Ooops - SD card won't format

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheNewsGuy(Mike), Apr 3, 2006.

  1. I have a 1GB SD card and a Nikon D50 - everything was great for a month
    or so - then when I turned on the camera it said "card was not
    formatted". I used the camera to format it - all was fine until a few
    hours later - not formatted - then it won't format at all in the camera.
    Yet from in a card reader on the computer I can read and transfer files.

    I think I did a bad thing a few weeks ago and erased images on the card
    from the computer, not the camera. I know that is a bad thing. Any
    advice as to getting the card formatted again? Since nothing was
    working with the camera reformatting the card I tried the computer and
    it formatted fine there, but the camera does not see it.

    I think D50 uses FAT16 and my version of Windows SE is FAT32 - is that
    the problem?

    I'll head back to the store in a few days to see if it is the card or
    the camera that is the problem.

    Thanks for any suggestions,

    Mike

    --
    Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
    California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l
    TheNewsGuy(Mike), Apr 3, 2006

  2. On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 19:01:15 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "TheNewsGuy(Mike)"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a 1GB SD card and a Nikon D50 - everything was great for a month
    >or so - then when I turned on the camera it said "card was not
    >formatted". I used the camera to format it - all was fine until a few
    >hours later - not formatted - then it won't format at all in the camera.
    > Yet from in a card reader on the computer I can read and transfer files.
    >
    >I think I did a bad thing a few weeks ago and erased images on the card
    >from the computer, not the camera. I know that is a bad thing.

    Baloney. I've done it for over 30,000 images on various CF and SD cards.
    using a card reader on multiple PCs.

    >Any advice as to getting the card formatted again?

    Verify the write protection switch isn't set and try formatting in the
    camera again.

    Since nothing was
    >working with the camera reformatting the card I tried the computer and
    >it formatted fine there, but the camera does not see it.
    >
    >I think D50 uses FAT16 and my version of Windows SE is FAT32 - is that
    >the problem?

    So try formatting FAT 16 on the PC.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Apr 3, 2006

  3. TheNewsGuy(Mike), Apr 3, 2006
  4. TheNewsGuy(Mike)

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <> wrote in message
    > Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    >> So try formatting FAT 16 on the PC.

    > How does one do that?
    >
    > Thanks

    There's a drop down list in winxp in the format dialog. Select fat. I doubt
    that's your problem, my Canon A95 will work equally well with fat16 or
    fat32.
    I think the problem is in your camera. You can download cw103.exe from
    PhotoRescue. This will wipe the card clean but I don't see why that would do
    any good (but won't do any harm either).
    I'm just guessing, but I would think formatting the card might entail a
    heavy power load, so make sure it isn't a battery problem. Hope it is,
    cheaper than a camera problem.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Apr 3, 2006
  5. TheNewsGuy(Mike)

    King Sardon Guest

    On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 19:01:15 -0400, "TheNewsGuy(Mike)"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a 1GB SD card and a Nikon D50 - everything was great for a month
    >or so - then when I turned on the camera it said "card was not
    >formatted". I used the camera to format it - all was fine until a few
    >hours later - not formatted - then it won't format at all in the camera.
    > Yet from in a card reader on the computer I can read and transfer files.
    >
    >I think I did a bad thing a few weeks ago and erased images on the card
    >from the computer, not the camera. I know that is a bad thing. Any
    >advice as to getting the card formatted again? Since nothing was
    >working with the camera reformatting the card I tried the computer and
    >it formatted fine there, but the camera does not see it.
    >
    >I think D50 uses FAT16 and my version of Windows SE is FAT32 - is that
    >the problem?
    >
    >I'll head back to the store in a few days to see if it is the card or
    >the camera that is the problem.
    >
    >Thanks for any suggestions,
    >
    >Mike

    Look for dirt or dust in the camera. Long shot maybe, but easy to fix
    if that's what it is...

    KS
    King Sardon, Apr 3, 2006
  6. TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
    > I have a 1GB SD card and a Nikon D50 - everything was great for a month
    > or so - then when I turned on the camera it said "card was not
    > formatted". I used the camera to format it - all was fine until a few
    > hours later - not formatted - then it won't format at all in the camera.
    > Yet from in a card reader on the computer I can read and transfer files.
    >
    > I think I did a bad thing a few weeks ago and erased images on the card
    > from the computer, not the camera. I know that is a bad thing. ...

    Thanks for the advice and suggestions posted here.

