    --
    Thank You,
    Richard

    Richard, Jan 3, 2010

  2. Richard

    Kerry Brown Guest

    Open Office runs fine on Windows 7 x64. If you are an Office power user OO
    id probably not for you. For most people it is an excellent competitor to
    Microsoft Office. As it's free to try there's no downside to seeing if it
    works for you. Personally I'm using Office 2010 beta which is also free for
    the beta period.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx

    --
    Kerry Brown
    http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

    Kerry Brown, Jan 3, 2010

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Ken, Thanks for your response. Based on that I have a few additional
    questions before I venture installation.

    Currently on my new HP Notebook, running Windows 7 64-bit, I have Works 9.0
    which was preinstalled by HP. I find Works to be more limited than I like
    especially in the area of spreadsheets.

    QUESTIONS:

    Does the OO spreadsheet allow for multiple worksheets in a file, with
    "linking" between worksheets and/or files?

    Does the OO spreadsheet allow for formatting of Headers & Footers? Can't
    seem to do this in Works 9.0.

    Formatting in Works 9.0 Word Processor seems to require saving additional
    templates.
    Does OO allow for "default format settings" in the (for lack of a better
    phrase) "main or default" OO new document, as was the case in Office 2000?

    I have a simple database file that I originally setup in Access 2000. This
    is just a simple list of books read over time. I was successful in
    converting this to Works 9.0 but again find formatting to be somewhat
    cumbersome. (This may just be a Works 9.0 "newbie" issue).
    If I install OO, will I be able to convert this database file from Works 9.0
    to OO?

    What is the scheduled "release date" for Office 2010?

    Will Office 2010 offer a suite that contains Word, Excel and Access, without
    Outlook?
    I'm using WLM for my email application with ISP email accounts and it seems
    to meet my email needs plus it allows me newsgroup access.
    When I had Office 2000, I needed Outlook for mail and Outlook Express for
    newsgroups.

    Since I have a number of Office 2000 and now Works 9.0 files, will I be able
    to convert ALL of them to Office 2010 without "major" complications?

    What are you seeing as the biggest improvements or sacrifices between Office
    2010 and Office 2000? It seems from monitoring various Microsoft newsgroups
    and communities that they tend to remove some functionality previously
    provided in their new applications and operating systems while adding some
    new functionality.

    Depending on the responses, I may just wait of Office 2010, provided that it
    isn't too long of a wait. I dislike installing and uninstalling applications
    because it seems that you always leave behind debris form registry entries
    to useless folders. I'm not "techie" enough to venture into the registry,
    (I've learned the hard way) and I've never found a "registry cleaner", free
    or paid, that I trust. I only have one computer and I don't want to risk
    doing things that require a complete system recovery to fix. I've been
    there, done that too many times. It's not fun and very time consuming.

    I hope that you don't mind all of the questions.
    --
    Thank You,
    Richard

    Richard, Jan 3, 2010
  4. Richard

    Dan Guest

    Richard,

    You probably want to ask the OO related questions in an OpenOffice
    forum. Something like http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/

    I've looked through your OO questions and found that what you want to do
    is most likely easily possible with OpenOffice.

    If you do not want to disturb your system, try OpenOffice Portable. Just
    install it into any path on your system. It will not change any registry
    entry. http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
    You can later on delete the directory again.

    dan

    PS. I have actually "setup" a virtual portable drive on my pc with the
    command "subst p: c:\software\Portable"
    After that, I have a drive letter "P:\" in which I install all portable
    apps I use (including the http://portableapps.com/ platform). Then I
    synchronize the P: drive to my current USB stick to have it with me as
    well. OpenOffice runs either off that "virtual" P: drive, or directly
    from "C:\software\Portable\PortableApps\OpenOfficePortable". OO does not
    really care.

    Dan, Jan 3, 2010
  5. Richard

    TOM7601 Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Is Open Office compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?
    >
    > Are there any special installation procedures one must follow, such as
    > "run as administrator", install as Vista or Windows XP, etc.?
    >
    > As a long time user of Office 2000, what's the learning curve like in
    > transitioning to Open Office?
    >
    > Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated.

    For what it's worth, I installed OpenOffice on my Win7 64-bit computer.
    It installed fine and everything seemed to work, however I missed my
    Office 2000 Professional, so I uninstalled OO and installed my Microsoft
    Office 2000. It works perfectly, and it's nice to have my "old friend"
    back. Honestly, I really only use Word and Power Point, but do dabble
    with Access and Excel.
    --
    TOM - Vista, CA - USA

    TOM7601, Jan 3, 2010
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Tom, thanks for your response. This is "potential" very good news for me. I
    have a few questions before I jump in however.

