    --
    Free Open Source software - it's not just about better code, as important as
    that is. It's about better values, higher ethics.
    Bling Bling, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Bling Bling

    XP Guest

    XP, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Bling Bling

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:15:03 +1300, XP wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:29:21 +1300, Bling Bling <> wrote:
    >
    >>Let's gather support for the Open Document format.
    >>
    >>http://opendocumentfellowship.org/petition/

    > Does that include PDF..?

    Um...

    That's the Open Document file format - the same one as approved by one of
    the States of the USA - not the Portable Document format.

    But given that the PDF specification has already been fully published and
    promulgated, PDF has already received approval as a sufficiently-open file
    format.

    Bling Bling

    --
    Pamela Jones: "Linux will continue to grow, and open formats and standards
    will continue to be adopted in part because we don't trust Microsoft."
    Bling Bling, Oct 21, 2005
  4. Bling Bling

    Mercury Guest

    So we are writing software by petition now?

    How is MS supposed to verify that the petitioners are MS Office users? Where
    does the petitioner put the PID and how does MS verify the PID? How would MS
    know if the majority of the petitioners ever had MS Office, are linux users,
    or are fabricated?

    This sounds like such a lame way to raise what should be saleable virtues
    that should be self evident.

    This is going to backfire on the dimwit that thought the idea up. Its a joke
    right?

    If the virtues of the format are not [reasonably] self evident then this
    sounds like a perverted way to change other peoples ways.

    What are you going to do next? Stand on a street corner with a petition to
    make use of linux compulsory? Outlaw all patents? Remove all privacy? Remove
    all rights to earn a living from original thought unless it gets GPL'd
    first?

    Mercury, Oct 21, 2005
  5. Bling Bling

    steve Guest

    Bling Bling wrote:

    > Let's gather support for the Open Document format.
    >
    > http://opendocumentfellowship.org/petition/
    >

    > Bling Bling

    Done.

    Thanks!

    Closed source - owned - data forms for public use make as much sense as
    someone *owning* the idea of using pencil and paper to write things down.
    steve, Oct 21, 2005
  6. Bling Bling

    steve Guest

    Mercury wrote:

    > So we are writing software by petition now?

    No. Not even close.

    We are asking that an open and public file format used to store data for
    public use and public access - 'without let or hindrance" be ALSO
    supported.
    steve, Oct 21, 2005
  7. Bling Bling

    Mercury Guest

    bull.
    the site is soliciting unverified and unverifiable 'petitioners' to cause a
    software has to do what you choose. It is not responding to the "Challange"
    at all.

    Mercury, Oct 21, 2005
  8. Bling Bling

    Mercury Guest

    s/b house not has.

    Mercury, Oct 21, 2005
  9. Bling Bling

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:07:51 +1300, Mercury wrote:

    > s/b house not has.

    Dude you're not making sense.

    Bling Bling

    Bling Bling, Oct 21, 2005
  10. Bling Bling

    shannon Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    > bull.
    > the site is soliciting unverified and unverifiable 'petitioners' to cause a
    > software has to do what you choose. It is not responding to the "Challange"
    > at all.
    >
    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mercury wrote:
    >>

    >>>So we are writing software by petition now?

    >>No. Not even close.
    >>
    >>We are asking that an open and public file format used to store data for
    >>public use and public access - 'without let or hindrance" be ALSO
    >>supported.

    Its would be better for their competitors if they don't include support
    for the OASIS document format.
    Better for their users if they do.
    There have been some pretty big embarrassments caused by .doc documents
    being released with previous drafts and revisions visible.
    shannon, Oct 22, 2005
  11. Bling Bling

    Mercury Guest

    I am not against the principle at all, its the methodology and the severity
    of the flaws in it.
    Mercury, Oct 22, 2005
  12. Bling Bling

    shannon Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    > I am not against the principle at all, its the methodology and the severity
    > of the flaws in it.