    Well, I took my camera back to Nikon Canada this morning (only 30
    minutes from home) and they took two minutes and checked the camera and
    it formatted and read their SD card fine. So I purchased a new card
    from Henry's and all is fine - it was not the camera.

    I will never use the computer to write, erase, format or "anything" to
    the SD card again. I used to have a CF card with my old Coolpix5700 and
    would erase and write to the disk all the time with no problems.

    But I blew this card. Luckily there were no images on it.

    TheNewsGuy(Mike), Apr 3, 2006
  7. TheNewsGuy(Mike)

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 12:29:37 -0400, "TheNewsGuy(Mike)"
    <> wrote:

    >TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
    >> I have a 1GB SD card and a Nikon D50 - everything was great for a month
    >> or so - then when I turned on the camera it said "card was not
    >> formatted". I used the camera to format it - all was fine until a few
    >> hours later - not formatted - then it won't format at all in the camera.
    >> Yet from in a card reader on the computer I can read and transfer files.
    >>
    >> I think I did a bad thing a few weeks ago and erased images on the card
    >> from the computer, not the camera. I know that is a bad thing. ...

    >Thanks for the advice and suggestions posted here.
    >
    >Well, I took my camera back to Nikon Canada this morning (only 30
    >minutes from home) and they took two minutes and checked the camera and
    >it formatted and read their SD card fine. So I purchased a new card
    >from Henry's and all is fine - it was not the camera.
    >
    >I will never use the computer to write, erase, format or "anything" to
    >the SD card again. I used to have a CF card with my old Coolpix5700 and
    > would erase and write to the disk all the time with no problems.
    >
    >But I blew this card. Luckily there were no images on it.

    To make you feel better...
    I seriously doubt you blew the card. Sometimes they just go bad.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Apr 3, 2006
  8. TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
    > TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 1GB SD card and a Nikon D50 - everything was great for a
    >> month or so - then when I turned on the camera it said "card was not
    >> formatted". I used the camera to format it - all was fine until a few
    >> hours later - not formatted - then it won't format at all in the
    >> camera. Yet from in a card reader on the computer I can read and
    >> transfer files.
    >>
    >> I think I did a bad thing a few weeks ago and erased images on the
    >> card from the computer, not the camera. I know that is a bad thing. ...

    > Thanks for the advice and suggestions posted here.
    >
    > Well, I took my camera back to Nikon Canada this morning (only 30
    > minutes from home) and they took two minutes and checked the camera and
    > it formatted and read their SD card fine. So I purchased a new card
    > from Henry's and all is fine - it was not the camera.
    >
    > I will never use the computer to write, erase, format or "anything" to
    > the SD card again. I used to have a CF card with my old Coolpix5700 and
    > would erase and write to the disk all the time with no problems.
    >
    > But I blew this card. Luckily there were no images on it.

    It's a cardinal rule. Do not format, delete, or modify the card's
    contents in any other device; do those only in the camera. Also, make
    sure that the camera's battery is well charged, as a low battery during
    any of the above could damage or delete your images. Of course, once you
    have your images copied onto a hard disk, you can then safely edit
    those. I burn images onto photo CD-Rs as a backup, as either the SAD
    card or the hard disk can run into trouble. Nothing is perfect, but
    there is some safety in numbers.

    Morton
    Morton Linder, Apr 3, 2006
  9. TheNewsGuy(Mike)

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:pZfYf.14$ Morton Linder <> wrote:

    > It's a cardinal rule. Do not format, delete, or modify the card's
    > contents in any other device; do those only in the camera.

    So much for standards, eh?

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Apr 3, 2006
  10. TheNewsGuy(Mike)

    John Bean Guest

    On 03 Apr 2006 21:00:07 GMT, Bert Hyman <>
    wrote:

    >In news:pZfYf.14$ Morton Linder <> wrote:
    >
    >> It's a cardinal rule. Do not format, delete, or modify the card's
    >> contents in any other device; do those only in the camera.

    >So much for standards, eh?

    The standards are fine. I have no hesitation doing
    *anything* to an SD card on a PC, and have done so without a
    single problem in many years and tens of thousands of
    images. I don't use the Microsoft formatter, I use the
    Panasonic SD formatter designed to be standards compliant,
    but afterwards I'm more than happy to copy and delete files
    in the card reader without worry of data loss.

    Most (all?) issues with data loss when deleting/modifying
    data using a card reader is down to the cards having a bad
    format to begin with.

    People can theorise all they want, I trust direct
    experience.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Apr 3, 2006