    I was running firefox and I clicked the firefiox.exe firefox would not
    open again but maximize the open already, or at least not open another one.

    Thanks

    GioV, Jul 29, 2006

  2. GioV

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 07/29/2006 08:20 AM, GioV wrote:
    > hello, can anyone tell me if theres an option or extension
    > that I can use to now allow Firefox to run more than one
    > instance. For instance if I was running firefox and I
    > clicked the firefiox.exe firefox would not open again but
    > maximize the open already, or at least not open another
    > one.
    >
    > Thanks

    First, you can create a new Firefox (Fx) window by selecting
    File/New Window.

    Or, if you really need another instance with allow new
    settings, you can create a separate profile by typing "firefox
    -p" into the windows command prompt; follow the on-screen
    instructions to create the profile.

    And I surely hope you've discovered Fx's tabbed browsing.
    Create a new tab in a Fx window by selecting File/New Tab.

    HTH

    Mumia W., Jul 29, 2006

  3. GioV

    GioV Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > On 07/29/2006 08:20 AM, GioV wrote:
    >> hello, can anyone tell me if theres an option or extension
    >> that I can use to now allow Firefox to run more than one
    >> instance. For instance if I was running firefox and I
    >> clicked the firefiox.exe firefox would not open again but
    >> maximize the open already, or at least not open another
    >> one.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > First, you can create a new Firefox (Fx) window by selecting
    > File/New Window.
    >
    > Or, if you really need another instance with allow new
    > settings, you can create a separate profile by typing "firefox
    > -p" into the windows command prompt; follow the on-screen
    > instructions to create the profile.
    >
    > And I surely hope you've discovered Fx's tabbed browsing.
    > Create a new tab in a Fx window by selecting File/New Tab.
    >
    > HTH

    Im sorry there was a typo and I meant I dont want other instance of
    firefox running when I have one open already. Maybe like a pop up or
    something that says or asks that theres already one instance of firefox
    open already. I know opera has this option but i cant find it anywhere
    in firefox.

    GioV, Jul 29, 2006
  4. GioV

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 07/29/2006 10:49 AM, GioV wrote:

    > Im sorry there was a typo and I meant I dont want other
    > instance of firefox running when I have one open already.
    > Maybe like a pop up or something that says or asks that
    > theres already one instance of firefox open already. I know
    > opera has this option but i cant find it anywhere in
    > firefox.

    I don't understand.

    Mumia W., Jul 29, 2006
  5. Mumia W. wrote:
    > On 07/29/2006 10:49 AM, GioV wrote:
    >>
    >> Im sorry there was a typo and I meant I dont want other
    >> instance of firefox running when I have one open already.
    >> Maybe like a pop up or something that says or asks that
    >> theres already one instance of firefox open already. I know
    >> opera has this option but i cant find it anywhere in
    >> firefox.

    > I don't understand.

    Firefox will only open one at a time.

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 29, 2006
  6. GioV

    GioV Guest

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:
    >> On 07/29/2006 10:49 AM, GioV wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Im sorry there was a typo and I meant I dont want other
    >>> instance of firefox running when I have one open already.
    >>> Maybe like a pop up or something that says or asks that
    >>> theres already one instance of firefox open already. I know
    >>> opera has this option but i cant find it anywhere in
    >>> firefox.

    >> I don't understand.
    >>

    > Firefox will only open one at a time.

    ok if i click my mozilla firefox.exe file on my desktop mozilla opens up
    on my taskbar, if i open another one up it also opens another firefox
    on my taskbar. I can keep opening up new mozilla instances on my
    taskbar.. I dont want firefox to open a new instance.. I want firefox to
    only allow one instance.. let me show u a pic of what i mean.

    http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3138/image1mc2.jpg

    hope that helps
    thanks

    GioV, Jul 30, 2006
  7. GioV wrote:
    > Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Mumia W. wrote:

    >>> I don't understand.
    >>>

    >> Firefox will only open one at a time.

    > ok if i click my mozilla firefox.exe file on my desktop mozilla opens up
    > on my taskbar, if i open another one up it also opens another firefox
    > on my taskbar. I can keep opening up new mozilla instances on my
    > taskbar.. I dont want firefox to open a new instance.. I want firefox to
    > only allow one instance.. let me show u a pic of what i mean.
    >
    > http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3138/image1mc2.jpg
    >
    > hope that helps
    > thanks

    Those are not new instances of the program, they are simply different
    pages of it.

    If you dont want that then

    [Tools-->Options]*-->Tabs
    Open links form other applications in:

    0 the most recent tab/window

    X Force links that open new windows to open in:

    0 the same tab/window as the link

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 30, 2006
  8. GioV

    GioV Guest

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > GioV wrote:
    >> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> Firefox will only open one at a time.

