    normal, maybe there are processes which routinely open these ports. Im not
    aware of a web server running on my PC. Can anyone explain please.
    Cheers

    Paul, Dec 7, 2003

  2. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    news:3fd36201$0$7004$...
    > Im accessing the internet using a broadband router. I recently ran the
    > symantec security check to scan for open ports. Most ports appear as
    > closed rather than blocked, which i believe is normal using these routers.
    > However the ports for ICMP and port 80(web server) are open. Is this
    > normal, maybe there are processes which routinely open these ports. Im

    not
    > aware of a web server running on my PC. Can anyone explain please.

    ICMP doesn't have a "port" per say (oft misused technical term ;o); Port 80
    could indicate a web-based check, but could also indicate an unsecured
    router.

    Best try somewhere else or check the router model (either try the "my ego
    cannot be constrained" grc.com, or simply Google/post here with router
    details. Some [generally cheapo Taiwanese] have an open admin interface
    "out-of-the-box"; the vast majority don't)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Paul

    Giel Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Im accessing the internet using a broadband router. I recently ran the
    > symantec security check to scan for open ports. Most ports appear as
    > closed rather than blocked, which i believe is normal using these routers.
    > However the ports for ICMP and port 80(web server) are open. Is this
    > normal, maybe there are processes which routinely open these ports. Im

    not
    > aware of a web server running on my PC. Can anyone explain please.
    > Cheers

    ICMP, Internet Control and Management Protocol, like hairy kenoby said,
    could be any port, there's ping , traceroute and plenty LAN features.
    With most routers and firewalls you can selectively block them.
    So if you don't want to reply on a ping(or trace ect.), look it up in the
    firewall/router.
    If you block some port, it will be closed to other systems trying to open
    it, so no wurries there.
    The port 80 open on your internet site while not running a webserver can be
    dangerous, it's the router's configuration-site, you must at least set a
    good password there, or make it only accessable from the LAN.
    Regarts:Giel

    Try my ADBlocker at http://nina.xs4all.nl/pac/
    Try my Portscan at http://nina.xs4all.nl/scan (under constr.)

    Giel, Dec 7, 2003