    1. What, if any, compatibility mode did you use to install Office 2000
    Professional?

    2. Did you install via "run as administrator"?

    2. It's my understanding that Outlook won't work in Windows 7 64-bit.
    It's been so long since I installed Office 2000 Professional on my old
    system, I don't remember if you can elect not to install Outlook in the
    custom installation or not. Do you know if that's possible? I really don't
    need Outlook because I now use WLM and very satisfied with it.

    I'll probably look at Office 2010 when it's released but in the meantime, I
    also miss the "old friend".
    --
    Thank You,
    Richard

    Richard, Jan 3, 2010
  7. Richard

    Steve Foster Guest

    Richard wrote:

    >Is Open Office compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?

    Yes, running it here.

    >Are there any special installation procedures one must follow, such as
    >"run as administrator", install as Vista or Windows XP, etc.?

    Like any other installer, you'll get a UAC prompt if you don't "Run As
    Administrator".

    >As a long time user of Office 2000, what's the learning curve like in
    >transitioning to Open Office?

    For standard tasks, I expect that many would not even notice they'd
    changed application. It's high-level and expert users (who do things like
    learn keyboard shortcuts) that would be likely to be aware of the
    differences.

    --
    Steve Foster
    ------------

    Steve Foster, Jan 4, 2010
  8. Richard

    Steve Foster Guest

    Richard wrote:

    >QUESTIONS:
    >
    >Does the OO spreadsheet allow for multiple worksheets in a file, with
    >"linking" between worksheets and/or files?

    A new blank document has "Sheet1", "Sheet2" and "Sheet3" tabs, just like
    Excel. Typing an "=" into a cell on Sheet2, I can then click on Sheet1 and
    select a cell, and go back to Sheet2, and it's added "Sheet1.A3" to the
    formula.

    >Does the OO spreadsheet allow for formatting of Headers & Footers? Can't
    >seem to do this in Works 9.0.

    There's a Headers & Footers section on the Edit menu, so I'd say probably.

    >Formatting in Works 9.0 Word Processor seems to require saving additional
    >templates.
    >Does OO allow for "default format settings" in the (for lack of a better
    >phrase) "main or default" OO new document, as was the case in Office 2000?

    AFAICT, yes.

    >I have a simple database file that I originally setup in Access 2000. This
    >is just a simple list of books read over time. I was successful in
    >converting this to Works 9.0 but again find formatting to be somewhat
    >cumbersome. (This may just be a Works 9.0 "newbie" issue).
    >If I install OO, will I be able to convert this database file from Works
    >9.0 to OO?

    http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6694

    (IOW, you'll have to export it from Works to a "standard" format [eg DBF]
    to get it to OO)

    >What is the scheduled "release date" for Office 2010?

    2010.

    >Will Office 2010 offer a suite that contains Word, Excel and Access,
    >without Outlook?

    They haven't in the past, so probably not.

    >Since I have a number of Office 2000 and now Works 9.0 files, will I be
    >able to convert ALL of them to Office 2010 without "major" complications?

    As long as the files are in the latest format supported by those
    applications, or are saved to lowest-common-denominator formats (CSV,
    TXT), I wouldn't expect much in the way of problems. You might get some
    reformatting going on, but that's about it.

    --
    Steve Foster
    ------------

    Steve Foster, Jan 4, 2010
  9. Richard

    TOM7601 Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Tom, thanks for your response. This is "potential" very good news for
    > me. I have a few questions before I jump in however.
    >
    > 1. What, if any, compatibility mode did you use to install Office
    > 2000 Professional?
    >
    > 2. Did you install via "run as administrator"?
    >
    > 2. It's my understanding that Outlook won't work in Windows 7 64-bit.
    > It's been so long since I installed Office 2000 Professional on my old
    > system, I don't remember if you can elect not to install Outlook in the
    > custom installation or not. Do you know if that's possible? I really
    > don't need Outlook because I now use WLM and very satisfied with it.
    >
    > I'll probably look at Office 2010 when it's released but in the
    > meantime, I also miss the "old friend".

    I simply put in the CD and installed it. I don't remember if it asked
    about administrator mode, this step has become pretty automatic for me.

    It isn't running in any "mode," it works as is, so to speak.

