    Thanks.

    --
    T. Denford.

    T. Denford, Mar 16, 2005

  2. T. Denford

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:04:16 +0000, T. Denford wrote:

    >Looking for some help please ... I'm trying to apply an auto filter on a
    >spreadsheet. I have selected Data | Filter | AutoFilter from the menu bar
    >and when I use the drop down in a column I would like to use a wildcard
    >(*). I have noticed that a Custom entry does not appear in the drop down as
    >it does in MS Excel.

    It does, it's almost exacly the same menu options. With beter filtering
    options.

    Excel, 2000 SR-2
    Data / Filter / Auto Filter , Select in the filter list (Custom...) /
    Use * to represent any series of characters.

    OOo 1.1.3

    Data / Filter / Advanced Filter
    More (shows more options)
    Select 'Regular Expressions', so many options.

    From the Help -

    Regular expression
    Allows you to use wildcards in the filter definition. For a list of the
    regular expressions that OpenOffice.org supports, click here.
    If the Regular Expressions check box is selected, you can also use EQUAL
    (=) and NOT EQUAL (<>) in the filter definition, as well as the
    functions: DCOUNTA, DGET, MATCH, COUNTIF, SUMIF, LOOKUP, VLOOKUP and
    HLOOKUP.

    Within in the above text - that OpenOffice.org supports, >click here<.

    *
    Represents any number of characters. For example, "Ab*c" finds "Ac",
    "Abc", "Abbc", "Abbbc", and so on.

    Just the same as Excel.

    Where Excel also had ? for any single char, use . instead and then is a
    page and a half more of filters.

    >Can someone advise what I'm doing wrong please?

    Not reading the Help file, maybe it was not clicking on help after -
    Data / Filter / Advanced Filter.

    Me

    why?, Mar 16, 2005

  3. T. Denford

    T. Denford Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:42:34 GMT, why? wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:04:16 +0000, T. Denford wrote:
    >
    >>Looking for some help please ... I'm trying to apply an auto filter on a
    >>spreadsheet. I have selected Data | Filter | AutoFilter from the menu bar
    >>and when I use the drop down in a column I would like to use a wildcard
    >>(*). I have noticed that a Custom entry does not appear in the drop down as
    >>it does in MS Excel.

    > It does, it's almost exacly the same menu options. With beter filtering
    > options.
    >
    > Excel, 2000 SR-2
    > Data / Filter / Auto Filter , Select in the filter list (Custom...) /
    > Use * to represent any series of characters.
    >

    > OOo 1.1.3
    >
    > Data / Filter / Advanced Filter
    > More (shows more options)
    > Select 'Regular Expressions', so many options.
    >
    > From the Help -
    >
    > Regular expression
    > Allows you to use wildcards in the filter definition. For a list of the
    > regular expressions that OpenOffice.org supports, click here.
    > If the Regular Expressions check box is selected, you can also use EQUAL
    > (=) and NOT EQUAL (<>) in the filter definition, as well as the
    > functions: DCOUNTA, DGET, MATCH, COUNTIF, SUMIF, LOOKUP, VLOOKUP and
    > HLOOKUP.
    >
    > Within in the above text - that OpenOffice.org supports, >click here<.
    >
    > *
    > Represents any number of characters. For example, "Ab*c" finds "Ac",
    > "Abc", "Abbc", "Abbbc", and so on.
    >

    > Just the same as Excel.
    >
    > Where Excel also had ? for any single char, use . instead and then is a
    > page and a half more of filters.
    >

    >>Can someone advise what I'm doing wrong please?

    > Not reading the Help file, maybe it was not clicking on help after -
    > Data / Filter / Advanced Filter.
    >

    > Me

    Thanks for that but I still can't figure out how to filter on columns :eek:(
    .... will have another look.

    Thanks anyway.

    --
    T. Denford.

    T. Denford, Mar 17, 2005
  4. T. Denford

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:01:55 +0000, T. Denford wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:42:34 GMT, why? wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:04:16 +0000, T. Denford wrote:
    >>
    >>>Looking for some help please ... I'm trying to apply an auto filter on a
    >>>spreadsheet. I have selected Data | Filter | AutoFilter from the menu bar
    >>>and when I use the drop down in a column I would like to use a wildcard
    >>>(*). I have noticed that a Custom entry does not appear in the drop down as
    >>>it does in MS Excel.

    >> It does, it's almost exacly the same menu options. With beter filtering
    >> options.
    >>
    >> Excel, 2000 SR-2
    >> Data / Filter / Auto Filter , Select in the filter list (Custom...) /
    >> Use * to represent any series of characters.
    >>

    >> OOo 1.1.3
    >>
    >> Data / Filter / Advanced Filter
    >> More (shows more options)
    >> Select 'Regular Expressions', so many options.

    <snip>

    >Thanks for that but I still can't figure out how to filter on columns :eek:(
    >... will have another look.

    So what's causing the problem?

    I put some data in a column in Excel, did a filter with *. Then I pasted
    the same data into OOo and in Advenced Filter , ticked regular
    expressions , used *.

    This gave the same results as Excel, for a very small data sample.

    Even if you skip the Advanced Filter / * bit can you get the basic Auto
    Filter to do the same thing in OOo as Excel?

    >Thanks anyway.

    YW.

    BTW what's OOo version 1.9.97, Some pre v2 beta?

    Me

    why?, Mar 17, 2005
  5. T. Denford

    T. Denford Guest