"Open Office": First Impressions Of, & What Do Others Think Also ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gordon, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just curious what others think:
    >
    > I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
    > programs "Open Office"
    >
    > Wow !
    >
    > Really works well.
    >
    > Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?
    >
    > Am I missing anything ?
    >
    > Bob

    The latest version even has the equivalent of Pivot tables as well!

    Robert11, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Gordon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | Just curious what others think:
    |
    | I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
    | programs "Open Office"
    |
    | Wow !
    |
    | Really works well.
    |
    | Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?
    |
    | Am I missing anything ?

    Yes. Bloatware, MS activation, and a few little features that few people
    remember how to use anyway <g>

    There may be more, but if you're happy with it, then that's what matters!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Gordon

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in news:NqudnVGwcrBq6FncRVn-
    :

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just curious what others think:
    >
    > I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
    > programs "Open Office"
    >
    > Wow !
    >
    > Really works well.
    >
    > Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?
    >
    > Am I missing anything ?
    >
    > Bob

    There is a lot of things one can to with the MS Office products programming
    wise with examples in books on how to interface with them and use the
    features such as MS Word Spell Checker in other applications, Excel, etc,
    etc. I use Linux and Open Office too and it's nothing to be pulling your
    'draws' down to your ankles about. ;-) It's just another product.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "Robert11" <> wrote in news:NqudnVGwcrBq6FncRVn-
    > :
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Just curious what others think:
    >>
    >> I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
    >> programs "Open Office"
    >>
    >> Wow !
    >>
    >> Really works well.
    >>
    >> Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?
    >>
    >> Am I missing anything ?
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    > There is a lot of things one can to with the MS Office products
    > programming wise with examples in books on how to interface with them
    > and use the features such as MS Word Spell Checker in other
    > applications, Excel, etc, etc. I use Linux and Open Office too and
    > it's nothing to be pulling your 'draws' down to your ankles about.
    > ;-) It's just another product.
    >
    > Duane :)

    The point is, your average "Joe Public" doesn't use more than 25% of the
    functionality of the Office applications, for which they pay a large sum of
    money in anybody's language. Open Office does EVERYTHING that "Joe Public"
    generally uses, is compatible with Office, and is free. What more could "Joe
    Public" want? And yet MS is pushing Office like it's going out of fashion as
    being the de facto default Office suite. As I said, why should "Joe Public"
    pay huge sums of money for something they only use 25% of?

    Gordon, Dec 19, 2004
  6. Gordon

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >> "Robert11" <> wrote in news:NqudnVGwcrBq6FncRVn-
    >> :
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Just curious what others think:
    >>>
    >>> I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
    >>> programs "Open Office"
    >>>
    >>> Wow !
    >>>
    >>> Really works well.
    >>>
    >>> Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing anything ?
    >>>
    >>> Bob
    >>>

    >> There is a lot of things one can to with the MS Office products
    >> programming wise with examples in books on how to interface with them
    >> and use the features such as MS Word Spell Checker in other
    >> applications, Excel, etc, etc. I use Linux and Open Office too and
    >> it's nothing to be pulling your 'draws' down to your ankles about.
    >> ;-) It's just another product.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > The point is, your average "Joe Public" doesn't use more than 25% of
    > the functionality of the Office applications, for which they pay a
    > large sum of money in anybody's language. Open Office does EVERYTHING
    > that "Joe Public" generally uses, is compatible with Office, and is
    > free. What more could "Joe Public" want? And yet MS is pushing Office
    > like it's going out of fashion as being the de facto default Office
    > suite. As I said, why should "Joe Public" pay huge sums of money for
    > something they only use 25% of?

    Who cares about the Joe Public point? Joe Public can barely get a computer
    to do anything period. Something being free doesn't make it a better
    product. And why would someone pay money for a product? It's because of the
    documentation and support behind it, ease of use and my favorite word
    *Capitalism*. The average Joe or any other kind of Joe doesn't have Linux
    on their machine and its going to be a long long long long time before it
    happens. And if you think that this really means anything in the long run
    about Office being free or not free, then pull your draws up. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Gordon

    Plato Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > The point is, your average "Joe Public" doesn't use more than 25% of the
    > functionality of the Office applications, for which they pay a large sum of

    My guess would be that 25% might even be too high.

    Plato, Dec 20, 2004
  8. Gordon

    Old Gringo Guest

    Re: "Open Office": First Impressions Of, & What Do Others ThinkAlso ?

    Robert11 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just curious what others think:
    >
    > I just downloaded and started using the free suite of
    > programs "Open Office"
    >
    > Wow !
    >
    > Really works well.
    >
    > Why would anyone want to buy MS Office ?
    >
    > Am I missing anything ?
    >
    > Bob

    Very nice program based on Sun Micro Systems StarOffice 5.2 which was
    spectacular when it was available. Good Luck

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Dec 20, 2004