    Could anyone please point me in the direction of help on open ports....135
    and 1025........and port 1026 showing closed but not stealthed.

    Am using outpost free on xp. TIA

    Swig, Jul 31, 2004

  2. Swig

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Swig" <> wrote in news::

    > Could anyone please point me in the direction of help on open
    > ports....135 and 1025........and port 1026 showing closed but not
    > stealthed.
    >
    > Am using outpost free on xp. TIA

    I suggest you find some other test sites, because one site may indicate
    one thing while another testing site will show a different result. In
    addition, stealth port is BS and is a marketing ploy just like calling a
    NAT router for home usage a firewall appliance. The more important thing
    is that the port is *closed*.

    If you don't want anything listening on port 135, then shut the port down
    through the O/S, which is being explained in the link. You may also want
    to do a couple other things in the link to *harden* the O/S to attack.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 31, 2004

  3. Swig

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "Swig" <> wrote in news::
    >

    >>Could anyone please point me in the direction of help on open
    >>ports....135 and 1025........and port 1026 showing closed but not
    >>stealthed.
    >>
    >>Am using outpost free on xp. TIA
    >>

    > I suggest you find some other test sites, because one site may indicate
    > one thing while another testing site will show a different result. In
    > addition, stealth port is BS and is a marketing ploy just like calling a
    > NAT router for home usage a firewall appliance. The more important thing
    > is that the port is *closed*.
    >
    > If you don't want anything listening on port 135, then shut the port down
    > through the O/S, which is being explained in the link. You may also want
    > to do a couple other things in the link to *harden* the O/S to attack.
    >
    > http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php
    >
    > Duane :)

    Duane: Plonk!

    Rick Merrill, Jul 31, 2004
  4. Swig

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Swig wrote:

    > Could anyone please point me in the direction of help on open ports....135
    > and 1025........and port 1026 showing closed but not stealthed.
    >
    > Am using outpost free on xp. TIA

    see
    http://www.agnitum.com/support/outpostfaq.html#general12

    "stealthed" means the port just plain does not answer.

    1026 is the UDP port and you should be able to block it.

    I recommend you use a LinkSys (or similar) Router to keep
    your unused ports close for you and hide your local IP
    addresses from internet snooping. - RM

    Rick Merrill, Jul 31, 2004
  5. Swig

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jul 31, 2004
  6. Swig

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Rick Merrill <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >> "Swig" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>Could anyone please point me in the direction of help on open
    >>>ports....135 and 1025........and port 1026 showing closed but not
    >>>stealthed.
    >>>
    >>>Am using outpost free on xp. TIA
    >>>

    >> I suggest you find some other test sites, because one site may
    >> indicate one thing while another testing site will show a different
    >> result. In addition, stealth port is BS and is a marketing ploy just
    >> like calling a NAT router for home usage a firewall appliance. The
    >> more important thing is that the port is *closed*.
    >>
    >> If you don't want anything listening on port 135, then shut the port
    >> down through the O/S, which is being explained in the link. You may
    >> also want to do a couple other things in the link to *harden* the O/S
    >> to attack.
    >>
    >> http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Duane: Plonk!

    I see now that you don't have a *clue*. This discussion has been held
    more than a few times about stealth and its meaning. The experts at
    comp.security.firewalls will tell you the same.

    The article explains it perfectly.

    http://blogzine.net/archives/000073.html

    If you knew what you were talking about, you would be dangerous.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 31, 2004
  7. Swig

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:29:41 +0100, "Swig" <> wrote:

    >Could anyone please point me in the direction of help on open ports....135
    >and 1025........and port 1026 showing closed but not stealthed.
    >
    >Am using outpost free on xp. TIA

    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    Test here. The site also explains how to stealth the ports too.

    Enable the XP Internet Connection Firewall.
    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, Local Area
    Connections, General tab, Properties button, Advanced tab, and check the
    box, "Protect my computer and network....... etc", click "OK"

    Description of the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320855

    HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283673

    HOW TO: Open Ports in the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp
    Can use the above info to CLOSE ports.

    Unk, Jul 31, 2004