Only see title bars in IE?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jess Fertudei, Nov 21, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I have IE5.5 running on my son's 98SE machine and it always seemed to run
    OK.

    Today it started not opening new pages completely ie: it only opens the blue
    title bar at the top. If I open 5 pages, I will only get 5 title bars on
    top of the first page I opened (which is opened completely). No amount of
    switching back and forth in the Toolbar will bring the pages to life,
    although the title above does change.

    At the same time the favorites lists has started scrolling **very** slowly.

    What I tried:

    I tried restarting

    Tried Virus update and scan

    Ran Spybot Search and Destroy

    Did a 'Repair Install' from Control Panel

    What am I missing here? It ran fine with many pages open simultaneously last
    week one day when I was using it for comparing some items I was shopping for
    and leaving a bazillion windows open at once.

    It's a K62+ @ 500 with 256M of RAM, so it isn't blazing, but ample for a
    small task like opening two pages at once.

    Any help appreciated!
    Jess Fertudei, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Jess Fertudei

    Thor Guest

    first of all update it to IE6. That alone may solve the problem.

    Thor, Nov 21, 2004

  3. Thanks, Thor

    That might seem like one option, I guess... but that machine takes some real
    abuse from the kid and I like having 98's scanreg/restore and IE repair
    tools and I think that IE 6 loses repair ability, doesn't it?

    At any rate... he somehow shrunk a window clear to the size of the title bar
    and after I strectched it and maximized it I did the shift close and it
    seems to be fixed. I'll just never understand how he or his Mom do some of
    these sort of things (how *does* one shrink a window completely?).

    Thanks again for replying.

    Jess Fertudei, Nov 22, 2004
  4. Jess Fertudei

    Thor Guest

    > Thanks, Thor
    >
    > That might seem like one option, I guess... but that machine takes some
    > real
    > abuse from the kid and I like having 98's scanreg/restore and IE repair
    > tools and I think that IE 6 loses repair ability, doesn't it?

    no, you'll still have it. You only lose it if you get IE bundled with a
    service pack (such as XP Sp1, or Sp2) or when it's the version of IE that
    came with your version of windows. Whenever you install IE as a separate
    installation, you get the repair option. I just wish MS was consistent about
    that feature because it can be very useful.
    Thor, Nov 22, 2004