    should I use a blogg and tick the private box.

    cheers
    p.s. scuse typos. its too friggin hot under this tin roof.
    Trog, Jan 20, 2005

  2. In article <41ef2cf9$>, Trog <>
    wrote:

    >I want to prepare documents on line. Basiclly Im looking for a kind
    >of online word processor. something where I can work on a document on
    >this computer, connect to the site and then where needed work on the
    >same document from another location on a another computer.

    You could do it via VNC. This gives you remote control of GUI
    applications. The Windows version shows you what's on the actual screen,
    and does remote control of the physical mouse and keyboard. The Linux
    version lets you create one or more virtual screens, each with its own
    virtual mouse and keyboard.

    >p.s. scuse typos. its too friggin hot under this tin roof.

    "Tin roof! Rusty!"
    "Come on down to the Love Shack..."

    Sorry, came over all B52s there for a moment...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Trog

    Allistar Guest

    Trog wrote:

    > K. I want to prepare documents on line. Basiclly Im looking for a kind
    > of online word processor. something where I can work on a document on
    > this computer, connect to the site and then where needed work on the
    > same document from another location on a another computer.
    >
    > I ahve the flash drive, and I can work on a doc and upload and download
    > etc from yahoo briefcas or something. But can i do it on line. Or
    > should I use a blogg and tick the private box.
    >
    > cheers
    > p.s. scuse typos. its too friggin hot under this tin roof.

    has fast will the connection be? I edit remote documents using the
    "fish" (ssh) protocol built into KDE. This is the main wy I design and edit
    web pages, remotely to my office PC no matter where I am. It's very simple,
    a url like:

    fish://someip/home/me/Documents/somepage.php

    can be opened in any KDE application and edited as if it were sitting on the
    local computer. Works a treat.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Trog

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:20:10 +1300, Trog wrote:

    > K. I want to prepare documents on line. Basiclly Im looking for a kind
    > of online word processor. something where I can work on a document on
    > this computer, connect to the site and then where needed work on the same
    > document from another location on a another computer.
    >
    > I ahve the flash drive, and I can work on a doc and upload and download
    > etc from yahoo briefcas or something. But can i do it on line. Or should
    > I use a blogg and tick the private box.

    What do you mean by 'document'?

    MS Word file?
    Other word processing app file?
    Something that generates PDFs?
    or just something resembling pages of text?

    I suspect because you are considering blogs, that means that you are
    looking for pure content authoring rather than whiz bang word processing
    stuff.

    Some sort of CMS that can output PDFs could be a possibility. Apache
    Cocoon based ones could be worth a go eg Daisy, Lenya etc.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jan 20, 2005
  5. Trog

    Trog Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:20:10 +1300, Trog wrote:
    >

    >>K. I want to prepare documents on line. Basiclly Im looking for a kind
    >>of online word processor. something where I can work on a document on
    >>this computer, connect to the site and then where needed work on the same
    >>document from another location on a another computer.
    >>
    >>I ahve the flash drive, and I can work on a doc and upload and download
    >>etc from yahoo briefcas or something. But can i do it on line. Or should
    >>I use a blogg and tick the private box.

    > What do you mean by 'document'?
    >
    > MS Word file?
    > Other word processing app file?
    > Something that generates PDFs?
    > or just something resembling pages of text?
    >
    > I suspect because you are considering blogs, that means that you are
    > looking for pure content authoring rather than whiz bang word processing
    > stuff.
    >
    > Some sort of CMS that can output PDFs could be a possibility. Apache
    > Cocoon based ones could be worth a go eg Daisy, Lenya etc.

    Anything really. I just want to do the work and if its plain old text
    thats okay as I could cut and paste to a word doc for final formatting.
    On the other hand................ if you know of a word file one then
    that would be good too.
    Trog, Jan 20, 2005
  6. Trog

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:31:03 +1300, Trog wrote:

    > Anything really. I just want to do the work and if its plain old text
    > thats okay as I could cut and paste to a word doc for final formatting.

    I reckon a Wiki or CMS of some sort could work if you just want to paste
    text into a word processor.

    Anyway for the technically adventurous with a public server to install
    this stuff on, here is a potential more powerful solution:

    Use Daisy as a Wiki/CMS that stores XML based content in Cocoon. Add a
    doodah to Cocoon that can transform the XML content into the OpenOffice
    XML format - hey presto!

    Daisy:
    http://new.cocoondev.org/daisy/index.html

    Cocoon:
    http://cocoon.apache.org/

    The Cocoon to OpenOffice doodah:
    http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/XfolioOpenOfficeGeneration

    Seriously though, unless you are already familiar with XML, XSLT, Cocoon,
    and possibly Java this would not be an easy or quick solution to set up.

    Here's a CMS that can import OpenOffice files (but not export as far as I
    can tell):

    http://farcry.daemon.com.au/index.cfm

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jan 20, 2005
  7. Trog

    Trog Guest

    Trog wrote:
    > K. I want to prepare documents on line. Basiclly Im looking for a kind
    > of online word processor. something where I can work on a document on
    > this computer, connect to the site and then where needed work on the
    > same document from another location on a another computer.
    >
    > I ahve the flash drive, and I can work on a doc and upload and download
    > etc from yahoo briefcas or something. But can i do it on line. Or
    > should I use a blogg and tick the private box.
    >
    > cheers
    > p.s. scuse typos. its too friggin hot under this tin roof.

    Alls sweet guys. Yahoo notepad does what I need. cheers
    Trog, Jan 21, 2005