OOXML Gets Final Nod

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Aug 16, 2008.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    OOXML Gets Final Nod After Standards Body Rejects Appeals

    http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/enterpriseapps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210100263

    "The International Organization for Standardization said Friday that it has
    formally rejected appeals to its decision earlier this year to ratify the
    Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT)-backed OOXML format as an international standard. The
    decision had been challenged by officials from Brazil, India, South Africa,
    and Venezuela, who claimed that the voting process was marred by
    irregularities. In a statement Friday, the ISO, along with counterparts at
    the International Electrotechnical Commission, said that none of the appeals
    'received the support for further processing'. For the appeals to have
    succeeded, two-thirds of members of the ISO and IEC's technical committees
    would have to have voted to further investigate them.

    "Office Open XML is the basis of the format that lies behind Microsoft's
    Office 2007 and Office for Mac 2008 desktop application suites. The ISO's
    initial approval of the format in April opened the door to its use in public
    agencies that require technology to conform to international standards. With
    the appeals rejected, the ISO said that OOXML can now proceed directly to
    final publication as an international standard...."
    impossible, Aug 16, 2008

  2. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Carnations" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:51:06 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Office Open XML is the basis of the format that lies behind Microsoft's
    >> Office 2007 and Office for Mac 2008 desktop application suites.

    > Actually that is not true.
    >
    > Neither of those versions of MS Office actually support Microsoft Office
    > Open XML - and won't do for quite some time yet.
    >
    > MS Office uses a much earlier version of those file formats that date to
    > a time before MS started to push for those formats to be standardized.

    Be that as it may, "Office Open XML is the basis of the format that lies
    behind Microsoft's Office 2007 and Office for Mac 2008 desktop application
    suites". And it will continue to be the basis of MS Office document formats
    for the forseeable. future. Users then who want both a world-class offcie
    suite and a global document standard will likely continue to choose MS
    Office.

    > And, of course, the push to standardize those file formats saw
    > considerable vote-rigging, and voting irregularities, and saw a ballot
    > resolution meeting that had to agree on considerably more than 1000
    > submissions that were pointing out inconsistencies with the proposed
    > standard.
    >
    > Also, in stead of taking the 4 national complaints seriously the ISO just
    > brushed it all under the carpet.

    So you lost -- get over it, CupaPee
    impossible, Aug 17, 2008

  3. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Carnations" <> wrote in message

    >>> Actually that is not true.
    >>>
    >>> Neither of those versions of MS Office actually support Microsoft Office
    >>> Open XML - and won't do for quite some time yet.
    >>>
    >>> MS Office uses a much earlier version of those file formats that date to
    >>> a time before MS started to push for those formats to be standardized.
    >>>

    >> Be that as it may, "Office Open XML is the basis of the format that lies
    >> behind Microsoft's Office 2007 and Office for Mac 2008 desktop
    >> application suites". And it will continue to be the basis of MS Office
    >> document formats for the forseeable. future. Users then who want both a
    >> world-class offcie suite and a global document standard will likely
    >> continue to choose MS Office.
    >>
    >>> And, of course, the push to standardize those file formats saw
    >>> considerable vote-rigging, and voting irregularities, and saw a ballot
    >>> resolution meeting that had to agree on considerably more than 1000
    >>> submissions that were pointing out inconsistencies with the proposed
    >>> standard.
    >>>
    >>> Also, in stead of taking the 4 national complaints seriously the ISO
    >>> just
    >>> brushed it all under the carpet.
    >>>

    >> So you lost -- get over it, CupaPee

    > We all "lost" including you...unless you work for MS and have shares
    > anyway...

    How's that? MS Office has long been the standard for office productivitry
    suites, and now it also provides a standard document format for those who
    need one. Doesn't get better than that.

    > The biggest point though is, even if it is an ISO standard I am not aware
    > that it has to be followed...so the objectors/decentors can actually
    > ignore it and go ODF....

    ODF has been an ISO standard for years and **no one** has paid any attention
    to that. So you're right. What standard anyone adopts it a matter of choice.
    The ODF Lobby was trying to limit your choice by getting governments to
    declare an ODF-or-nothing policy. But that won't happen now. ODF is
    absolutely dead in the water. Who would have it when they can can
    standardize on MS Office?

    > So all OSI and MS have done is make it obvious to many ppl that anyone can
    > be bought and any deal done and thats out in the open for all to see, I
    > think it will do MS more damage long run than good myself...

    Yeah, right. If there was real evidence of any impropriety, it would have
    come out long ago. All you've got is rumour and gossip spread by people who
    get paid to throw dirt at Microsoft. Good luck with that.
    impossible, Aug 17, 2008
  4. impossible

    "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "thing" <> wrote in message

    >>> We all "lost" including you...unless you work for MS and have shares
    >>> anyway...
    >>>

    >> How's that? MS Office has long been the standard for office
    >> productivitry
    >> suites, and now it also provides a standard document format for those who
    >> need one. Doesn't get better than that.
    >>
    >>> The biggest point though is, even if it is an ISO standard I am not
    >>> aware
    >>> that it has to be followed...so the objectors/decentors can actually
    >>> ignore it and go ODF....
    >>>

    >> ODF has been an ISO standard for years and **no one** has paid any
    >> attention
    >> to that. So you're right. What standard anyone adopts it a matter of
    >> choice.
    >> The ODF Lobby was trying to limit your choice by getting governments to
    >> declare an ODF-or-nothing policy. But that won't happen now. ODF is
    >> absolutely dead in the water. Who would have it when they can can
    >> standardize on MS Office?
    >>

    > Factually incorrect.

    Not at all.

    impossible, Aug 17, 2008
  5. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "thing" <> wrote in message

    >>> We all "lost" including you...unless you work for MS and have shares
    >>> anyway...
    >>>

    >> How's that? MS Office has long been the standard for office
    >> productivitry suites, and now it also provides a standard document format
    >> for those who need one. Doesn't get better than that.

    > Office is a proprietry "standard"...offered by a raptious company...better
    > is not a word I'd use.
    >
    >>> The biggest point though is, even if it is an ISO standard I am not
    >>> aware that it has to be followed...so the objectors/decentors can
    >>> actually ignore it and go ODF....
    >>>

    >> ODF has been an ISO standard for years and **no one** has paid any
    >> attention to that. So you're right. What standard anyone adopts it a
    >> matter of choice. The ODF Lobby was trying to limit your choice by
    >> getting governments to declare an ODF-or-nothing policy. But that won't
    >> happen now. ODF is absolutely dead in the water. Who would have it when
    >> they can can standardize on MS Office?
    >>
    >>> So all OSI and MS have done is make it obvious to many ppl that anyone
    >>> can be bought and any deal done and thats out in the open for all to
    >>> see, I think it will do MS more damage long run than good myself...
    >>>

    >> Yeah, right. If there was real evidence of any impropriety, it would have
    >> come out long ago. All you've got is rumour and gossip spread by people
    >> who get paid to throw dirt at Microsoft. Good luck with that.

    > DOJ....
    >
    > EU.....

    The (US) DOJ uses MS Office, yes. Not sure about the EU Commission, but
    probably.
    impossible, Aug 17, 2008