Only on Bitstream - Corrupt FTP Downloads

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi,

    As the subject says, I'm having problems with corrupt downloads from FTP
    sites. This only seems to affect large downloads, maybe over 100 meg. This
    makes no difference whether the client is in active or passive mode and
    different sources still produce corrupt downloads.
    Downloading from HTTP links and from peer-to-peer works flawlessly. However
    for some things (such as large game patches and demos) I would prefer to be
    able to just queue it all up in an FTP client and let it go.
    I haven't tried to download a large file from an FTP site through my browser
    or tried another program (I'm currently using Bulletproof FTP) as after 3
    attempts at the 700 odd meg Half Life 2 demo (as well as others), I'm pretty
    sick of trying. If no one has any other suggestions, I'll give this a go,
    however I've been using Bulletproof for some time now and am quite partial
    to it.
    I think one important thing to note here is that this was *never* a problem
    when I was on Dial Up. The problem manifested as soon as I went to Jetstream
    and has persisted with Orcon Bitstream.
    So, if anyone has any ideas what the problem might be, I'm open to
    suggestions. Oh yeah, I'm running XP SP2 and I'm connecting to the net via a
    US Robotics 9105 4 port router.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 25, 2005

  2. Steve

    froggy Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:58:19 +1300, Steve wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > As the subject says, I'm having problems with corrupt downloads from FTP
    > sites. This only seems to affect large downloads, maybe over 100 meg. This
    > makes no difference whether the client is in active or passive mode and
    > different sources still produce corrupt downloads.
    > Downloading from HTTP links and from peer-to-peer works flawlessly. However
    > for some things (such as large game patches and demos) I would prefer to be
    > able to just queue it all up in an FTP client and let it go.
    > I haven't tried to download a large file from an FTP site through my browser
    > or tried another program (I'm currently using Bulletproof FTP) as after 3
    > attempts at the 700 odd meg Half Life 2 demo (as well as others), I'm pretty
    > sick of trying. If no one has any other suggestions, I'll give this a go,
    > however I've been using Bulletproof for some time now and am quite partial
    > to it.
    > I think one important thing to note here is that this was *never* a problem
    > when I was on Dial Up. The problem manifested as soon as I went to Jetstream
    > and has persisted with Orcon Bitstream.
    > So, if anyone has any ideas what the problem might be, I'm open to
    > suggestions. Oh yeah, I'm running XP SP2 and I'm connecting to the net via a
    > US Robotics 9105 4 port router.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steve

    does it matter if you change from ascii mode to binary mode?
    (type 'bin' at the prompt after logging in.. but before beginning the
    download)

    froggy, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "froggy" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:58:19 +1300, Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> As the subject says, I'm having problems with corrupt downloads from FTP
    >> sites. This only seems to affect large downloads, maybe over 100 meg.
    >> This
    >> makes no difference whether the client is in active or passive mode and
    >> different sources still produce corrupt downloads.
    >> Downloading from HTTP links and from peer-to-peer works flawlessly.
    >> However
    >> for some things (such as large game patches and demos) I would prefer to
    >> be
    >> able to just queue it all up in an FTP client and let it go.
    >> I haven't tried to download a large file from an FTP site through my
    >> browser
    >> or tried another program (I'm currently using Bulletproof FTP) as after 3
    >> attempts at the 700 odd meg Half Life 2 demo (as well as others), I'm
    >> pretty
    >> sick of trying. If no one has any other suggestions, I'll give this a go,
    >> however I've been using Bulletproof for some time now and am quite
    >> partial
    >> to it.
    >> I think one important thing to note here is that this was *never* a
    >> problem
    >> when I was on Dial Up. The problem manifested as soon as I went to
    >> Jetstream
    >> and has persisted with Orcon Bitstream.
    >> So, if anyone has any ideas what the problem might be, I'm open to
    >> suggestions. Oh yeah, I'm running XP SP2 and I'm connecting to the net
    >> via a
    >> US Robotics 9105 4 port router.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Steve

    > does it matter if you change from ascii mode to binary mode?
    > (type 'bin' at the prompt after logging in.. but before beginning the
    > download)

    The program 'auto detects' which mode it should use, which basically means
    it has a set list of extensions it uses ascii for and binary for all the
    rest. Looking at the ascii list I can't see any reason it wouldn't be
    transferring them as binaries. I could give it a go though.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 25, 2005
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I redownloaded some of the files overnight using the same FTP sources, but
    with my web browser instead of my FTP program. The files turned up intact
    which leads me to believe it's my FTP program. Odd though, as I never had
    these issues on dial up. Oh well, I might email the developer and see what
    he has to say.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 25, 2005
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "froggy" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:58:19 +1300, Steve wrote:

    [snip]

    > does it matter if you change from ascii mode to binary mode?
    > (type 'bin' at the prompt after logging in.. but before beginning the
    > download)

    On further inspection I can see from the log window that the files are
    indeed being transferred in binary mode. Seeing as I got some large
    downloads to work with my web browser (from the same FTP sources) I'm lead
    to think it's the FTP program. Odd.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 25, 2005