open office looking to support excel macros......

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thing2, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. thing2

    thing2 Guest

    thing2, Mar 13, 2006

  2. On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:39:06 +1300, thing2 wrote:

    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060312052013937
    >
    > "......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
    > interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft
    > Excel spreadsheet macros."
    >
    > seems topical in here at present......

    Indeed.

    It very much looks like Novell has done some serious research into what
    changes need(ed) to be made to SuSE Linux in order to seriously improve
    it's attractiveness to the corporate arena.

    It sounds very much like the next release from Novell will be very much
    worth trying out.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 14, 2006

  3. thing2

    Alan Guest

    "thing2" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060312052013937
    >
    > "......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
    > interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common
    > Microsoft Excel spreadsheet macros."
    >
    > seems topical in here at present......
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Now *that* would seriously reduce the potential cost of OOo to many
    businesses.

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Mar 14, 2006
  4. "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:39:06 +1300, thing2 wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060312052013937
    >>
    >> "......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
    >> interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft
    >> Excel spreadsheet macros."
    >>
    >> seems topical in here at present......

    > Indeed.
    >
    > It very much looks like Novell has done some serious research into what
    > changes need(ed) to be made to SuSE Linux in order to seriously improve
    > it's attractiveness to the corporate arena.
    >
    > It sounds very much like the next release from Novell will be very much
    > worth trying out.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
    > forever.
    > 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    > 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

    And the gold medal for use of the phrase "very much" goes to........
    The Jesus of Suburbia, Mar 14, 2006
  5. "Alan" <> wrote in message

    > "thing2" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060312052013937
    >>
    >> "......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro interpreter
    >> for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft Excel
    >> spreadsheet macros."
    >>
    >> seems topical in here at present......
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing
    >>

    > Now *that* would seriously reduce the potential cost of OOo to many
    > businesses.
    >
    > Alan.
    >

    > --

    I disagree. I know of only a handful of business users of MS Office for whom
    macros are a stumbling block to moving to OOo. OOo's biggest problems are
    performance and the lack of a fully-integrated email client. At least 90% of
    the businesses I deal with have evaluated OOo and none of them has made the
    move. Yes the price is right but currently the product isn't.
    The Jesus of Suburbia, Mar 14, 2006
  6. On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:10:23 +1300, The Jesus of Suburbia wrote:

    > And the gold medal for use of the phrase "very much" goes to........

    Looks like the chimps are back in Kelburn zoo.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "How on earth do you manage to convince someone to switch a computer
    on in the morning for you is beyond me."
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 14, 2006
  7. thing2

    Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:39:06 +1300, thing2 wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060312052013937
    >>
    >>"......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
    >>interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft
    >>Excel spreadsheet macros."
    >>
    >>seems topical in here at present......

    > Indeed.
    >
    > It very much looks like Novell has done some serious research into what
    > changes need(ed) to be made to SuSE Linux in order to seriously improve
    > it's attractiveness to the corporate arena.
    >
    > It sounds very much like the next release from Novell will be very much
    > worth trying out.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Interesting that they have dropped the "Novell" from the Linux and put
    back in Suse....big company marketing at its finest......ug....

    regards

    Steven
    , Mar 14, 2006
  8. thing2

    Guest

    The Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
    > "Alan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"thing2" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060312052013937
    >>>
    >>>"......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro interpreter
    >>>for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft Excel
    >>>spreadsheet macros."
    >>>
    >>>seems topical in here at present......
    >>>
    >>>regards
    >>>
    >>>Thing
    >>>

    >>Now *that* would seriously reduce the potential cost of OOo to many
    >>businesses.
    >>
    >>Alan.
    >>

    >>--
    >>

    > I disagree. I know of only a handful of business users of MS Office for whom
    > macros are a stumbling block to moving to OOo. OOo's biggest problems are
    > performance and the lack of a fully-integrated email client. At least 90% of
    > the businesses I deal with have evaluated OOo and none of them has made the
    > move. Yes the price is right but currently the product isn't.

    Start up performance or every day performance?

    I find oOo's start up slow, however once in use I find no issues with
    how fast it runs, even on my lowly hardware.

    I dont find the "integrated" email client a biggee either, forcing users
    to use a buggy/worm/virus/trojan/key-logger/spyware riddled outlook is
    no plus in my book.

    The biggest stumbling blocks I find for oOo is,

    The people who are barely capable of using any Office suite let alone
    moving to a new one....

    plus the not few small businesses who have a high % of pirated software
    (and not just MS Office) so have no incentive to swap, both Offices are
    in effect free to them.

    Plus the many NT admins I come across who quite happily support such
    businesses and indeed illegally use such software themselves.....

    My conclusion is, I dont try and go near such businesses and dont send
    oOo or OSS their way either.

    regards

    Thing
    , Mar 14, 2006
  9. thing2

    Joe Black Guest

    "thing2" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060312052013937
    >
    > "......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
    > interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft
    > Excel spreadsheet macros."
    >
    > seems topical in here at present......
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    What are the most common Excel spreadsheet macros?

