a colleague who wants to set up his business with purely
    >> open source software.
    >>
    >> I am encouraging him to do this (I wish I could too but I am tied
    >> to MS Office and MYOB for now - if he is successful I may be
    >> following though), but we have run into a total wall at this point.
    >>
    >> We cannot find any OSS accounting software that will do the
    >> necessaries for an NZ business (with GST etc being a local specific
    >> requirement) and is 'stable' rather than in beta (given this is a
    >> core function, I don't think it would be sensible to go with
    >> something in beta).
    >>
    >> Clearly I must be missing something here, since every business in
    >> the country needs an accounting system, so there must be plenty of
    >> choices you'd think?
    >>
    >> Having searched using search engines, I suddenly realised there
    >> must be plenty of people in here using OSS accounting software in
    >> NZ, so your recommendations please!
    >>
    >> A list of options would be okay, but what I am really looking for
    >> your personal comments on what you are actually using (or have
    >> tried and rejected) with reasons for why it is good or bad.
    >>
    >> The business is mainly services, but with some inventory and fixed
    >> assets so we figure we need:
    >>
    >> GL
    >> CB
    >> AP
    >> AR
    >> FA
    >> Inventory
    >>
    >> Payroll would be great too, but not a major issue and would not
    >> stop us using something if payroll was absent.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Alan.
    >>

    > A good place to start for OSS is www.freshmeat.net, just put in a
    > key word and take a look at the projects. Sourceforge is another.
    >
    > "accounting"
    >
    > http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=accounting&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
    >
    > or "payroll"
    >
    > http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=payroll&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
    >
    > This might suit,
    >
    > http://freshmeat.net/projects/paymaster/
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Thanks Thing - if I can't find anyone in NZ actually running an OSS
    accounting application then to be honest we'll probably go for the
    safe route and buy MYOB and MS Office.

    Interesting list of options there though!

    Alan, Sep 29, 2008
  13. Alan Alan

    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 00:13:09 +1200, Alan Alan wrote:
    >
    >> The business is mainly services, but with some inventory and fixed
    >> assets so we figure we need:
    >>
    >> GL
    >> CB
    >> AP
    >> AR
    >> FA
    >> Inventory
    >>
    >> Payroll would be great too, but not a major issue and would not
    >> stop us
    >> using something if payroll was absent.

    > You may want to try:
    >
    > http://ledgersmb.org/
    >
    > http://www.treshna.com/paymaster/
    >

    > --
    > Dilger: "Microsoft is first and foremost a marketing
    > company that flogs third rate technology products."

    Hi Carnations,

    How have you found them in actual use?

    Have you had any issues with the specific requirements of NZ
    accounting (GST etc)?

    Any issues at year end with respect to your accountant not getting
    info they need, or the IRD?

    Thanks,

    Alan, Sep 29, 2008
  14. Alan Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in
    message news:newscache$dykx7k$8a4$...

    > "Alan Alan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I have a colleague who wants to set up his business with purely
    >> open source software.

    > http://www.sql-ledger.org/

    Hi Tony,

    How have you found sql-ledger in actual use?

    Alan, Sep 29, 2008
  15. Alan Alan

    Alan Guest

    "PeeCee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > You could try Turbo Cash
    > http://www.turbocash.net/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
    > (Free but I'm not sure it's open source)

    Hi Paul,

    How have you found TurboCash in actual use?

    Have you had any issues with the specific requirements of NZ
    accounting (GST etc)?

    Any issues at year end with respect to your accountant not getting
    info they need, or the IRD?

    > or
    > GNU Cash http://www.gnucash.org/ (free 'and' open source.
    >
    > Paul.

    This is a copy of what I posted in reply to Bruce above who also
    mentioned GNUCash (not meaning to be lazy!):

    Alan, Sep 29, 2008
  16. Alan Alan

    Sam Guest

    I put
    "open source" accounting zealand
    into Google

    First result
    http://tinyurl.com/4pan56
    "...All submissions are managed by the two main developers from New
    Zealand, Phil Daintree and Tim Schofield..."

    http://www.weberp.org/WeberpFeatures
    "Very flexible taxation options suitable for Canada, US, South Africa,
    UK, Australia, NZ and most other countries"
    Sam, Sep 29, 2008
  17. Alan Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    >I put
    > "open source" accounting zealand
    > into Google
    >
    > First result
    > http://tinyurl.com/4pan56
    > "...All submissions are managed by the two main developers from New
    > Zealand, Phil Daintree and Tim Schofield..."
    >

    > http://www.weberp.org/WeberpFeatures
    > "Very flexible taxation options suitable for Canada, US, South
    > Africa, UK, Australia, NZ and most other countries"

    Hi Sam,

    I saw those too.