    >> ok if i click my mozilla firefox.exe file on my desktop mozilla opens
    >> up on my taskbar, if i open another one up it also opens another
    >> firefox on my taskbar. I can keep opening up new mozilla instances on
    >> my taskbar.. I dont want firefox to open a new instance.. I want
    >> firefox to only allow one instance.. let me show u a pic of what i mean.
    >>
    >> http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3138/image1mc2.jpg
    >>
    >> hope that helps
    >> thanks

    > Those are not new instances of the program, they are simply different
    > pages of it.
    >
    > If you dont want that then
    >
    > [Tools-->Options]*-->Tabs
    > Open links form other applications in:
    >
    > 0 the most recent tab/window
    >
    > X Force links that open new windows to open in:
    >
    > 0 the same tab/window as the link

    That was already checked off, I dont mean links , I mean when u run
    firefox it will load a new window for every time u start it.. so if I
    open firefox 10 times via my desktop shortcut, ten windows will pop on
    my taskbar like the picture, what u are talking about is links, my links
    /tabs work great. Its just I have firefox on minimize to tray and when I
    click my shortcut either by mistake cuz i forgot it was open already or
    on purpose, it opens another firefox window instead of opening the one
    thats already running in my tray, or at least warn me that theres
    another copy of firefox running already. Also the one running has all
    the tabs that I am currently looking and the new one that opens only on
    loads my home page.

    Thanks a lot for ur help anyways , but i dont think theres a solution :-(

    GioV, Jul 30, 2006
  9. GioV

    Olgierd Guest

    *Mozilla Champion (Dan)* wrote:

    > Those are not new instances of the program, they are simply different
    > pages of it.
    >
    > If you dont want that then

    I'd rather use Tab Mix Plus extension in Single Window mode.

    --
    pozdrawiam serdecznie, Olgierd
    ||| JID:eek: ||| http://olgierd.wordpress.com |||

    Olgierd, Jul 30, 2006
  10. GioV

    SteveG Guest

    GioV wrote:
    > Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> GioV wrote:

    >>> ok if i click my mozilla firefox.exe file on my desktop mozilla opens
    >>> up on my taskbar, if i open another one up it also opens another
    >>> firefox on my taskbar. I can keep opening up new mozilla instances on
    >>> my taskbar.. I dont want firefox to open a new instance.. I want
    >>> firefox to only allow one instance.. let me show u a pic of what i mean.
    >>>
    >>> http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3138/image1mc2.jpg
    >>>
    >>> hope that helps
    >>> thanks

    >> Those are not new instances of the program, they are simply different
    >> pages of it.
    >>
    >> If you dont want that then
    >>
    >> [Tools-->Options]*-->Tabs
    >> Open links form other applications in:
    >>
    >> 0 the most recent tab/window
    >>
    >> X Force links that open new windows to open in:
    >>
    >> 0 the same tab/window as the link
    >>

    > That was already checked off, I dont mean links , I mean when u run
    > firefox it will load a new window for every time u start it.. so if I
    > open firefox 10 times via my desktop shortcut, ten windows will pop on
    > my taskbar like the picture, what u are talking about is links, my links
    > /tabs work great. Its just I have firefox on minimize to tray and when I
    > click my shortcut either by mistake cuz i forgot it was open already or
    > on purpose, it opens another firefox window instead of opening the one
    > thats already running in my tray, or at least warn me that theres
    > another copy of firefox running already. Also the one running has all
    > the tabs that I am currently looking and the new one that opens only on
    > loads my home page.
    >

    > Thanks a lot for ur help anyways , but i dont think theres a solution :-(

    Hi Giov, I've been following this thread with a little interest because
    I thought that Firefox would only open one instance of the program. I
    see, however, that by clicking the FF icon it will open as many
    instances as you like.

    Just out of curiosity - I don't have a solution for this - which version
    are you running? I'm just wondering if this is something that has
    changed with the latest version.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Jul 30, 2006
  11. On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:49:58 +0200, Olgierd <>
    wrote:

    > I'd rather use Tab Mix Plus extension in Single Window mode.

    That still does not prevent Firefox from opening a separate browser for
    each time someone clicks on the desktop Firefox icon. I've also accidently
    clicked the icon by mistake when the program was already open. Instead of
    just bringing the already running program to the foreground, it opens up a
    whole new Firefox in addition to what was already open. It can be mildly
    annoying. It is definitely multiple instances, as they show up as separate
    entries in the task manager.

    All the extension seems to do is control where website links, and links
    passed from other programs, will open. That's a completely different thing
    than clicking on the Firefox icon on the desktop. All of my links already
    open in new tabs, just as I prefer.

    If no copy of Firefox is already open, clicking the desktop icon should
    open Firefox. Otherwise, if any copy of Firefox is currently open, then it
    should just bring that currently open browser to the foreground.
    --
    FoxWolfie

    FoxWolfie Galen, Jul 30, 2006
  12. GioV

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 07/29/2006 10:00 PM, GioV wrote:

    > [...]
    > I mean when u run firefox it will load a new window for
    > every time u start it.. so if I open firefox 10 times via
    > my desktop shortcut, ten windows will pop on my taskbar
    > like the picture [...]
    >
    > Thanks a lot for ur help anyways , but i dont think theres
    > a solution :-(

    There is no option, but there is a way :)

    If you start Fx with an address to display, it'll use the
    currently displayed instance to display that page, so modify
    the Fx shortcut to display a home page you like, and you're set.