    I haven't tried Outlook as I don't use it for my E-Mail.

    We have Office 2010 at work. I'm discovering how to make it do things
    that were easy with Office 2000 (at home) and Office 2003 (at work). The
    change was done for company-wide compatibility, but you should have hard
    the complaints about not being able to make this or that work. It's
    simply a matter of getting used to a new product; it takes time.

    At the moment, I'm in Safe Mode thanks to a dying hard drive... :<((
    --
    TOM - Vista, CA - USA

    TOM7601, Jan 8, 2010
  10. Richard

    nice get Guest

    Office 2000

    In my opinion, I truly believe that Office 2000 and FrontPage 2000 were the simplest, cleanest and easiest to install and uninstall compared to 2003 to 2010.

    I will never give-up either 2000 product until the day comes that Windows OS will not install them. Even if servers drop FrontPage extensions, one can still create an excellent web page with FP2000 then upload it via FTP.

    When it came to office and publishing software, Microsoft got it right during the "com rush" in the late 90s to 2002. Everthing else since then has too many bells and whistles for the average computer user.

    I too, only use Word and PowerPoint 2000.

    TOM7601 wrote:

    Richard wrote:For what it is worth, I installed OpenOffice on my Win7 64-bit
    03-Jan-10

    Richard wrote:

    For what it is worth, I installed OpenOffice on my Win7 64-bit computer.
    It installed fine and everything seemed to work, however I missed my
    Office 2000 Professional, so I uninstalled OO and installed my Microsoft
    Office 2000. It works perfectly, and it is nice to have my "old friend"
    back. Honestly, I really only use Word and Power Point, but do dabble
    with Access and Excel.
    --
    TOM - Vista, CA - USA

    On Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:17 PM
    Richard wrote:

    Open Office and Windows 7 64-bit Compatibility
    Is Open Office compatible with Windows 7 64-bit?

    Are there any special installation procedures one must follow, such as "run
    as administrator", install as Vista or Windows XP, etc.?

    As a long time user of Office 2000, what is the learning curve like in
    transitioning to Open Office?

    Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated.
    --
    Thank You,
    Richard

    On Sunday, January 03, 2010 12:18 AM
    Kerry Brown wrote:

    Open Office runs fine on Windows 7 x64.
    Open Office runs fine on Windows 7 x64. If you are an Office power user OO
    id probably not for you. For most people it is an excellent competitor to
    Microsoft Office. As it is free to try there is no downside to seeing if it
    works for you. Personally I am using Office 2010 beta which is also free for
    the beta period.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/default.aspx

    --
    Kerry Brown
    http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

    On Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:07 AM
    Richard wrote:

[...]

    I am using WLM for my email application with ISP email accounts and it seems
    to meet my email needs plus it allows me newsgroup access.
    When I had Office 2000, I needed Outlook for mail and Outlook Express for
    newsgroups.

    Since I have a number of Office 2000 and now Works 9.0 files, will I be able
    to convert ALL of them to Office 2010 without "major" complications?

    What are you seeing as the biggest improvements or sacrifices between Office
    2010 and Office 2000? It seems from monitoring various Microsoft newsgroups
    and communities that they tend to remove some functionality previously
    provided in their new applications and operating systems while adding some
    new functionality.

    Depending on the responses, I may just wait of Office 2010, provided that it
    is not too long of a wait. I dislike installing and uninstalling applications
    because it seems that you always leave behind debris form registry entries
    to useless folders. I am not "techie" enough to venture into the registry,
    (I have learned the hard way) and I have never found a "registry cleaner", free
    or paid, that I trust. I only have one computer and I do not want to risk
    doing things that require a complete system recovery to fix. I have been
    there, done that too many times. it is not fun and very time consuming.

    I hope that you do not mind all of the questions.
    --
    Thank You,
    Richard

    On Sunday, January 03, 2010 9:54 AM
    Dan wrote:

    Richard,You probably want to ask the OO related questions in an
    Richard,

    You probably want to ask the OO related questions in an OpenOffice
    forum. Something like http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/

    I have looked through your OO questions and found that what you want to do
    is most likely easily possible with OpenOffice.

    If you do not want to disturb your system, try OpenOffice Portable. Just
    install it into any path on your system. It will not change any registry
    entry. http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable
    You can later on delete the directory again.

    dan

    PS. I have actually "setup" a virtual portable drive on my pc with the
    command "subst p: c:\software\Portable"
    After that, I have a drive letter "P:\" in which I install all portable
    apps I use (including the http://portableapps.com/ platform). Then I
    synchronize the P: drive to my current USB stick to have it with me as
    well. OpenOffice runs either off that "virtual" P: drive, or directly
    from "C:\software\Portable\PortableApps\OpenOfficePortable". OO does not
    really care.

