    But when I went to do it, I got an Avast! malware warning about
    CVE-2007-3896

    What the heck is going on?
    Moon Goddess, Nov 1, 2007

  2. Moon Goddess

    Mike Easter Guest

    Moon Goddess wrote:
    > I just discovered that Open Office Writer can export a file as a pdf.
    > How cool!
    >
    > But when I went to do it, I got an Avast! malware warning about
    > CVE-2007-3896
    >

    > What the heck is going on?

    Avast virus definitions are called VPS. The newest VPS is 31.10.2007
    which is a wrongheaded way to write a date whose ISO 8601 compliant
    format would be 2007-10-31

    On this page of recent VPS history, we have:
    31.10.2007 - 71031-1
    CVE-2007-3896 [Expl], Win32:DarkMill, Win32:Nathan, Win32:RainSong,
    Win32:Tick

    What that means to you and your Avast and your OO and its .pdf you'll
    have to work out with Avast. I use AVG.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 1, 2007

  3. Moon Goddess

    Guest

    , Nov 1, 2007
  4. Moon Goddess

    Tony Guest

    Well you should know using that goddam freeware shit. This is why there's
    such a thing as shareware.

    Tony, Nov 1, 2007
  5. Moon Goddess

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Moon Goddess" <> wrote in message
    >I just discovered that Open Office Writer can export a file as a pdf. How
    > cool!
    >
    > But when I went to do it, I got an Avast! malware warning about
    > CVE-2007-3896
    >

    > What the heck is going on?

    Unless Open Office is generating a PDF virus (which I very much doubt) it
    just goes to show that Avast isn't perfect. You will find that most (perhaps
    all) anti-virus products will raise some false positives, i.e. report a
    virus on some files where there isn't one.

    I suggest you raise it with Avast. I don't use Avast but I would expect that
    they provide some avenue for you to report this.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Nov 1, 2007
  6. Moon Goddess

    Guest

    "Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >"Moon Goddess" <> wrote in message
    >>I just discovered that Open Office Writer can export a file as a pdf. How
    >> cool!
    >>
    >> But when I went to do it, I got an Avast! malware warning about
    >> CVE-2007-3896
    >>

    >> What the heck is going on?

    >Unless Open Office is generating a PDF virus (which I very much doubt)

    The way it looks is s/he is infected and on the creation of a PDF it
    tries to inject itself into the file.

    http://packetstormsecurity.org/filedesc/CVE-2007-3896.txt.html
    is the third party patch that is mentioned in the other link above.
    --

    http://www.rav.efbnet.com/humour/ohshit-cat.jpg
    , Nov 1, 2007
  7. Moon Goddess

    Brian Cryer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"Moon Goddess" <> wrote in message
    >>>I just discovered that Open Office Writer can export a file as a pdf. How
    >>> cool!
    >>>
    >>> But when I went to do it, I got an Avast! malware warning about
    >>> CVE-2007-3896
    >>>

    >>> What the heck is going on?

    >>Unless Open Office is generating a PDF virus (which I very much doubt)

    > The way it looks is s/he is infected and on the creation of a PDF it
    > tries to inject itself into the file.
    >
    > http://packetstormsecurity.org/filedesc/CVE-2007-3896.txt.html
    > is the third party patch that is mentioned in the other link above.

    Isn't installing third-party-patches a good way to ensure that you are
    infected with something even if you weren't before? This patch may be
    genuine, but I wouldn't trust it. Which of course raises the good question
    of why do I blindly trust Microsoft ... er ... humm ...

    If you think the OP may be infected then he/she ought to download a number
    of different scanners and do the best to identify if the pc is infected.
    What next depends on what (if anything) is found.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Nov 1, 2007
  8. Moon Goddess

    j d Guest

    "Moon Goddess" <> wrote in message
    >I just discovered that Open Office Writer can export a file as a pdf. How
    > cool!
    >
    > But when I went to do it, I got an Avast! malware warning about
    > CVE-2007-3896
    >

    > What the heck is going on?

    may be a false positive.

    i use avast (the best, imo) but i'm reasonably convinced that all virus
    programs whether freeware, shareware or ripoffpayware, have false positives
    on occassions ..

    avast for instance sometimes flags programs that use upx compression as a
    trojan becoz thats what some trojans used before ...
    j d, Nov 1, 2007
  9. Moon Goddess

    nobody > Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Well you should know using that goddam freeware shit. This is why there's
    > such a thing as shareware.

    > Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

    STFU Tony.

    Avast is one of the best anti-virus programs out there. Just because
    it's free changes nothing.

    *ALL* AV programs have strange (and in this case cryptic) results from
    time to time. I've personally seen 2 of them in the 7+ years I've been
    using Avast. Each time there was an automatic virus database update
    within hours.

    nobody >, Nov 1, 2007
  10. Moon Goddess

    Guest

    "Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> "Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Moon Goddess" <> wrote in message

    >>>Unless Open Office is generating a PDF virus (which I very much doubt)

    >> The way it looks is s/he is infected and on the creation of a PDF it
    >> tries to inject itself into the file.
    >>
    >> http://packetstormsecurity.org/filedesc/CVE-2007-3896.txt.html
    >> is the third party patch that is mentioned in the other link above.

    >Isn't installing third-party-patches a good way to ensure that you are
    >infected with something even if you weren't before? This patch may be
    >genuine, but I wouldn't trust it. Which of course raises the good question
    >of why do I blindly trust Microsoft ... er ... humm ...

    I wan't supporting the patch just the info provided

    >If you think the OP may be infected then he/she ought to download a number
    >of different scanners and do the best to identify if the pc is infected.
    >What next depends on what (if anything) is found.

    Avast seems to be working :)
    --

    http://www.rav.efbnet.com/humour/ohshit-cat.jpg
    , Nov 1, 2007
  11. Moon Goddess

    Tony Guest

    Avast = Freeware = Poop Open Office = Freeware = Poop

    Tony, Nov 2, 2007
  12. Moon Goddess

    Brian Cryer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > I wan't supporting the patch just the info provided

    My mistake. Sorry.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian