    Jim Coffey

    Get Anonymous, Uncensored, Access to West and East Coast Server Farms!
    ----== Highest Retention and Completion Rates! HTTP://WWW.NEWSGROUPS.COM ==----

    Jim Coffey, Nov 26, 2005

  2. Jim Coffey wrote:
    > Since Thunderbird 1.0.7 pre-opens the e-mail how do you prevent
    > viruses, worm, etc. from entering your system?
    >
    > Is there an option to turn this off?
    >
    > Jim Coffey

    > Get Anonymous, Uncensored, Access to West and East Coast Server Farms!
    > ----== Highest Retention and Completion Rates! HTTP://WWW.NEWSGROUPS.COM ==----

    Tools>Account Settings>Server Settings Downloads when you tell it to
    check mail
    Virus software set to scan downloading e-mails

    Doug Chadduck, Nov 26, 2005

  3. Jim Coffey

    gwtc Guest

    Jim Coffey wrote:

    > Since Thunderbird 1.0.7 pre-opens the e-mail how do you prevent
    > viruses, worm, etc. from entering your system?
    >
    > Is there an option to turn this off?
    >
    > Jim Coffey

    Opening message will not infect you. The only way you'll get infected
    is when you open infected attachments. Or clicking on a link that
    takes you to an infected website.

    gwtc, Nov 26, 2005
  4. Jim Coffey

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 15:45:23 -0500, in message
     <>, Jim Coffey wrote:

    > Since Thunderbird 1.0.7 pre-opens the e-mail how do you prevent
    > viruses, worm, etc. from entering your system?

    Are these good enough for an Agent user?

    1. Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Privacy
    Ensure the following setting is not checked
    [ ] Enable JavaScript in mail messages

    2. View -> Message Body As -> Plain Text

    Then it will be similar to Agent (except that it will
    also convert and show HTML-only messages in plain text).

    > Is there an option to turn this off?

    You can close the message pane.
    • Drag the divider to the bottom;
    • or, "View -> Layout -> Message Pane";
    • or, press F8.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Nov 27, 2005
  5. "Opening message will not infect you. The only way you'll get infected
    is when you open infected attachments. Or clicking on a link that
    takes you to an infected website. "

    Well, not necessarily - Specially crafted messages can infect your pc
    even as the email program accesses it. But I suppose TB handles things
    differently than OutlookExpress!

    HackerOfMinds, Nov 27, 2005
  6. HackerOfMinds wrote:
    > "Opening message will not infect you. The only way you'll get infected
    > is when you open infected attachments. Or clicking on a link that
    > takes you to an infected website. "
    >
    > Well, not necessarily - Specially crafted messages can infect your pc
    > even as the email program accesses it. But I suppose TB handles things
    > differently than OutlookExpress!

    Opening a message will NOT infect you
    Nor will it with Outlook Express if you tell it not to open attachments
    automatically! The problem with OE (and Outlook for that matter) was
    that some early marks AUTOMATICALLY by default opened some attachments
    (specifically the .vbs kind), which has been corrected in the latest
    marks of the products anyway.

    So, with any current email program, opening a message CANNOT infect you
    with anything, period. Just dont open any attachments.

    Netscape, nor Mozilla (suite) and Thunderbird never opened any
    attachments automatically in any case, so yes, they do handle things
    differently. All warnings about opening mail and becoming infected were,
    if you read them, directed SOLELY against some early marks of Outlook
    and Outlook Express, and are quite dated actually.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 2, 2005
  7. Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 15:45:23 -0500, in message
    > Â <>, Jim Coffey wrote:

    >>Since Thunderbird 1.0.7 pre-opens the e-mail how do you prevent
    >>viruses, worm, etc. from entering your system?

    > Are these good enough for an Agent user?
    >
    > 1. Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Privacy
    > Ensure the following setting is not checked
    > [ ] Enable JavaScript in mail messages
    >
    > 2. View -> Message Body As -> Plain Text
    >
    > Then it will be similar to Agent (except that it will
    > also convert and show HTML-only messages in plain text).
    >

    >>Is there an option to turn this off?

    > You can close the message pane.
    > • Drag the divider to the bottom;
    > • or, "View -> Layout -> Message Pane";
    > • or, press F8.

    Name one virus or worm that infected a user via the use of Javascript?
    there are none.
    Name one virus or worm that infected a user via the use of HTML?
    there are none.

    Its quite simple.
    Dont open attachments to email! Thats it in a nutshell.
    Javascript and HTML dont contain viruses or worms, attachments do.

    By following the steps below, you are GUARANTEED not to be infected with
    a trojan, a worm, or a virus

    In email
    Dont open attachments
    IF you simply must open the attachment
    Quarantine it for a week
    Ask the person who sent it if they meant to send it and
    whats in it
    After a week, update your Anti-virus program
    Check the attachment, and open it

    With files (or downloads from the web)
    Dont open them
    IF you simply must open the file
    Download it to the desktop and quarantine it for a week
    Check around to see if there are any problems with the file
    or questions regarding the site it came from
    After a week, update your Anti-virus program
    Check the file, and open it

    Note: this includes running files from the web

    Use a firewall (router or software).

    the above precautions have kept everyone who has followed them virus
    free (no worms/exploits or trojans either) for years. Use of Java,
    Javascript and HTML is not impinged nor restricted.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 2, 2005