Open HTTP Proxy - How do I close it?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by MandrakeUser, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. MandrakeUser

    MandrakeUser Guest

    Hi everyone.

    I'm running a mixed Windows desktop & Mandrake web/server network, and the
    network settings have been stable for months.

    One of my users just tried to post to Slashdot, but was refused with the
    following message:

    "Sorry, but according to our tests, you are trying to post from an open HTTP
    proxy. Please close the proxy or ask your sysadmin or ISP to do so, because
    open proxies are used to spam web boards like this one.

    If you have questions, mention that your proxy is at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on port
    80."

    The IP that I have xxx'ed out is the static IP of our ADSL router, which has
    port 80 forwarded to the Mandrake box.

    So now I'm worried.

    We've been able to post to /. many times before today, so why the change
    today?

    Has a hacker infiltrated our network and setup this "open proxy"?

    How do I test whether I really have such a thing?

    I tried googling, and while more informed of what an open proxy is, I don't
    really understand how to determine whether I really have one running.

    I ran this test

    http://ipid.shat.net/?ref=oprx , as recommended by
    http://www.openproxies.com/

    which says

    Proxy Information
    HTTP Forwarded For: [None]
    Proxy Connection: [None]
    Proxy Host/Type: [None]

    which implies I don't have a proxy.

    If I do have an open proxy, how do I close it?

    Can anyone help me further?

    Thanks for reading.
    MandrakeUser, Jun 7, 2004

  2. MandrakeUser

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 08:47:08 +1200, MandrakeUser wrote:

    > If you have questions, mention that your proxy is at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on
    > port 80."
    >
    > The IP that I have xxx'ed out is the static IP of our ADSL router, which
    > has port 80 forwarded to the Mandrake box.

    IMO, either there is something open on the router itself, or Slashdot is
    wrong. Maybe a transparent proxy at your ISP is confusing Slashdot?

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 7, 2004

  3. MandrakeUser

    MandrakeUser Guest

    MandrakeUser, Jun 8, 2004
  4. MandrakeUser

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:55:11 +1200, MandrakeUser wrote:

    > OK, a bit more googling has turned up this link:
    >
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&forumid=7&threadid=182762
    >
    > which says that the default setup for Apache on Mandrake 9.2 is open,
    > and provides a method to close it.
    >
    > I have followed those instructions to the letter, but /. still prevents
    > posts from our network. Any further ideas?

    If you don't have any 'pinholes' open in your router, your Mandrake Apache
    config shouldn't have any effect of what can be seen from outside.

    If you don't need incoming connections from the net (assuming they are
    actually open), close them in the router.

    If you do need them open, and you have reconfigured Apache correctly it
    might just take a while to get yourself off the list - either wait for the
    next refresh or contact Slashdot to fix it (yeah right).

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 8, 2004