Only have 2.1 gig showing on 6gig drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ProStart241, Dec 28, 2004.

  1. ProStart241

    ProStart241 Guest

    I hope this makes sense, I'm not great at typing/verbalizing problems, but
    here goes nothing.

    I bought three used older 266 MHz p2 laptops a while back, one terca 8000 &
    two versa lx. One versa (which I've already resold) had a four gig hd.

    I've also sold the terca8000, but before selling, I pulled out the hd and
    noticed it was actually a 8GB Toshiba Hard Drive Pack in it, but hd property
    showed it to be 2.1 gb, and under hd device property it lists
    as"IBM-DTNA-22160. I fdisk with win98 boot disk and enable large hd support
    but still end up with only 2.1 gig . So I sold it as is.

    That last versa (which I'm keeping) is also running 98se, and only shows hd
    to be 2.1 gig in property's same as the terca which is weird because when I
    pulled it's (the versa's) hd out it is a 6 gig IBM drive pack. I ran a low
    level format or some similar type program I found from IBM, but the program
    identified the drive as a Toshiba 2.1 gig I ran it anyways but it couldn't
    find a problem.

    This seems too weird to be a coincidence, and I could use the missing 4gigs
    of room on my versa, hoping someone has an explanation.

    Could it be some type of third party software doing this? I even installed
    win-xp on it to see if NT file format would restore the hd's 6gig potential.

    I purchased these laptops from a guy who I think was teaching computer
    courses, but I lost his number, plus I got them pretty cheap so I wouldn't
    want to bother the guy with questions even if I could find it.
    ProStart241, Dec 28, 2004

  2. ProStart241

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "ProStart241" <> wrote in message
    |I hope this makes sense, I'm not great at typing/verbalizing problems, but
    | here goes nothing.
    |
    | I bought three used older 266 MHz p2 laptops a while back, one terca 8000
    &
    | two versa lx. One versa (which I've already resold) had a four gig hd.
    |
    | I've also sold the terca8000, but before selling, I pulled out the hd and
    | noticed it was actually a 8GB Toshiba Hard Drive Pack in it, but hd
    property
    | showed it to be 2.1 gb, and under hd device property it lists
    | as"IBM-DTNA-22160. I fdisk with win98 boot disk and enable large hd
    support
    | but still end up with only 2.1 gig . So I sold it as is.
    |
    | That last versa (which I'm keeping) is also running 98se, and only shows
    hd
    | to be 2.1 gig in property's same as the terca which is weird because when
    | pulled it's (the versa's) hd out it is a 6 gig IBM drive pack. I ran a
    low
    | level format or some similar type program I found from IBM, but the
    program
    | identified the drive as a Toshiba 2.1 gig I ran it anyways but it couldn't
    | find a problem.
    |
    | This seems too weird to be a coincidence, and I could use the missing
    4gigs
    | of room on my versa, hoping someone has an explanation.
    |
    | Could it be some type of third party software doing this? I even installed
    | win-xp on it to see if NT file format would restore the hd's 6gig
    potential.

    | I purchased these laptops from a guy who I think was teaching computer
    | courses, but I lost his number, plus I got them pretty cheap so I wouldn't
    | want to bother the guy with questions even if I could find it.

    It's quite possible that the BIOS of the computer is unable to access hard
    drives larger than 2Gig. You might see about a BIOS update information. If
    that is the case, and you can't update the BIOS, the alternative is a disk
    manager program like Ontrack.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 28, 2004

  3. ProStart241

    Tony Guest

    >I hope this makes sense, I'm not great at typing/verbalizing problems, but
    >here goes nothing.
    >

    > I bought three used older 266 MHz p2 laptops a while back, one terca 8000
    > & two versa lx. One versa (which I've already resold) had a four gig hd.
    >

    > I've also sold the terca8000, but before selling, I pulled out the hd and
    > noticed it was actually a 8GB Toshiba Hard Drive Pack in it, but hd
    > property showed it to be 2.1 gb, and under hd device property it lists
    > as"IBM-DTNA-22160. I fdisk with win98 boot disk and enable large hd
    > support but still end up with only 2.1 gig . So I sold it as is.
    >

    > That last versa (which I'm keeping) is also running 98se, and only shows
    > hd to be 2.1 gig in property's same as the terca which is weird because
    > when I pulled it's (the versa's) hd out it is a 6 gig IBM drive pack. I
    > ran a low level format or some similar type program I found from IBM, but
    > the program identified the drive as a Toshiba 2.1 gig I ran it anyways but
    > it couldn't find a problem.
    >

    > This seems too weird to be a coincidence, and I could use the missing
    > 4gigs of room on my versa, hoping someone has an explanation.
    >

    > Could it be some type of third party software doing this? I even installed
    > win-xp on it to see if NT file format would restore the hd's 6gig
    > potential.
    >

    > I purchased these laptops from a guy who I think was teaching computer
    > courses, but I lost his number, plus I got them pretty cheap so I wouldn't
    > want to bother the guy with questions even if I could find it.

