Open Office 1.1.4 question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by geothermal, May 2, 2006.

  1. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    Hi All,

    I was looking through the help file of Open Office and
    I searched for the term "average" so I could figure out
    the average of a list of numbers. The help file says to click
    on Insert and then Statistics. But I see no such sub menu.

    Basically I have all my numbers going across in the first column.
    If I select all of the numbers I get this "A1:BY1", so it seems
    I need to add a formula with this in it in one of the blank cells.
    Anyone know how to do this ? I took an Excel class ten years ago
    and forgot how to do this calculation. (^:

    Thanks for any help.

    geothermal

    --
    "Blind charity sees only the need, not the cause."
    http://www.cafepress.com/jonmelusky7
    geothermal, May 2, 2006

  2. geothermal wrote:

    > I was looking through the help file of Open Office and I searched for
    > the term "average" so I could figure out the average of a list of
    > numbers. The help file says to click on Insert and then Statistics.
    > But I see no such sub menu.

    I have OOo 2.0 so can't compare menus and Help, though I did find
    Mathimatical Functions in the Help, which describe the below.

    > Basically I have all my numbers going across in the first column. If I
    > select all of the numbers I get this "A1:BY1", so it seems I need to
    > add a formula with this in it in one of the blank cells. Anyone know
    > how to do this ? I took an Excel class ten years ago and forgot how
    > to do this calculation. (^:

    Select the cell where you want the Average. In the formula bar, enter
    =AVERAGE(A1:BY1)
    and press enter.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 2, 2006

  3. geothermal

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 12:38:34 -0700, geothermal wrote:

    After reading 10 lines or your message, this is the spreadsheet you are
    using and not a calculation in another part of the app?

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I was looking through the help file of Open Office and
    >I searched for the term "average" so I could figure out
    >the average of a list of numbers. The help file says to click
    >on Insert and then Statistics. But I see no such sub menu.

    Upgrade to a newer version, read the OOo webpage and report the issue
    to the documentation team, check the errata yourself.

    >Basically I have all my numbers going across in the first column.
    >If I select all of the numbers I get this "A1:BY1", so it seems
    >I need to add a formula with this in it in one of the blank cells.
    >Anyone know how to do this ? I took an Excel class ten years ago
    >and forgot how to do this calculation. (^:

    Same as in Excel :)

    In the cell you want the average in,

    =AVERAGE( <move the mouse to select / type in the range> )

    There is also the Autopilot: Functions button, next to sigma on the
    toolbar.

    Seems you missed - Insert / Function and just below it is Function
    List.

    Me
    why?, May 2, 2006
  4. geothermal

    Gordon Guest

    geothermal wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was looking through the help file of Open Office

    Suggest you upgrade to 2.02 ASAP........1.1.4 is SO old.......
    Gordon, May 3, 2006
  5. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > geothermal wrote:
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>I was looking through the help file of Open Office

    > Suggest you upgrade to 2.02 ASAP........1.1.4 is SO old.......

    Good idea ! Thanks !

    geothermal, May 5, 2006
  6. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > geothermal wrote:
    >

    >>I was looking through the help file of Open Office and I searched for
    >>the term "average" so I could figure out the average of a list of
    >>numbers. The help file says to click on Insert and then Statistics.
    >>But I see no such sub menu.

    > I have OOo 2.0 so can't compare menus and Help, though I did find
    > Mathimatical Functions in the Help, which describe the below.
    >
    >>Basically I have all my numbers going across in the first column. If I
    >>select all of the numbers I get this "A1:BY1", so it seems I need to
    >>add a formula with this in it in one of the blank cells. Anyone know
    >>how to do this ? I took an Excel class ten years ago and forgot how
    >>to do this calculation. (^:

    > Select the cell where you want the Average. In the formula bar, enter
    > =AVERAGE(A1:BY1)
    > and press enter.

    Thank you very much ! At first attempt all I could see was #####, but
    I pulled the cell larger and the average showed up as readable.
    Thanks again ! (^:

    geothermal, May 5, 2006