    There are others if you search through Bizrate.

    Cheers,

    Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Siddhartha Jain

    Ken Burns Guest

    Ritz sells at MSRP or higher. B&H and Adorama usually have accurate
    advertised prices. Have you verified Beach Camera's price?

    KB

    Ken Burns, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Ken Burns wrote:
    > Ritz sells at MSRP or higher.

    Yes, but who buys at those prices and why?

    > B&H and Adorama usually have accurate
    > advertised prices. Have you verified Beach Camera's price?

    Yep, the site does say $819 before $100 rebate.
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Siddhartha Jain

    Ken Burns Guest

    >> B&H and Adorama usually have accurate
    >> advertised prices. Have you verified Beach Camera's price?

    > Yep, the site does say $819 before $100 rebate.

    But, have you called them on the phone and tried to place an order at that
    price?
    Ken Burns, Oct 22, 2004
  5. Ken Burns wrote:
    > >> B&H and Adorama usually have accurate
    > >> advertised prices. Have you verified Beach Camera's price?

    > > Yep, the site does say $819 before $100 rebate.
    > >

    > But, have you called them on the phone and tried to place an order at

    that
    > price?

    Ohh!! Not yet. I am waiting for the black rebel to appear on the
    shelves. Then I'll ask my cousin who stays in NJ to goto the store and
    buy it.
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 22, 2004
  6. "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    >> > Yep, the site does say $819 before $100 rebate.
    >> >

    >> But, have you called them on the phone and tried to place an order at

    > that
    >> price?

    > Ohh!! Not yet. I am waiting for the black rebel to appear on the
    > shelves. Then I'll ask my cousin who stays in NJ to goto the store and
    > buy it.

    Bear in mind that he'll have to pay New Jersey sales tax (I don't know the
    percentage). Merchandise that is shipped across state lines is not taxed.

    HOWEVER, I would rather deal with a more established dealer (B&H or
    Adorama). 60 more dollars and a lot more peace of mind.

    If you can verify that this other dealer actually has the merchandise, and
    will sell it at that price, and that it is USA warranted (not "gray market")
    merchandise, then go ahead.
    Michael A. Covington, Oct 22, 2004
  7. Siddhartha Jain

    Jer Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    >>>Yep, the site does say $819 before $100 rebate.
    >>>

    >>But, have you called them on the phone and tried to place an order at

    > that
    >
    >>price?

    > Ohh!! Not yet. I am waiting for the black rebel to appear on the
    > shelves. Then I'll ask my cousin who stays in NJ to goto the store and
    > buy it.

    Can your cousin shop in-store for the same price as shown on the
    internet portal? Yeah, I know, double standards and all that rot, but
    it happens all the time.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Oct 22, 2004
  8. Siddhartha Jain

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 06:52:44 -0400, "Michael A. Covington"
    <> wrote:

    >"Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    >>> >
    >>> But, have you called them on the phone and tried to place an order at

    >> that
    >>> price?

    >> Ohh!! Not yet. I am waiting for the black rebel to appear on the
    >> shelves. Then I'll ask my cousin who stays in NJ to goto the store and
    >> buy it.

    >Bear in mind that he'll have to pay New Jersey sales tax (I don't know the
    >percentage). Merchandise that is shipped across state lines is not taxed.
    >
    >HOWEVER, I would rather deal with a more established dealer (B&H or
    >Adorama). 60 more dollars and a lot more peace of mind.
    >
    >If you can verify that this other dealer actually has the merchandise, and
    >will sell it at that price, and that it is USA warranted (not "gray market")
    >merchandise, then go ahead.

    Nowadays, you need to ask about the *Canon* USA warranty.
    A Mack USA warranty is available, even for gray market cameras.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Oct 22, 2004

    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 22, 2004
  10. Jer wrote:
    > Can your cousin shop in-store for the same price as shown on the
    > internet portal? Yeah, I know, double standards and all that rot,

    but
    > it happens all the time.

    Don't know about BeachCamera's policy. Thats why I am sending my cousin
    to check so he can get the best price possible and check the
    merchandise and the deal. If he's not satisfied with the deal, we'll
    order from Adorama or B&H.

    I bought some stuff off B&H and they didn't charge me any tax for
    shipping to NJ.