    Probably due to a BIOS restriction. You could find out if there is a BIOS
    update. Otherwise use something like EZ Drive
    http://www.storagedrivers.com/drivers/12/12708.htm which will partition the
    drive into 2GB partitions and make the BIOS think that each one complies
    with its limit restrictions.
    Tony, Dec 28, 2004
  4. ProStart241

    ProStart241 Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "ProStart241" <> wrote in message
    > |I hope this makes sense, I'm not great at typing/verbalizing problems,
    > but
    > | here goes nothing.
    > |
    > | I bought three used older 266 MHz p2 laptops a while back, one terca
    > 8000
    > &
    > | two versa lx. One versa (which I've already resold) had a four gig hd.
    > |
    > | I've also sold the terca8000, but before selling, I pulled out the hd
    > and
    > | noticed it was actually a 8GB Toshiba Hard Drive Pack in it, but hd
    > property
    > | showed it to be 2.1 gb, and under hd device property it lists
    > | as"IBM-DTNA-22160. I fdisk with win98 boot disk and enable large hd
    > support
    > | but still end up with only 2.1 gig . So I sold it as is.
    > |
    > | That last versa (which I'm keeping) is also running 98se, and only shows
    > hd
    > | to be 2.1 gig in property's same as the terca which is weird because
    > when
    > | pulled it's (the versa's) hd out it is a 6 gig IBM drive pack. I ran a
    > low
    > | level format or some similar type program I found from IBM, but the
    > program
    > | identified the drive as a Toshiba 2.1 gig I ran it anyways but it
    > couldn't
    > | find a problem.
    > |
    > | This seems too weird to be a coincidence, and I could use the missing
    > 4gigs
    > | of room on my versa, hoping someone has an explanation.
    > |
    > | Could it be some type of third party software doing this? I even
    > installed
    > | win-xp on it to see if NT file format would restore the hd's 6gig
    > potential.
    > |
    > | I purchased these laptops from a guy who I think was teaching computer
    > | courses, but I lost his number, plus I got them pretty cheap so I
    > wouldn't
    > | want to bother the guy with questions even if I could find it.
    > |
    > It's quite possible that the BIOS of the computer is unable to access hard
    > drives larger than 2Gig. You might see about a BIOS update information. If
    > that is the case, and you can't update the BIOS, the alternative is a disk
    > manager program like Ontrack.

    Thanks Tim,
    I forgot to include that before selling the other versa (one with a 4gig
    drive which showed correctly in property's) I swapped out the drives and was
    able to rule the bios out as a problem.
    ProStart241, Dec 28, 2004
  5. ProStart241

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "ProStart241" <> wrote in message
    | > |I hope this makes sense, I'm not great at typing/verbalizing problems,
    | > but
    | > | here goes nothing.
    | > |
    | > | I bought three used older 266 MHz p2 laptops a while back, one terca
    | > 8000
    | > &
    | > | two versa lx. One versa (which I've already resold) had a four gig hd.
    | > |
    | > | I've also sold the terca8000, but before selling, I pulled out the hd
    | > and
    | > | noticed it was actually a 8GB Toshiba Hard Drive Pack in it, but hd
    | > property
    | > | showed it to be 2.1 gb, and under hd device property it lists
    | > | as"IBM-DTNA-22160. I fdisk with win98 boot disk and enable large hd
    | > support
    | > | but still end up with only 2.1 gig . So I sold it as is.
    | > |
    | > | That last versa (which I'm keeping) is also running 98se, and only
    shows
    | > hd
    | > | to be 2.1 gig in property's same as the terca which is weird because
    | > when
    | > | pulled it's (the versa's) hd out it is a 6 gig IBM drive pack. I ran
    | > low
    | > | level format or some similar type program I found from IBM, but the
    | > program
    | > | identified the drive as a Toshiba 2.1 gig I ran it anyways but it
    | > couldn't
    | > | find a problem.
    | > |
    | > | This seems too weird to be a coincidence, and I could use the missing
    | > 4gigs
    | > | of room on my versa, hoping someone has an explanation.
    | > |
    | > | Could it be some type of third party software doing this? I even
    | > installed
    | > | win-xp on it to see if NT file format would restore the hd's 6gig
    | > potential.
    | > |
    | > | I purchased these laptops from a guy who I think was teaching computer
    | > | courses, but I lost his number, plus I got them pretty cheap so I
    | > wouldn't
    | > | want to bother the guy with questions even if I could find it.
    | > |
    | > It's quite possible that the BIOS of the computer is unable to access
    hard
    | > drives larger than 2Gig. You might see about a BIOS update information.
    If
    | > that is the case, and you can't update the BIOS, the alternative is a
    disk
    | > manager program like Ontrack.
    | >

