    Certainly reinforces a point I've made before, that it seems to be
    impossible for users of Microsoft software to get through an ordinary
    business day without contemplating piracy of some kind.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 1, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > <http://news.cnet.com/8301-19882_3-10302186-250.html>:
    >
    > I don't know why Microsoft attaches retail prices to it mainstream
    > software products, Windows and Office. You have to be a loser to pay
    > them. Even beyond the specials and promotions you may already know
    > about, there are other, restrictive programs for acquiring these apps.
    > Chances are the licenses won't let you use the software the way you
    > want, but given that enforcement on these licenses may be lax, they're
    > certainly tempting.
    >
    > Incitement to break the law?
    >
    > Certainly reinforces a point I've made before, that it seems to be
    > impossible for users of Microsoft software to get through an ordinary
    > business day without contemplating piracy of some kind.

    Apparantly I could get windows 7 free for download... if I was going a
    vaugely IT related degree, but since design isnt, I cant.

    Bugger it, will have to hope that someone I know gets given one at some
    MS product seminar and flicks it onto me like happened with vista...
    Richard, Sep 1, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    peterwn Guest

    On Sep 1, 3:32 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > <http://news.cnet.com/8301-19882_3-10302186-250.html>:
    >
    >     I don't know why Microsoft attaches retail prices to it mainstream
    >     software products, Windows and Office. You have to be a loser to pay
    >     them. Even beyond the specials and promotions you may already know
    >     about, there are other, restrictive programs for acquiring these apps.
    >     Chances are the licenses won't let you use the software the way you
    >     want, but given that enforcement on these licenses may be lax, they're
    >     certainly tempting.
    >
    > Incitement to break the law?
    >
    > Certainly reinforces a point I've made before, that it seems to be
    > impossible for users of Microsoft software to get through an ordinary
    > business day without contemplating piracy of some kind.

    It seems the only people forced to pay full sticker price are small-
    medium businesses and they have to accept the standard EULA and its
    obscene clauises. Govt and big biz can get steep discounts to deter
    them from going Linux / Open Office and are able to negotiate the EULA.
    peterwn, Sep 1, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Sep 1, 3:32 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> <http://news.cnet.com/8301-19882_3-10302186-250.html>:
    >>
    >> I don't know why Microsoft attaches retail prices to it mainstream
    >> software products, Windows and Office. You have to be a loser to pay
    >> them. Even beyond the specials and promotions you may already know
    >> about, there are other, restrictive programs for acquiring these apps.
    >> Chances are the licenses won't let you use the software the way you
    >> want, but given that enforcement on these licenses may be lax, they're
    >> certainly tempting.
    >>
    >> Incitement to break the law?
    >>
    >> Certainly reinforces a point I've made before, that it seems to be
    >> impossible for users of Microsoft software to get through an ordinary
    >> business day without contemplating piracy of some kind.

    > It seems the only people forced to pay full sticker price are small-
    > medium businesses and they have to accept the standard EULA and its
    > obscene clauises. Govt and big biz can get steep discounts to deter
    > them from going Linux / Open Office and are able to negotiate the EULA.

    Its volume licensing that has obscene clauses about letting them audit
    you and stuff like that. OEM and retail licenses dont try to put that
    sort of crap in them.
    Richard, Sep 1, 2009