Open Attachment Warning (Outlook Express 6)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John R. Baker, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. How do I "reset" Outlook Express 6 so that it asks for me to confirmation
    that I really want to open a particular attachment type, or save it the
    attachment to disk?

    Here are the details:

    When I click on the paperclip symbol in an Outlook Express 6 message, I am
    given the option of clicking on the attachment's file name, or "Save
    Attachments...".

    Then, if I choose to click on the attachment's fine name, one of two
    possible actions happens:

    1. An "Open Attachment Warning" box appears, asking for a confirmation
    whether I want to "open" it or "save to disk." In addition, there is a
    checkbox for "Always ask before opening this type of file."

    2. If the "Always ask before opening this type of file" checkbox has been
    previously selected, the confirmation window is skipped, and the attachment
    opens in the appropriate application.

    Now, Word documents (*.doc) open automatically instead of asking for a
    confirmation. Apparently the checkbox was inadvertently checked at some
    time in the past. How can I "uncheck" that box? Sure hope I don't need to
    go digging in the Registry!

    Other file types such as *.ppt, *.gif and *.jpg continue to ask for the
    confirmation, since the checkbox has not been selected for those filetypes.

    Thanks!

    --
    John R. Baker
    John R. Baker, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Thanks! That worked. I was looking in Outlook Express options, instead of
    Windows Explorer Folder Options.

    John R. Baker, Jul 22, 2003

  3. John R. Baker

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 23:16:48 GMT, in
    <Av_Sa.102930$>
    John R. Baker scrawled:

    >Thanks! That worked. I was looking in Outlook Express options,
    >instead of Windows Explorer Folder Options.
    >

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Folder Options / File Types. Scroll down to the type
    >> for .doc and check 'Confirm open after download'.
    >>

    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:40:51 GMT, in
    >> <6QTSa.102387$>
    >> John R. Baker scrawled:
    >>
    >> >How do I "reset" Outlook Express 6 so that it asks for me
    >> >to confirmation that I really want to open a particular
    >> >attachment type, or save it the attachment to disk?

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 22, 2003