    | Thanks Tim,
    | I forgot to include that before selling the other versa (one with a 4gig
    | drive which showed correctly in property's) I swapped out the drives and
    was
    | able to rule the bios out as a problem.

    Okay - I just pulled this up on your drive ID and it shows it is *supposed*
    to be 2.1 Gig:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/66883/
    Toolman Tim, Dec 28, 2004
  6. ProStart241

    > "ProStart241" <> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > | >
    > | > "ProStart241" <> wrote in message
    > problems,
    > | > but
    > | > |
    > | > 8000
    > | > &
    > hd.
    > | > |
    > hd
    > | > and
    > | > property
    > | > support
    > | > |
    > shows
    > | > hd
    > | > when
    > ran
    > | > low
    > | > program
    > | > couldn't
    > | > |
    > missing
    > | > 4gigs
    > | > |
    > | > installed
    > | > potential.
    > | > |
    > computer
    > | > wouldn't
    > | > |
    > | > It's quite possible that the BIOS of the computer is unable to access
    > hard
    > | > drives larger than 2Gig. You might see about a BIOS update
    > information.
    > If
    > | > that is the case, and you can't update the BIOS, the alternative is a
    > disk
    > | > manager program like Ontrack.
    > | >

    > | Thanks Tim,
    > | I forgot to include that before selling the other versa (one with a 4gig
    > | drive which showed correctly in property's) I swapped out the drives and
    > was
    > | able to rule the bios out as a problem.
    > |
    > Okay - I just pulled this up on your drive ID and it shows it is
    > *supposed*
    > to be 2.1 Gig:
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/66883/

    I know it's weird because when I pull the physical drive out the stick on it
    is marked as
    " 6.0GB HITACHI
    808-878745-520A
    A2+ 02/2000 "

    I can't understand why this would be on too separate laptops both having the
    physical drives marked wrong, plus the stickers didn't look to of have been
    tampered with. But if it's not a software related problem, then I guess it
    must be the only possible explanation.
    ProStart241, Dec 28, 2004
  7. ProStart241

    philo Guest

    > I hope this makes sense, I'm not great at typing/verbalizing problems, but
    > here goes nothing.
    >

    > I bought three used older 266 MHz p2 laptops a while back, one terca 8000

    &
    > two versa lx. One versa (which I've already resold) had a four gig hd.
    >

    > I've also sold the terca8000, but before selling, I pulled out the hd and
    > noticed it was actually a 8GB Toshiba Hard Drive Pack in it, but hd

    property
    > showed it to be 2.1 gb, and under hd device property it lists
    > as"IBM-DTNA-22160. I fdisk with win98 boot disk and enable large hd

    support
    > but still end up with only 2.1 gig . So I sold it as is.
    >

    > That last versa (which I'm keeping) is also running 98se, and only shows

    hd
    > to be 2.1 gig in property's same as the terca which is weird because when

    > pulled it's (the versa's) hd out it is a 6 gig IBM drive pack. I ran a

    low
    > level format or some similar type program I found from IBM, but the

    program
    > identified the drive as a Toshiba 2.1 gig I ran it anyways but it couldn't
    > find a problem.
    >

    > This seems too weird to be a coincidence, and I could use the missing

    4gigs
    > of room on my versa, hoping someone has an explanation.
    >

    > Could it be some type of third party software doing this? I even

    installed
    > win-xp on it to see if NT file format would restore the hd's 6gig

    potential.

    > I purchased these laptops from a guy who I think was teaching computer
    > courses, but I lost his number, plus I got them pretty cheap so I wouldn't
    > want to bother the guy with questions even if I could find it.

    assuming that you first deleted everything when you used fdisk...
    the drives may have been jumpered for "bios limitation"
    some drives have the option to be jumpered as smaller than they actually are
    for machines with limited bios's.

    also, the drives may have been some type of a factory replacement drive.
    some mfgs will setup a drive as smaller than it's actual size .

    ie: give out a 6 gig drive to replace ,exactly, a defective 2 gig drive
    in that case there is nothing you could have done to gain the extra space
    philo, Dec 28, 2004