    Mumia W., Jul 30, 2006
  13. GioV

    GioV Guest

    SteveG wrote:
    > GioV wrote:
    >> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> Those are not new instances of the program, they are simply different
    >>> pages of it.
    >>>
    >>> If you dont want that then
    >>>
    >>> [Tools-->Options]*-->Tabs
    >>> Open links form other applications in:
    >>>
    >>> 0 the most recent tab/window
    >>>
    >>> X Force links that open new windows to open in:
    >>>
    >>> 0 the same tab/window as the link
    >>>

    >> That was already checked off, I dont mean links , I mean when u run
    >> firefox it will load a new window for every time u start it.. so if I
    >> open firefox 10 times via my desktop shortcut, ten windows will pop on
    >> my taskbar like the picture, what u are talking about is links, my
    >> links /tabs work great. Its just I have firefox on minimize to tray
    >> and when I click my shortcut either by mistake cuz i forgot it was
    >> open already or on purpose, it opens another firefox window instead of
    >> opening the one thats already running in my tray, or at least warn me
    >> that theres another copy of firefox running already. Also the one
    >> running has all the tabs that I am currently looking and the new one
    >> that opens only on loads my home page.
    >>

    >> Thanks a lot for ur help anyways , but i dont think theres a solution :-(

    > Hi Giov, I've been following this thread with a little interest because
    > I thought that Firefox would only open one instance of the program. I
    > see, however, that by clicking the FF icon it will open as many
    > instances as you like.
    >
    > Just out of curiosity - I don't have a solution for this - which version
    > are you running? I'm just wondering if this is something that has
    > changed with the latest version.

    1.5.05 and the tab mix plus option enable single window mode worked like
    a charm. thanks

    GioV, Jul 30, 2006
  14. GioV

    GioV Guest

    Olgierd wrote:
    > *Mozilla Champion (Dan)* wrote:
    >
    >> Those are not new instances of the program, they are simply different
    >> pages of it.
    >>
    >> If you dont want that then

    > I'd rather use Tab Mix Plus extension in Single Window mode.

    Thanks Olgierd yes that worked, I am using tab mix pro and I clicked
    enable single window mode and it worked! Now that I click my exe file it
    opens a new tab inside my currently running firefox. Woo hooooo

    Thanks guys

    GioV, Jul 30, 2006
  15. On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:15:50 GMT, "Mumia W."
    <> wrote:

    > If you start Fx with an address to display, it'll use the
    > currently displayed instance to display that page, so modify
    > the Fx shortcut to display a home page you like, and you're set.

    Thank you. This just eliminated a small annoyance I've had for a couple
    years. Now Firefox never opens more than one instance. I don't accidently
    hit the Firefox icon very often after the program is already running, but
    if I do, I no longer end up in a totally different window. I just changed
    the target of my shortcut to:

    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" about:blank
    --
    FoxWolfie

    FoxWolfie Galen, Jul 31, 2006
  16. GioV

    pablisco

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Solution?

    ok, I have been looking for the same you are asking for a while now and I think the solution may be quite simple.

    first you need to open Firefox and type "about:config" on the url.

    That will take you to the configuration page and if you are using Firefox 3 it will ask you to be careful so don't touch many things here ;)

    Next you simply have to search "window" and on the first line it will show the boolean key "allinonegest.singleWindow". Double click on this key and the value will be changed from false to true.

    Restart Firefox and it should allow only one window at a time.

    I haven't fully tested this, but let me know if you have any problems

    pablisco, Mar 10, 2008
  17. GioV

    martosurf

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    ADD-ON to don't let Mozilla Firefox 3.08 run more than one instance

    Hi everybody,

    since the first post of GioV, stating clearly what he was searching for but receiving nothing but bullshit from the retards who roam this forums, I haven't seen any but one or two useful posts that can help him.

    All of you, bunch of freaks, überassholes, this is what GioV originally post:

    hello, can anyone tell me if theres an option or extension that I can
    use to now allow Firefox to run more than one instance. For instance if
    I was running firefox and I clicked the firefiox.exe firefox would not
    open again but maximize the open already, or at least not open another one.

    Thanks
    GioV

    Obviously you don't need a second read to learn there was a miss-type where there says "now" should be read "not".

    It's very clear what this person says here: FF has a design flaw that let's run multiple instances of it making not only difficult to focus on your current website but very dangerous too, because after first launch subsequents launchs launch a standard factory-settings Firefox which, if you don't pay really good attention, may result in overwriting your FF customization with no hope to restore it. You may end up losing your extensions, your toolbar customizations, etc.

    That's how I found this post, looking for a way to stop that sh|t :stupid: - of course nobody here found how to handle that because you're so f u c k ing retards to understand what GioV says.

    I found an extension which solves this bug and works with the latest release of FF 3.08 on Windows XP Pro sp3.

    addons.mozilla.org/es-ES/firefox/addon/8182
    addons.mozilla.org/es-ES/firefox/addon/8182
    addons.mozilla.org/es-ES/firefox/addon/8182

    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
    martosurf, Apr 15, 2009
  18. GioV

    martosurf

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    addons.mozilla.org/es-ES/firefox/addon/8182

    martosurf, Apr 15, 2009