    On 03.01.2010 13:07, Richard wrote:

    Richard wrote:

    For what it is worth, I installed OpenOffice on my Win7 64-bit computer.
    It installed fine and everything seemed to work, however I missed my
    Office 2000 Professional, so I uninstalled OO and installed my Microsoft
    Office 2000. It works perfectly, and it is nice to have my "old friend"
    back. Honestly, I really only use Word and Power Point, but do dabble
    with Access and Excel.
    --
    TOM - Vista, CA - USA

    On Sunday, January 03, 2010 6:22 PM
    Richard wrote:

    Tom, thanks for your response. This is "potential" very good news for me.
    Tom, thanks for your response. This is "potential" very good news for me. I
    have a few questions before I jump in however.

    1. What, if any, compatibility mode did you use to install Office 2000
    Professional?

    2. Did you install via "run as administrator"?

    2. it is my understanding that Outlook will not work in Windows 7 64-bit.
    it is been so long since I installed Office 2000 Professional on my old
    system, I do not remember if you can elect not to install Outlook in the
    custom installation or not. Do you know if that is possible? I really do not
    need Outlook because I now use WLM and very satisfied with it.

    I will probably look at Office 2010 when it is released but in the meantime, I
    also miss the "old friend".
    --
    Thank You,
    Richard

    On Monday, January 04, 2010 7:45 AM
    Steve Foster wrote:

    Richard wrote:Yes, running it here.
    Richard wrote:

    Yes, running it here.

    Like any other installer, you will get a UAC prompt if you do not "Run As
    Administrator".

    For standard tasks, I expect that many would not even notice they'd
    changed application. it is high-level and expert users (who do things like
    learn keyboard shortcuts) that would be likely to be aware of the
    differences.

    --
    Steve Foster
    ------------
    Please reply only to the newsgroups.
    For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.: https://netshop.virtual-isp.net

    On Monday, January 04, 2010 7:56 AM
    Steve Foster wrote:

    Richard wrote:A new blank document has "Sheet1", "Sheet2" and "Sheet3" tabs,
    Richard wrote:

    A new blank document has "Sheet1", "Sheet2" and "Sheet3" tabs, just like
    Excel. Typing an "=" into a cell on Sheet2, I can then click on Sheet1 and
    select a cell, and go back to Sheet2, and it is added "Sheet1.A3" to the
    formula.

    There is a Headers & Footers section on the Edit menu, so I'd say probably.

    AFAICT, yes.

    http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6694

    (IOW, you will have to export it from Works to a "standard" format [eg DBF]
    to get it to OO)

    2010.

    They have not in the past, so probably not.

    As long as the files are in the latest format supported by those
    applications, or are saved to lowest-common-denominator formats (CSV,
    TXT), I would not expect much in the way of problems. You might get some
    reformatting going on, but that is about it.

    --
    Steve Foster
    ------------
    Please reply only to the newsgroups.
    For SSL Certificates, Domains, etc, visit.: https://netshop.virtual-isp.net

    On Monday, January 04, 2010 12:05 PM
    David Kerber wrote:

    ks says...
    ks says...

    I do not know about Outlook 2000, but Outlook 2003 32-bit works fine on
    Win7 Pro x64.

    On Friday, January 08, 2010 9:07 AM
    TOM7601 wrote:

    Richard wrote:I simply put in the CD and installed it.
    Richard wrote:

    I simply put in the CD and installed it. I do not remember if it asked
    about administrator mode, this step has become pretty automatic for me.

    It is not running in any "mode," it works as is, so to speak.

    I have not tried Outlook as I do not use it for my E-Mail.

    We have Office 2010 at work. I am discovering how to make it do things
    that were easy with Office 2000 (at home) and Office 2003 (at work). The
    change was done for company-wide compatibility, but you should have hard
    the complaints about not being able to make this or that work. it is
    simply a matter of getting used to a new product; it takes time.

    At the moment, I am in Safe Mode thanks to a dying hard drive... :<((
    --
    TOM - Vista, CA - USA

    Load Testing ASP.NET Applications with Visual Studio 2010
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...net-applications-with-visual-studio-2010.aspx

    nice get, Jul 11, 2010