Onspeed: WARNING

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dongle_widget@yahoo.co.uk, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Onspeed sounded great. It got fabulous reviews and. So last Nov I
    signed up.

    I used it for a year on my dial-up connection. It did speed up some
    things, but overall it was a disappointment. Web pages loaded quicker
    if I chose to accept much reduced picture quality. Emails did not seem
    to download any faster. Overall it was decidedly <<unimpressive>>.

    So towards the end of my subscription year, I uninstalled it.

    I thought that was the end of it.....not so

    Today I received my credit card statement. It included £24.99 for a
    renewal to my onspeed subscription. I rang them. They pointed out that
    according to their conditions of service, renewal is AUTOMATIC unless
    actively cancelled. I had not realised that. They told me that they had
    sent an email about the renewal.....but I had originally provided them
    with an address that I use for online subscriptions etc is spam-proof
    in that I don't read it.....well, I check occasionall.!

    Worse still....they had billed me at a credit card that I had stopped
    using but had not cancelled ( I realise now that I should have done!)

    They agreed to refund me.....fine....once I had retreived my card
    details.

    They offer a 14-day refund. My credit card statement just happened to
    come 7 days after the billing date, so I was fortunate. It might have
    arrived after too late for me to cancel.

    I wonder just how many subscribers are caught out by this clause in the
    conditions of service...........see below

    So if you have it and don't want to continue, be sure to check the
    email account that you gave them.

    And if you don't have it ......well, read all the conditions of service
    before you sign up.

    Below is an extract from the email that they sent me. Note the 2nd
    sentence!

    Your ONSPEED account renews shortly. There is no action for you to
    take. Your card, provided when you initially purchased ONSPEED, will be
    charged on 01 Dec 2005. This is your renewal confirmation and receipt.

    If you want to charge your ONSPEED renewal to a different card, click
    here. If you change your card details, your ONSPEED renewal will be
    charged on this new card straight away.

    Please note: to cancel your automatic renewal, you must call ONSPEED.
    Requests via e-mail, fax or post will not be actioned.

    , Dec 7, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Onspeed sounded great. It got fabulous reviews and. So last Nov I

    <snip>

    You signed a contract that was automatically renewable if you didn't
    call to give notice. They were kind enough to let you out of it. What's
    the big deal?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 8, 2005

  3. <> wrote in message
    Onspeed sounded great. It got fabulous reviews and. So last Nov I
    signed up.

    I used it for a year on my dial-up connection. It did speed up some
    things, but overall it was a disappointment. Web pages loaded quicker
    if I chose to accept much reduced picture quality. Emails did not seem
    to download any faster. Overall it was decidedly <<unimpressive>>.

    Onspeed has always been 'snake oil'. Fortunately for them, there enough
    people out there who think you can get a pint in a quart glass.

    All onspeed does is reduce the quality to give the impression of a speed
    increase.

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Dec 8, 2005
  4. Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-07, <> wrote:

    snip

    > Today I received my credit card statement. It included £24.99 for a
    > renewal to my onspeed subscription. I rang them. They pointed out that
    > according to their conditions of service, renewal is AUTOMATIC unless
    > actively cancelled. I had not realised that. They told me that they had
    > sent an email about the renewal.....but I had originally provided them
    > with an address that I use for online subscriptions etc is spam-proof
    > in that I don't read it.....well, I check occasionall.!
    >
    > Worse still....they had billed me at a credit card that I had stopped
    > using but had not cancelled ( I realise now that I should have done!)
    >
    > They agreed to refund me.....fine....once I had retreived my card
    > details.

    snip

    So, there are two useful lessons you can learn from this experience:

    1) Always read the terms and conditions

    2) Always use an e-mail address you routinely read, when setting up
    financial contracts.

    I think Onspeed have been remarkably kind to you.

    Having said that, the best way to speed up web-browsing over a dial-up is
    to set your browser to not download images at all - you can always get any
    particular one you actually want to see. You may as well disable Java,
    plugins, and 'javascript', as well, by default. I don't know about all
    browsers, but this is easy to do with Opera.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 8, 2005