Online Warranties, camera return update

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ralph D., Apr 3, 2006.

  1. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    After calling Fuji again to ask about the odd behavior I posted about here
    before, they said to return my 5200. Thing is, they only repair not replace
    and said to call the vendor. That was the EPixphoto that I wrote of.

    I called them on Monday, said to ship back... did that Mon afternoon.
    Tracking showed it at their place Wed morning and my replacement arrived
    Friday afternoon... in spite of my forgetting to include the 16M card and
    one of the cords. Not bad, IMO.

    Now I need to buy a warranty on line and am considering one through Mack
    Warranties. I can get one that covers it for anything, even accidental
    damage, for 2 years for the same price as one that covers it for defects and
    such (no accidents) for 5 years. You cannot buy another extension when this
    runs out, according to a call to Mac

    I do rail photography outdoors in all sorts of weather and conditions and it
    seems the damage warranty is the way for me, but **money is an issue** and I
    need to keep this camera for a while, I'll not afford to replace it again, I
    think.

    From what I understand (which is limited) CCD's tend to wear and spot at 4
    years... is that correct?

    How much *real* effect is there from rain, snow, very hot and very cold cars
    and such?

    I cannot decide weather to choose time over risk or vicey versey... thoughts
    on that?

    Does anyone know of another company that will do online warranties within 30
    days of purchase that offer longer damage warranties than 2 years and/or
    sell more extensions while maintaining a good reputation?

    Thanks as usual for any good input.

    --
    Winter's just the curtain...
    Spring will take the bow.

    Ralph D., Apr 3, 2006

  2. Ralph D.

    Guest

    Ralph D. wrote:

    > I do rail photography outdoors in all sorts of weather and conditions and it
    > seems the damage warranty is the way for me, but **money is an issue** and I
    > need to keep this camera for a while, I'll not afford to replace it again, I
    > think.

    B&H shows the Fuji S5200 for $280.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...344&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

    Advice: if you can't afford to replace a $280 camera, you probably
    shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Purchasing insurance for
    such a thing is just plain silly. Save the premiums and buy a better
    camera in a few years.

    , Apr 3, 2006

  3. Ralph D.

    Ralph D. Guest

    Well... I paid more than that for it and see that BH doesn't actually have
    it. But you bring an interesting point, though... ie: if I replace it I only
    replace the camera and not the accessories that came with it. On the page
    you show the Mack warranty is only $40 beans, which, IMO is not an
    outrageous amount to invest in a warranty. This place does not show the
    damage warranty, but some have it for the same price.

    As for your financial swipe... until recently I could afford to develop all
    the film I wanted to... like many folks in the last 6 years I lost a fair
    amount and cannot lay that out anymore. A switch to digital where I can
    shoot all I want on a boatload of memory... and develop only a few is a
    reasonable cost saving alternative. It's not uncommon for me to take 5 or 6
    rolls worth in a weekend at some of the events I attend (and even 8 or 9 at
    one in the fall) and just the cost of developing is recouped in a short
    while this way. I'm not going to stop shooting if I can avoid it and that's
    what I'm about to try.

    I used to get a little snippy, too, some 6 or 7 years ago (when we had an
    economy that actually produced more opportunities than could be filled as
    opposed to downsizing and exporting our opportunities)... and was known to
    make a few cracks about folks who struggled. Ooops. Crow for dinner more
    than a few times since. And everyone in my spot figured it would never
    happen to them like I thought I was safe. We may have taken an irreversible
    course and it may not stop anytime soon... therefor you may want to watch
    the serving size you fix for yourself.

    Ralph D., Apr 3, 2006
  4. Ralph D.

    Guest

    Ralph D. trips over the bayesian inference line into troll territory:

    > [shaggy dog story]

    I took your statements at face value and offered you honest advice. I
    have no idea where all of this "eating crow", "financial swipe", or
    other bilge you are now spouting is coming from. I have theories, of
    course, but I await further evidence from your own mouth before they
    can be given traction.

    , Apr 3, 2006
  5. Ralph D.

    Edge Guest

    "Ralph D." <> wrote in message
    > Well... I paid more than that for it and see that BH doesn't actually have
    > it. But you bring an interesting point, though... ie: if I replace it I
    > only replace the camera and not the accessories that came with it. On the
    > page you show the Mack warranty is only $40 beans, which, IMO is not an
    > outrageous amount to invest in a warranty. This place does not show the
    > damage warranty, but some have it for the same price. would never happen
    > to them like I thought I was safe. We may have taken an irreversible
    > course and it may not stop anytime soon... therefor you may want to watch
    > the serving size you fix for yourself.

    Be sure to research the Mack warranty before spending even a nickle on it.
    Do your research with people who have actually tried to use it. Google will
    help.

    Edge, Apr 4, 2006
  6. Ralph D.

    henryp Guest

    Ralph D. wrote:
    > Well... I paid more than that for it and see that BH doesn't actually have
    > it.

    Actually, we do.

    Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

    henryp, Apr 7, 2006
  7. Ralph D.

    J. Clarke Guest

    Ralph D. wrote:

    > Well... I paid more than that for it and see that BH doesn't actually have
    > it. But you bring an interesting point, though... ie: if I replace it I
    > only replace the camera and not the accessories that came with it. On the
    > page you show the Mack warranty is only $40 beans, which, IMO is not an
    > outrageous amount to invest in a warranty. This place does not show the
    > damage warranty, but some have it for the same price.
    >
    > As for your financial swipe... until recently I could afford to develop
    > all the film I wanted to... like many folks in the last 6 years I lost a
    > fair amount and cannot lay that out anymore. A switch to digital where I
    > can shoot all I want on a boatload of memory... and develop only a few is
    > a reasonable cost saving alternative. It's not uncommon for me to take 5
    > or 6 rolls worth in a weekend at some of the events I attend (and even 8
    > or 9 at one in the fall) and just the cost of developing is recouped in a
    > short while this way. I'm not going to stop shooting if I can avoid it and
    > that's what I'm about to try.
    >
    > I used to get a little snippy, too, some 6 or 7 years ago (when we had an
    > economy that actually produced more opportunities than could be filled as
    > opposed to downsizing and exporting our opportunities)... and was known to
    > make a few cracks about folks who struggled. Ooops. Crow for dinner more
    > than a few times since. And everyone in my spot figured it would never
    > happen to them like I thought I was safe. We may have taken an
    > irreversible course and it may not stop anytime soon... therefor you may
    > want to watch the serving size you fix for yourself.

    280 bucks is five tanks of gas. If you're that close to the edge and you
    don't earn your income from photography then you should be putting that
    into marketing or training or tools or some other activity that has income
    potential.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate