    Linux alternative to Aero interface in Vista:

    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak>

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Dec 23, 2006

  2. Don Hills

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > Linux alternative to Aero interface in Vista:
    >
    > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak>

    yes verry pretty but It did not make sence!

    mind you if the caveman was in a car doing 100kmph in the city at night
    would he have a clue?

    Robert Cooze, Dec 23, 2006

  3. Don Hills

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:16:37 +1200, (Don
    Hills) exclaimed:

    >Linux alternative to Aero interface in Vista:
    >
    ><http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak>

    Hardly an "alternative" to Aero.

    It is slow, unresponsive, buggy, and written in Java.

    Actually, it *does* sound like a typical Linux "alternative" to
    Windows technology.

    I'll stick with Aero thanks.
    Fred Dagg, Dec 23, 2006
  4. Don Hills

    Bobs Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > Linux alternative to Aero interface in Vista:
    >
    > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak>

    Looks average, and going by the comments, runs like a dog.

    Bobs, Dec 23, 2006
  5. Don Hills

    David Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > Linux alternative to Aero interface in Vista:
    >
    > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak>

    Framerate doesn't look very good. Have you tried Vista on decent hardware?
    Anyway, even if it looks flash its pretty useless. Give me alt+tab any day.
    David, Dec 23, 2006
  6. Don Hills

    steve Guest

    Don Hills wrote:

    > Linux alternative to Aero interface in Vista:
    >
    > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak>

    Sun has been working on "Looking Glass" for a while now. One suspects this
    may be one of the reasons why Vista was delayed for over a year.....which
    seemed to be just after the first betas of 'Looking Glass' became
    available.

    --
    Only boring people are bored.
    steve, Dec 25, 2006
  7. Don Hills

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 18:00:45 +1300, steve
    <> exclaimed:

    >Don Hills wrote:
    >
    >> Linux alternative to Aero interface in Vista:
    >>
    >> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak>

    >Sun has been working on "Looking Glass" for a while now. One suspects this
    >may be one of the reasons why Vista was delayed for over a year.....which
    >seemed to be just after the first betas of 'Looking Glass' became
    >available.

    I very, very, very much doubt it. I don't think I've seen a single
    independent review of Looking Glass that has said it's anything but
    slow, crappy, unresponsive, buggy, and pointless.
    Fred Dagg, Dec 25, 2006
  8. In message <>, Don Hills wrote:

    > Linux alternative to Aero interface in Vista:
    >
    > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak>

    Why not download it and try it for yourself
    <http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 25, 2006
  9. T'was the Mon, 25 Dec 2006 20:02:59 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    <> saying something like this:

    >I very, very, very much doubt it. I don't think I've seen a single
    >independent review of Looking Glass that has said it's anything but
    >slow, crappy, unresponsive, buggy, and pointless.

    I tried it a while ago. It's slow and buggy, but certainly not
    pointless. Exploring stuff within a 3D space I think is an interesting
    concept in the idea of human computer interaction.

    Nothing has killed a good idea more than instantly dismissing it.
    Without development, it's obviously not going to get better is it?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Dec 25, 2006
  10. Don Hills

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Mon, 25 Dec 2006 20:02:59 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> I very, very, very much doubt it. I don't think I've seen a single
    >> independent review of Looking Glass that has said it's anything but
    >> slow, crappy, unresponsive, buggy, and pointless.

    > I tried it a while ago. It's slow and buggy, but certainly not
    > pointless. Exploring stuff within a 3D space I think is an interesting
    > concept in the idea of human computer interaction.

    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/981115.html

    "Finally, entertainment applications and some educational interfaces can
    benefit from the fun and engaging nature of 3D, as evidenced by
    countless shoot-them-up games. Note that 3D works for games because the
    user does not want to accomplish any goals beyond being entertained. It
    would be trivial to design a better interface than DOOM if the goal was
    to kill the bad guys as quickly as possible: give me a 2D map of the
    area with icons for enemy troops and let me drop bombs on them by
    clicking the icons. Presto: game over in a few seconds and the good guys
    win every time. That's the design you want if you are the Pentagon, but
    it makes for a boring game."
    -=rjh=-, Dec 25, 2006
  11. T'was the Tue, 26 Dec 2006 08:39:28 +1300 when I remembered -=rjh=-
    <> saying something like this:

    >"Finally, entertainment applications and some educational interfaces can
    >benefit from the fun and engaging nature of 3D, as evidenced by
    >countless shoot-them-up games.

