    saved?

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Mike Lifshitz, Aug 1, 2005

  2. Mike Lifshitz uitte de volgende tekst op 1/08/2005 22:12:
    > By default Firefox prompts me to save an EXE file to disk. Open is not an
    > option. Is it possible for Firefox to allow EXE files to be run instead of
    > saved?

    It is a very conscious (and wise) design decision to make that
    impossible in Firefox.

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    Interesting websites:
    www.lieverleven.be (I cooperate)
    www.eu04.com European Referendum Campaign
    aouw.org The Art Of Urban Warfare

    Hendrik Maryns, Aug 1, 2005

  3. Hi Hendrik,

    I disagree that it should be impossible. Disabled by default, sure. I would
    only run an executable file from a site that I trusted. Since I no longer
    collect EXE files, I would rather run them and have them deleted from the
    temp folder by Windows than manage them myself.

    But thanks for the reply...I can stop looking now.

    Mike

    Mike Lifshitz, Aug 2, 2005
  4. Mike Lifshitz wrote:
    > Hi Hendrik,
    >
    > I disagree that it should be impossible. Disabled by default, sure. I would
    > only run an executable file from a site that I trusted. Since I no longer
    > collect EXE files, I would rather run them and have them deleted from the
    > temp folder by Windows than manage them myself.
    >
    > But thanks for the reply...I can stop looking now.

    Windows hardly ever deletes anything from the temp folder. It usually
    just lets it sit there and waste disk space. Why do you think there are
    so many "Windows Cleaner" programs around?

    Anyway, I know there are some extensions for Firefox that allow
    downloaded files to be autorun, but I don't know if any of them have an
    option to delete the file afterward.

    --
    Ryukage

    Damian Dollahite, Aug 2, 2005
  5. Mike Lifshitz

    Charani Guest

    On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 01:32:38 -0400, Mike Lifshitz wrote:

    > I disagree that it should be impossible. Disabled by default, sure. I would
    > only run an executable file from a site that I trusted. Since I no longer
    > collect EXE files, I would rather run them and have them deleted from the
    > temp folder by Windows than manage them myself.
    >
    > But thanks for the reply...I can stop looking now.

    Even .exe files from trusted sources can get infected. Far better to
    save, scan and install, than to end up with a PC rendered unusable
    through malware.

    Charani, Aug 2, 2005
  6. Mike Lifshitz

    meitak

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Um, you guys are being way too paranoid. If you know who you're downloading from and use some common sense, you're going to be safe for the most part. Not allowing opening of .exe's is a good idea for most people, but for some who know what they're doing, we don't need big brother making our lives more difficult. Auto-opening of .exe's should be an allowable option, disabled by default. Heck, even microsoft's browser lets us do this. I'm going to keep searching for an addon that allows this.

    meitak, Nov 20, 2006