    I hope to hear from anyone

    Regards
    Jaap

    Jaap Overman, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Jaap Overman

    Ionizer Guest

    "Jaap Overman" <> wrote in message
    news:db8dc$3ff13294$d549d71d$...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Question of a newbie in these newsgroups:
    > How do I open/save files from a newsgroup for example to get a mp3 song?

    It
    > has several files but how do I put them together?
    > Is there a special program for?

    Here's what you need to know, including software recommendations:
    http://www.mp3-faq.org/faq1.html Specialized binaries newsreaders
    (freeware) make the job easier than Outlook Express.

    HTH,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Jaap Overman

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:08:52 +0100, Jaap Overman wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Question of a newbie in these newsgroups:
    >How do I open/save files from a newsgroup for example to get a mp3 song? It
    >has several files but how do I put them together?
    >Is there a special program for?

    There are a number of encoding methods and file splitters used.
    Sometimes it helps to mention a file name / newsgroup / the newsgroup
    reader you use.

    Have a look through past posts in 24HSHD
    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk
    for WinRAR , yenc , uuencode, mp3 , video download , mastersplitter for
    the many other answers.

    Ripped from a often quoted - gangle post
    ===========
    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries:
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE5 or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
    You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
    the easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

    Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
    practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
    mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.
    ===========
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Jaap Overman

    gangle Guest

[...]

    yEnc is a type of binary to text encoding that has much
    less "overhead" than Uuencoded files.
    Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
    You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
    the easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

    Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
    practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
    mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.

    RAR files are (usually) large multimedia type of files (.avi,
    ..mpg, .mov, .rm, etc.) that have been archived and split into
    parts. You need WinRar to reassemble the archive and
    decompress it. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    (shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).

    "Jaap Overman" wrote

    gangle, Dec 30, 2003