    - Joe
    Joe Black, Mar 14, 2006
  10. On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:26:20 +1300, y wrote:

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:39:06 +1300, thing2 wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060312052013937
    >>>
    >>>"......but something else Novell developed, a real-time macro
    >>>interpreter for OpenOffice.org which can read the most common Microsoft
    >>>Excel spreadsheet macros."
    >>>
    >>>seems topical in here at present......

    >> Indeed.
    >>
    >> It very much looks like Novell has done some serious research into what
    >> changes need(ed) to be made to SuSE Linux in order to seriously improve
    >> it's attractiveness to the corporate arena.
    >>
    >> It sounds very much like the next release from Novell will be very much
    >> worth trying out.
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>

    > Interesting that they have dropped the "Novell" from the Linux and put
    > back in Suse....big company marketing at its finest......ug....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Steven

    I think it's a good thing to go back to using "SuSE" as the name of
    Novell's distro of Linux.

    The "SuSE" brand has a good reputation. I think Novell should never have
    attempted a "Novell" branded Linux.

    I just hope that Novell, in it's zeal to take on the enterprise market,
    does not wreck the best features of SuSE - not least being KDE as the
    default desktop.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 14, 2006
  11. On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:41:17 +1300, y wrote:

    > plus the not few small businesses who have a high % of pirated software
    > (and not just MS Office) so have no incentive to swap, both Offices are
    > in effect free to them.
    >
    > Plus the many NT admins I come across who quite happily support such
    > businesses and indeed illegally use such software themselves.....
    >
    > My conclusion is, I dont try and go near such businesses and dont send
    > oOo or OSS their way either.

    If a business is prepared to use pirated software, then that indicates
    something about the ethics of that business and the sort of risk it is
    prepared to take. No doubt that business (along with most in due course)
    will eventually find itself in the situation where it will need to adopt
    Open Source software, and it will already have a reputation for it's
    ethics, and thus may find difficulty in obtaining support from reputable
    admins.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 14, 2006
  12. thing2

    thing2 Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:41:17 +1300, y wrote:
    >

    >>plus the not few small businesses who have a high % of pirated software
    >>(and not just MS Office) so have no incentive to swap, both Offices are
    >>in effect free to them.
    >>
    >>Plus the many NT admins I come across who quite happily support such
    >>businesses and indeed illegally use such software themselves.....
    >>
    >>My conclusion is, I dont try and go near such businesses and dont send
    >>oOo or OSS their way either.

    > If a business is prepared to use pirated software, then that indicates
    > something about the ethics of that business and the sort of risk it is
    > prepared to take. No doubt that business (along with most in due course)
    > will eventually find itself in the situation where it will need to adopt
    > Open Source software, and it will already have a reputation for it's
    > ethics, and thus may find difficulty in obtaining support from reputable
    > admins.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Hmm, over the years sitting on my side of the room (ie the Linux/Unix
    side) I have found it quite interesting just how many NT admins play
    with, download and use pirated commercial software, dvds and
    music....and dont think anything of it. Yet when I point out that there
    are GPL versions/equivs for some software that allow them to play
    without breaking copyright they seem not to want to know....has me
    perplexed.......Its like they want to keep ther systems free of any OSS
    no matter what that means......almost like blind fear.....

    Some businesses used to complain they could not afford to become legal,
    they (claimed that) were making so little money that the MS Office
    licences were just too much to bear.....yet they would happily use a MS
    Office 97 cd multiple times....Kinda like smoking, nice to do and you
    may not get caught or you may not....pretty nasty ending if you do though.

    regards

    Thing
    thing2, Mar 14, 2006
  13. On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:57:23 +1300, thing2 wrote:

    > Hmm, over the years sitting on my side of the room (ie the Linux/Unix
    > side) I have found it quite interesting just how many NT admins play
    > with, download and use pirated commercial software, dvds and
    > music....and dont think anything of it. Yet when I point out that there
    > are GPL versions/equivs for some software that allow them to play
    > without breaking copyright they seem not to want to know....has me
    > perplexed.......Its like they want to keep ther systems free of any OSS
    > no matter what that means......almost like blind fear.....

    If all they know is the Micro$oft way, then everything outside of that
    will be frightening for them, as they would be needing to think for
    themselves and won't have Micro$oft holding their hand all the time.

    If the average Windows user has software that is supposed to prevent
    viruses, then will that person tend to act as if their computer is not
    suseptable to viral infection? Or will that person be cautious?

    Perhaps the average NT admin likes creating work for themselves. ;o)

    > Some businesses used to complain they could not afford to become legal,
    > they (claimed that) were making so little money that the MS Office
    > licences were just too much to bear.....yet they would happily use a MS
    > Office 97 cd multiple times....Kinda like smoking, nice to do and you
    > may not get caught or you may not....pretty nasty ending if you do though.

    If those businesses cannot afford to purchase a Micro$oft licence (and yes
    they ARE expensive) then they should look around for alternatives.

    Oh yeah - Micro$oft wants everybody to believe that there are no
    alternatives.

    This is why, IMHO, Open source and Free standards compliant software needs
    to be more actively promoted and pushed forward, and advertised, at every
    opportunity as being a legitimate and valid alternative to proprietary
    closed source stuff - which it is.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 14, 2006