open oldest unread message first, possible?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cloud Burst, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. Cloud Burst

    Cloud Burst Guest

    Hi.

    I tried posting to an OE group and got no help.

    This has been annoying me for a long time.

    When I go to a folder in Outlook Express that has both read and new
    unread messages, OE always jumps to the NEWEST unread message first.

    This is INCORRECT behavior for me since the message could easily be
    part of a thread that I'd like to read in the proper order.

    Is there a way to configure OE to go to the OLDEST unread message
    instead when I go into a group with new messages?

    Before you suggest sorting by date, that doesn't work. OE always
    opens the NEWEST message no matter how you display the messages in
    the folder.

    Thanks.

    CB

    Cloud Burst, Oct 2, 2004

  2. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    Cloud Burst <> typed
    || Hi.
    || I tried posting to an OE group and got no help.
    || This has been annoying me for a long time.
    || When I go to a folder in Outlook Express that has both read and new
    || unread messages, OE always jumps to the NEWEST unread message first.
    || This is INCORRECT behavior for me since the message could easily be
    || part of a thread that I'd like to read in the proper order.
    || Is there a way to configure OE to go to the OLDEST unread message
    || instead when I go into a group with new messages?
    || Before you suggest sorting by date, that doesn't work. OE always
    || opens the NEWEST message no matter how you display the messages in
    || the folder.
    || Thanks.
    || CB

    To set OE to show the olderst message at the top of the page, click the
    'Sent' label obove the dates of the messages. The arrow should point up.
    That's it.

    Robert de Brus, Oct 2, 2004

  3. Cloud Burst

    ~Joanne420~ Guest

    In Outlook Express go to: View, Current View, Check "Group messages by
    Conversation" and Voila! :)

    "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message

    | In news:,
    | Cloud Burst <> typed
    | || Hi.
    | ||
    | || I tried posting to an OE group and got no help.
    | ||
    | || This has been annoying me for a long time.
    | ||
    | || When I go to a folder in Outlook Express that has both read and new
    | || unread messages, OE always jumps to the NEWEST unread message first.
    | ||
    | || This is INCORRECT behavior for me since the message could easily be
    | || part of a thread that I'd like to read in the proper order.
    | ||
    | || Is there a way to configure OE to go to the OLDEST unread message
    | || instead when I go into a group with new messages?
    | ||
    | || Before you suggest sorting by date, that doesn't work. OE always
    | || opens the NEWEST message no matter how you display the messages in
    | || the folder.
    | ||
    | || Thanks.
    | ||

    ~Joanne420~, Oct 2, 2004
  4. Cloud Burst

    Cloud Burst Guest

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 03:04:47 GMT, "~Joanne420~" <> wrote:

    >In Outlook Express go to: View, Current View, Check "Group messages by
    >Conversation" and Voila! :)

    Yours is the best solution I've seen. Not quite 100%, but close.

    Thanks.

    Cloud Burst, Oct 4, 2004