    Anywho, In order to avoid posting stupid questions about windows xp once my
    beautiful and powerful new system arrives, would any of you know of any
    sites to read up on?
    Dairy Queen, Jan 15, 2005

  2. Dairy Queen

    Aquanaut Guest

    http://www.blackviper.com/index.html
    Aquanaut, Jan 15, 2005

  3. Dairy Queen

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Aquanaut" <> wrote in message

    | "Dairy Queen" <> wrote in message
    | > I meant to add text to the last post... Forgive me, I'm tired.
    | > Anywho, In order to avoid posting stupid questions about windows xp once
    | my
    | > beautiful and powerful new system arrives, would any of you know of any
    | > sites to read up on?
    | >

    | http://www.blackviper.com/index.html

    I second that - great site. There are thousands of others.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 15, 2005
  4. Dairy Queen

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |I meant to add text to the last post... Forgive me, I'm tired.
    | Anywho, In order to avoid posting stupid questions about windows xp once
    my
    | beautiful and powerful new system arrives, would any of you know of any
    | sites to read up on?

    Most important thing to do FIRST FIRST FIRST is to get AV software installed
    and updated, then follow up with malware protection:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Ad-Aware SE
    SpywareBlaster
    Download each, update it, run it. Update and run each one about once a week,
    just like your anti-virus software. (If you go to www.download.com, you can
    get all three programs at one location.)

    Also, the new Microsoft AntiSpyware is worth a try.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 15, 2005
  5. Dairy Queen

    Aquanaut Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Dairy Queen" <> wrote in message
    > |I meant to add text to the last post... Forgive me, I'm tired.
    > | Anywho, In order to avoid posting stupid questions about windows xp once
    > my
    > | beautiful and powerful new system arrives, would any of you know of any
    > | sites to read up on?
    > |

    > Most important thing to do FIRST FIRST FIRST is to get AV software

    installed
    > and updated, then follow up with malware protection:
    >
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    > Ad-Aware SE
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    > SpywareBlaster
    > Download each, update it, run it. Update and run each one about once a

    week,
    > just like your anti-virus software. (If you go to www.download.com, you

    can
    > get all three programs at one location.)
    >
    > Also, the new Microsoft AntiSpyware is worth a try.

    The problem with a "more stable"OS is when it does fall over it does more
    damage.---suppose thats progress then!!
    Aquanaut, Jan 15, 2005
  6. Dairy Queen

    > What about Norton? My new puter has more memory etc than I'll know what

    > do with, so it being a hog is of no concern, but I keep reading all of the
    > negative posts and am getting kind of wary. Also my "neighborhood geek"
    > told me that with a dial up connection I don't need a firewall, is that
    > true?
    >
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Dairy Queen" <> wrote in message
    > > |I meant to add text to the last post... Forgive me, I'm tired.
    > > | Anywho, In order to avoid posting stupid questions about windows xp

    once
    > > my
    > > | beautiful and powerful new system arrives, would any of you know of

    any
    > > | sites to read up on?
    > > |

    > > Most important thing to do FIRST FIRST FIRST is to get AV software

    > installed
    > > and updated, then follow up with malware protection:
    > >
    > > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    > > Ad-Aware SE
    > > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    > > SpywareBlaster
    > > http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    > > Download each, update it, run it. Update and run each one about once a

    > week,
    > > just like your anti-virus software. (If you go to www.download.com, you

    > can
    > > get all three programs at one location.)
    > >
    > > Also, the new Microsoft AntiSpyware is worth a try.

    Norton---there is better,there is worse
    go with what you have -----would suggest you run the firewall at all times
    for your peace of mind.
    Aquanaut, Jan 15, 2005
  7. Dairy Queen

    Dairy Queen Guest

    thanks
    Dairy Queen, Jan 15, 2005
  8. Dairy Queen

    Dairy Queen Guest

    What about Norton? My new puter has more memory etc than I'll know what to

    Dairy Queen, Jan 15, 2005
  9. Dairy Queen

    Dairy Queen Guest

    is za a good enough one?

    Dairy Queen, Jan 15, 2005
  10. Dairy Queen

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I agree with Aquanaut - run the firewall even on dial-up. For instance, if
    you *do* get a trojan, it won't be able to phone home in the middle of the
    night on a 900 number running your phone bill into hundreds of $$. And if
    you have ZA running, it's fine, as long as you check the list of approved
    applications once in a while to be sure nothing is in the list that
    shouldn't be allowed to access the Internet.

    | is za a good enough one?
    |
    | "Aquanaut" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Dairy Queen" <> wrote in message
    | > > What about Norton? My new puter has more memory etc than I'll know
    what
    | > > do with, so it being a hog is of no concern, but I keep reading all of
    | the
    | > > negative posts and am getting kind of wary. Also my "neighborhood
    geek"
    | > > told me that with a dial up connection I don't need a firewall, is
    that
    | > > true?
    | > >
    | > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    | > once