only part of hard drive space showing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert Bradshaw, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. How can i fix this? I recently reinstalled windows and did a quick
    format on the hard drive (60gb hard drive) but all I can use is 32gb of it.

    What have I done wrong? Can I fix it without a reinstall?

    Screenshot of my problem:

    http://maikato.orcon.net.nz/hdd.jpg

    I've tried using partition magic 7 to try and free up an unallocated
    free space but the only partition I could see was the 32gb one.

    any ideas?

    win xp pro
     
    Robert Bradshaw, Feb 10, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Robert Bradshaw" <> wrote in message
    news:N_0Wb.22958$...
    > How can i fix this? I recently reinstalled windows and did a quick
    > format on the hard drive (60gb hard drive) but all I can use is 32gb of

    it.
    >
    > What have I done wrong? Can I fix it without a reinstall?
    >
    > Screenshot of my problem:
    >
    > http://maikato.orcon.net.nz/hdd.jpg
    >
    > I've tried using partition magic 7 to try and free up an unallocated
    > free space but the only partition I could see was the 32gb one.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > win xp pro


    Did you format it as fat 32 or NTFS???
    Gaz
     
    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Feb 10, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <> wrote in
    message news:c0a6um$149923$-berlin.de...
    >
    > "Robert Bradshaw" <> wrote in message
    > news:N_0Wb.22958$...
    > > How can i fix this? I recently reinstalled windows and did a quick
    > > format on the hard drive (60gb hard drive) but all I can use is 32gb of

    > it.
    > >
    > > What have I done wrong? Can I fix it without a reinstall?
    > >
    > > Screenshot of my problem:
    > >
    > > http://maikato.orcon.net.nz/hdd.jpg
    > >
    > > I've tried using partition magic 7 to try and free up an unallocated
    > > free space but the only partition I could see was the 32gb one.
    > >
    > > any ideas?
    > >
    > > win xp pro

    >


    Forgot to say.
    Have you tried flashing your bios to the latest version??
    This page has other info on your problem to.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65468
    Have you checked the back of the drive, as most hard drivers have a jumper
    that sets a 32gig cap on the drive.

    Gaz
     
    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Feb 10, 2004
    #3
  4. Robert Bradshaw

    Patrick Guest

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else. wrote:
    > "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <> wrote in
    > message news:c0a6um$149923$-berlin.de...
    >>
    >> "Robert Bradshaw" <> wrote in message
    >> news:N_0Wb.22958$...
    >>> How can i fix this? I recently reinstalled windows and did a quick
    >>> format on the hard drive (60gb hard drive) but all I can use is
    >>> 32gb of it.
    >>>
    >>> What have I done wrong? Can I fix it without a reinstall?
    >>>
    >>> Screenshot of my problem:
    >>>
    >>> http://maikato.orcon.net.nz/hdd.jpg
    >>>
    >>> I've tried using partition magic 7 to try and free up an unallocated
    >>> free space but the only partition I could see was the 32gb one.
    >>>
    >>> any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> win xp pro

    >>

    >
    > Forgot to say.
    > Have you tried flashing your bios to the latest version??
    > This page has other info on your problem to.
    > http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65468
    > Have you checked the back of the drive, as most hard drivers have a
    > jumper that sets a 32gig cap on the drive.
    >
    > Gaz


    I can't see the OP, but here is a picture of the drive (jumper pins) that
    shows that if pins 1 & 2 are connected, then it will be limited to 32GB.
    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st360021a.html
     
    Patrick, Feb 10, 2004
    #4
  5. Robert Bradshaw

    °Mike° Guest

    You cannot format a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB
    with the Windows XP setup routine. Either partition
    the drive, using a 98 bootup floppy, or use NTFS.