    I don't know if Looking Glass is the right way, but BumpTop
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK_WLVO-TgA I think is a smart move.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Dec 25, 2006
  12. Don Hills

    David Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Don Hills wrote:
    >
    >> Linux alternative to Aero interface in Vista:
    >>
    >> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak>

    > Why not download it and try it for yourself
    > <http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/>.

    Where's the download link on that page?
    David, Dec 26, 2006
  13. Don Hills

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <emo2l9$u99$>,
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >Why not download it and try it for yourself
    ><http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/>.

    It won't run on my machine. Too slow and wrong OS.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Dec 26, 2006
  14. In message <4590ac1c$>, David wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, Don Hills wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux alternative to Aero interface in Vista:
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak>

    >> Why not download it and try it for yourself
    >> <http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/>.

    > Where's the download link on that page?

    Follow the link to "Project Looking Glass Open Source Web site".
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 26, 2006
  15. In message <>, Don Hills wrote:

    > In article <emo2l9$u99$>,
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>Why not download it and try it for yourself
    >><http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/>.

    > It won't run on my machine. Too slow and wrong OS.

    Aren't you fed up of standing outside the toy-store window looking in?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 26, 2006
  16. Don Hills

    steve Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Tue, 26 Dec 2006 08:39:28 +1300 when I remembered -=rjh=-
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> "Finally, entertainment applications and some educational interfaces can
    >> benefit from the fun and engaging nature of 3D, as evidenced by
    >> countless shoot-them-up games.

    > I don't know if Looking Glass is the right way, but BumpTop
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK_WLVO-TgA I think is a smart move.

    Looking Glass would just be flat out COOL.....

    The desktop would become a dance and work might take on a rhythm.

    Bumptop looks cool, too. I subbed to the mailing list.

    Unlike some, I'm always up for a play with something new. Once you get
    used to it it might just be the best thing you've ever used.
    steve, Dec 26, 2006
  17. Don Hills

    Shane Guest

    Don Hills wrote:

    > And while they're away at Uni I'll build a housetruck, sell the house and
    > hit the road.

    Farkin hippy!

    --
    Fry: It's like a party in my mouth and everyone's throwing up.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Dec 26, 2006
  18. Don Hills

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <emqgme$9v1$>,
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >Aren't you fed up of standing outside the toy-store window looking in?

    I don't need any more toys. I don't have enough time to play with the ones
    I have already. And a faster computer wouldn't get my work done any faster
    and leave me more time to play, so I let my money earn money waiting for
    things worth spending it on. Things like putting my kids through university
    without them having to get student loans.

    And while they're away at Uni I'll build a housetruck, sell the house and
    hit the road. Sure fire way to make sure the kids "leave the nest" and don't
    move back in...

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Dec 26, 2006
  19. In message <>, Don Hills wrote:

    >In article <emqgme$9v1$>,
    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Don Hills wrote:

    >>>It won't run on my machine. Too slow and wrong OS.

    >>Aren't you fed up of standing outside the toy-store window looking in?

    >I don't need any more toys.

    Yet this one sufficiently piqued your interest to make you post about it.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 26, 2006
  20. Don Hills

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <emqr9n$stj$>,
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >Yet this one sufficiently piqued your interest to make you post about it.

    I said it was pretty. That's all. I didn't make any comment about its
    usability, or its speed on real-world hardware, or whether I'd want to use
    it if I could. Everyone else on the thread did that. There was very little
    comment on the actual aesthetics of the interface.

    I can look at a Rolex in a shop window and declare that it is pretty, but I
    have no desire to own one. Most people can appreciate the sound quality of a
    high-end audio system, but have no desire to spend that much money to get
    it. (I do.) Most people can appreciate the quality of a Porsche or BMW, but
    their Toyota does everything they want in a car.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Dec 26, 2006