    Do you have (or know first-hand any who has) any actual experience
    with using either of those in NZ?

    Given the critical nature of an accounting system to a business, we
    don't really want to take any more risks than necessary, and the lack
    of any first-hand experience (so far) is making me think that we'll
    play it safe and go with a proprietary accounting system - at least we
    will know who to call if it doesn't work or we can't make it do what
    we want / need!

    However, thanks for the post!

    Alan, Sep 29, 2008
  18. In article <gbpeua$26p$>, "Alan" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <>
    >wrote in message news:gbp6rm$dh$...
    >> In article <>, Peter
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>MYOB runs on Wine. I have it running on Kubuntu 8.04, going fine so
    >>>far.

    >> I've just been reading about gnucash (comapred to money and quicken)
    >> so
    >> perhaps that might be worth a look ?

    >Correct me if I am wrong (it won't be a new experience for me!) but
    >GNUCash is more of a personal finance application (a la MS Money or
    >Quicken) rather than a business accounting application (a la MYOB or
    >Quickbooks)?

    Yes, I think that's right, but I have no experience with it at all. Just
    found it mentioned elsewhere in a discusion about finance packages. :)
    Of course, it rather depends how big the business is or expects to get too.

    Sugget checking out some of the index sites (like sourceforge). If you want
    it chances are someone else has too so it's already out there. I just found
    an OSS LIMS for example. Hoora (for the future, as we don't quite need one
    yet :) ).

    HTH
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 29, 2008
  19. Alan Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <>
    wrote in message news:gbplqg$qb3$...
    > In article <gbpeua$26p$>, "Alan" <> wrote:
    >>"Bruce Sinclair" <>
    >>wrote in message news:gbp6rm$dh$...

    >>> I've just been reading about gnucash (comapred to money and
    >>> quicken)
    >>> so
    >>> perhaps that might be worth a look ?

    >>Correct me if I am wrong (it won't be a new experience for me!) but
    >>GNUCash is more of a personal finance application (a la MS Money or
    >>Quicken) rather than a business accounting application (a la MYOB or
    >>Quickbooks)?

    > Yes, I think that's right, but I have no experience with it at all.
    > Just
    > found it mentioned elsewhere in a discusion about finance packages.
    > :)
    > Of course, it rather depends how big the business is or expects to
    > get too.
    >
    > Sugget checking out some of the index sites (like sourceforge). If
    > you want
    > it chances are someone else has too so it's already out there. I
    > just found
    > an OSS LIMS for example. Hoora (for the future, as we don't quite
    > need one
    > yet :) ).
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks Bruce.

    I have done that, and there are many options.

    My concern is how well they operate in practice in an NZ business
    (with the specific requirements of GST and other local oddities etc).

    Also, I find it telling that I have found anyone (yet!) that is
    actually using an OSS accounting system in NZ. I suspect that this is
    one type of application that OSS does not really work for - it is too
    critical to a business, and when something doesn't work or work the
    way you want it, you really need to be able to pick up the phone and
    get an answer / support from a vendor (e.g. MYOB or whoever).

    It is disappointing, as I would love to see a business prove that OSS
    is fully viable across the board, but we have to be pragmatic as well
    as idealistic!

    I found an IT company that specialises in OSS in Chch (I think it was)
    that talks on their website about using all OSS software, but if you
    read the details, they note that they one single proprietory
    application (their accounting software). Telling!

    Thanks again,

    Alan, Sep 29, 2008
  20. In message <gbpi4c$dic$>, Alan wrote:

    > Given the critical nature of an accounting system to a business, we
    > don't really want to take any more risks than necessary, and the lack
    > of any first-hand experience (so far) is making me think that we'll
    > play it safe and go with a proprietary accounting system ...

    Alternatively, you can invest some time yourself in exploring the
    alternatives that others have suggested. Download them, set up a trial
    system, in parallel with your existing production system, and see how it
    works.

    This is often how it works with open-source software: the "community" is a
    two-way street.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 29, 2008