    How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to
    Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=255867


    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:54:06 +1300, in
    <N_0Wb.22958$>
    Robert Bradshaw scrawled:

    >How can i fix this? I recently reinstalled windows and did a quick
    >format on the hard drive (60gb hard drive) but all I can use is 32gb of it.
    >
    >What have I done wrong? Can I fix it without a reinstall?
    >
    >Screenshot of my problem:
    >
    >http://maikato.orcon.net.nz/hdd.jpg
    >
    >I've tried using partition magic 7 to try and free up an unallocated
    >free space but the only partition I could see was the 32gb one.
    >
    >any ideas?
    >
    >win xp pro


    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
     
    °Mike°, Feb 10, 2004
    #5
  6. Patrick wrote:
    > Gareth not NLL or anybody else. wrote:
    >
    >>"Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <> wrote in
    >>message news:c0a6um$149923$-berlin.de...
    >>
    >>>"Robert Bradshaw" <> wrote in message
    >>>news:N_0Wb.22958$...
    >>>
    >>>>How can i fix this? I recently reinstalled windows and did a quick
    >>>>format on the hard drive (60gb hard drive) but all I can use is
    >>>>32gb of it.
    >>>>
    >>>>What have I done wrong? Can I fix it without a reinstall?
    >>>>
    >>>>Screenshot of my problem:
    >>>>
    >>>>http://maikato.orcon.net.nz/hdd.jpg
    >>>>
    >>>>I've tried using partition magic 7 to try and free up an unallocated
    >>>>free space but the only partition I could see was the 32gb one.
    >>>>
    >>>>any ideas?
    >>>>
    >>>>win xp pro
    >>>

    >>Forgot to say.
    >>Have you tried flashing your bios to the latest version??
    >>This page has other info on your problem to.
    >>http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65468
    >>Have you checked the back of the drive, as most hard drivers have a
    >>jumper that sets a 32gig cap on the drive.
    >>
    >>Gaz

    >
    >
    > I can't see the OP, but here is a picture of the drive (jumper pins) that
    > shows that if pins 1 & 2 are connected, then it will be limited to 32GB.
    > http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st360021a.html
    >
    >





    Thanks guys that was exactly what I had done thinking I had set it as
    master without checking the label :p (opposite sides)

    Thanks again for all the quick responses.

    Robert
     
    Robert Bradshaw, Feb 11, 2004
    #6
  7. Robert Bradshaw

    tterry Guest

    Did you choose FAT as the file system? Choose NTFS instead if you did...

    Robert Bradshaw wrote:

    > Patrick wrote:
    >
    >> Gareth not NLL or anybody else. wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <> wrote in
    >>> message news:c0a6um$149923$-berlin.de...
    >>>
    >>>> "Robert Bradshaw" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:N_0Wb.22958$...
    >>>>
    >>>>> How can i fix this? I recently reinstalled windows and did a quick
    >>>>> format on the hard drive (60gb hard drive) but all I can use is
    >>>>> 32gb of it.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> What have I done wrong? Can I fix it without a reinstall?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Screenshot of my problem:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> http://maikato.orcon.net.nz/hdd.jpg
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I've tried using partition magic 7 to try and free up an unallocated
    >>>>> free space but the only partition I could see was the 32gb one.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> any ideas?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> win xp pro
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Forgot to say.
    >>> Have you tried flashing your bios to the latest version??
    >>> This page has other info on your problem to.
    >>> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65468
    >>> Have you checked the back of the drive, as most hard drivers have a
    >>> jumper that sets a 32gig cap on the drive.
    >>>
    >>> Gaz

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I can't see the OP, but here is a picture of the drive (jumper pins) that
    >> shows that if pins 1 & 2 are connected, then it will be limited to 32GB.
    >> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st360021a.html
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks guys that was exactly what I had done thinking I had set it as
    > master without checking the label :p (opposite sides)
    >
    > Thanks again for all the quick responses.
    >
    > Robert
     
    tterry, Feb 11, 2004
    #7
  8. tterry wrote:

    > Did you choose FAT as the file system? Choose NTFS instead if you did...
    >

    <snip>


    Nope I had it on NTFS, just had a jumper on the HDD in the wrong place.

    Cheers,
    Robert
     
    Robert Bradshaw, Feb 12, 2004
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ProStart241

    Only have 2.1 gig showing on 6gig drive

    ProStart241, Dec 28, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    639
    philo
    Dec 28, 2004
  2. ProStart241

    Only have 2.1 gig showing on 6gig drive

    ProStart241, Dec 28, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    453
    Ingeborg
    Dec 28, 2004
  3. Dave in WA
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,338
    booser
    Sep 6, 2004
  4. Derek

    Hard Drive not showing all free space

    Derek, Feb 5, 2007, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,295
    Derek
    Feb 5, 2007
  5. jollyjimpoppy

    Easy part done, now the hard part!!

    jollyjimpoppy, Sep 10, 2003, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    442
    jollyjimpoppy
    Sep 10, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page