    I agree, I think its ludicrous
    What is the problem with adding another document format to Office ?
    shannon, Oct 22, 2005
  13. Bling Bling

    Mercury Guest

    Why ask me? I didn't write the package.

    However, as a dev. I think I can appreciate the amount of work involved in
    a) writing it and b) optimising load times.

    Mercury, Oct 22, 2005
  14. Bling Bling

    -=rjh=- Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > There have been some pretty big embarrassments caused by .doc documents
    > being released with previous drafts and revisions visible.

    What stops the same thing from happening with ODF? Have you even looked
    inside an ODF archive? (Hint - its a zip file).
    -=rjh=-, Oct 22, 2005
  15. Bling Bling

    shannon Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    > Why ask me? I didn't write the package.

    It was rhetorical, I didn't expect an informed response.
    shannon, Oct 22, 2005
  16. Bling Bling

    Judges1318 Guest

    Bling Bling wrote:

    > Let's gather support for the Open Document format.
    >
    > http://opendocumentfellowship.org/petition/
    >

    > Bling Bling

    OK, shall do, but perhaps not really necessary.
    The Dom-Post today mentions that one of
    the Ministries is going open source.
    Was it Foreign affairs? Winston???

    Anyway, the big evil company will
    increasingly find that the only way to
    compete with the open source is that
    they change their disclaimer of responsibility
    to a guarantee of performance. Otherwise,
    there will be no reason to pay for the
    software.
    Judges1318, Oct 24, 2005
  17. Bling Bling

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:30:59 +1300, Judges1318 wrote:

    > The Dom-Post today mentions that one of
    > the Ministries is going open source.
    > Was it Foreign affairs? Winston???

    Do you have a URL for that article?

    I've just tried googling for it, based on your post, but I couldn't find
    anything about it, other than a very biased pro-proprietary article in
    the NBR.

    Bling Bling

    Bling Bling, Oct 24, 2005
  18. Bling Bling

    Judges1318 Guest

    Bling Bling wrote:

    >>The Dom-Post today mentions that one of
    >>the Ministries is going open source.
    >>Was it Foreign affairs? Winston???

    > Do you have a URL for that article?
    >
    > I've just tried googling for it, based on your post, but I couldn't find
    > anything about it, other than a very biased pro-proprietary article in
    > the NBR.

    Er, I have found the yesterday's papers and I have cut the article
    out, so I have it in print on paper. But then again, now I see
    there is a hot debate on this already on in another thread.

    Correction: according to the Dompost, it is the IRD that is
    trialling Linux on some 7000 machines. I suppose, if the taxmen
    can survive with Linux, the country can.

    God forbid that I be bashing Linux, yet I think (Free|Open)BSD
    might be a somewhat better choice.
    Judges1318, Oct 25, 2005
  19. Bling Bling

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:02:44 +1300, Judges1318 wrote:

    > God forbid that I be bashing Linux, yet I think (Free|Open)BSD
    > might be a somewhat better choice.

    I like FreeBSD, but I'm not convinced that it be suitable for a desktop
    box.

    I like GNU/Linux, and I am convinced that it be suitable for use on the
    desktop.

    Micro$oft Windoze? Suitable only for throwing in the rubbish - along with
    Micro$oft Office and Micro$oft Internet Explorer.

    Bling Bling

    --
    Joe Barr: "So the question is not 'Is Microsoft lying?' It's deeper than
    that. The real question is, 'Is Microsoft capable of honesty?' And if you
    Bling Bling, Oct 25, 2005
  20. Bling Bling

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:11:30 +1300, Bling Bling
    <> wrote:

    >I like FreeBSD, but I'm not convinced that it be suitable for a desktop
    >box.
    >
    >I like GNU/Linux, and I am convinced that it be suitable for use on the
    >desktop.

    Why be you talking like a pirate.
    Bret, Oct 25, 2005