    Also, I checked with B&H about the Black Digital Rebel and the customer
    rep said he had no clue about its availability. But Ritzcamera is
    selling it and shows it as "In Stock"!! How is that?
    Cheers,

    Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 22, 2004
  11. "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been seeing camera prices at online stores for some time now
    > (for the 300D). What I can't understand is how come the camera prices
    > vary so much from store to store. For eg. the Canon dRebel with the kit
    > lens goes for $805 at Beachcamera before rebate but the same deal is
    > for $999 at Ritzcamera and for $879 at B&H and Adorama. And all four
    > are rated well at resellerratings.
    >
    > Whats the rationale? Why would anyone buy from Ritz at all given a $200
    > difference between Ritz and beachcamera? Or even the $120 difference
    > between Ritz and B&H. And Ritz isn't the only one adverstising $999.
    > There are others if you search through Bizrate.

    Not everyone knows about the New York sellers, or assumes that all of them
    are crooks. People are comfortable with Ritz.
    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 22, 2004
  12. Michael A. Covington wrote:
    > Bear in mind that he'll have to pay New Jersey sales tax (I don't

    know the
    > percentage). Merchandise that is shipped across state lines is not

    taxed.

    > HOWEVER, I would rather deal with a more established dealer (B&H or
    > Adorama). 60 more dollars and a lot more peace of mind.
    >
    > If you can verify that this other dealer actually has the

    merchandise, and
    > will sell it at that price, and that it is USA warranted (not "gray

    market")
    > merchandise, then go ahead.

    BeachCamera has good rating on resellerratings. Plus I am not ordering
    online from them. So if the in-store deal is the same and the package
    has all the standard contents then I don't care whether its
    beachcamera, B&H or Adorama. I just care about the lowest price.

    The US warranty is anyways useless to me because my cousin will get it
    back to India for me.

    As for tax, I added the camera to my cart at beachcamera and put in the
    NJ address of my cousin and it showed me zero tax and zero shipping.
    Cheers,

    Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 22, 2004
  13. Siddhartha Jain

    S. Guest

    "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message

    > "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have been seeing camera prices at online stores for some time now
    >> (for the 300D). What I can't understand is how come the camera prices
    >> vary so much from store to store. For eg. the Canon dRebel with the kit
    >> lens goes for $805 at Beachcamera before rebate but the same deal is
    >> for $999 at Ritzcamera and for $879 at B&H and Adorama. And all four
    >> are rated well at resellerratings.
    >>
    >> Whats the rationale? Why would anyone buy from Ritz at all given a $200
    >> difference between Ritz and beachcamera? Or even the $120 difference
    >> between Ritz and B&H. And Ritz isn't the only one adverstising $999.
    >> There are others if you search through Bizrate.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Siddhartha

    Ritz/Wolf online is always higher. They are hoping that a lot of people,
    (especially novices) familiar with their brick and mortar stores "trust"
    them so they don't look elsewhere. They do have those high rents and
    payrolls to pay. Generally I won't shop at Ritz because of their higher
    prices and they push those awful Quantaray lenses and push for you to join
    their "discount club". That being said, I did buy my 20D body from a local
    Wolf store for $1,499....the same price as others have it.

    S.
    S., Oct 22, 2004
  14. Siddhartha Jain

    Robert Barr Guest

    > Whats the rationale? Why would anyone buy from Ritz at all given a $200
    > difference between Ritz and beachcamera? Or even the $120 difference
    > between Ritz and B&H.

    Maybe the stench generated by the NY mail order business is still
    lingering. A lot of us are old enough to recall the pages & pages of
    ads in the photo mags with microscopic print, and nervously sending off
    checks that might as well be flushed down the john...
    Robert Barr, Oct 22, 2004
  15. "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Whats the rationale? Why would anyone buy from Ritz at all given a $200
    > difference between Ritz and beachcamera? Or even the $120 difference
    > between Ritz and B&H. And Ritz isn't the only one adverstising $999.
    > There are others if you search through Bizrate.

    Beach used to have a bad reputation, but they seem to have really
    turned around, which is quite a rarity.

    buydig.com and beachcamera.com are actually the same company, and I've
    had a good experience with buydig.com. They usually have almost
    identical prices, but it pays to check both since occasionally there
    is a difference, and they sometimes have different free shipping
    deals.

    Beach Camera (BEACHCAMERA-DOM) 203 US Hwy 22 Greenbrook, NJ 08812 US
    beach trading co. (BUYDIG-DOM) 203 route 22 east greenbrook, NJ 08812
    US

    OTOH, there are a great many rip-off places, that appear in the
    pricing search engines. I wish that Elliott Spitzer would go after
    some of these places.
    Steven Scharf, Oct 22, 2004
  16. "Steven Scharf" <> wrote in message

    > Beach used to have a bad reputation, but they seem to have really
    > turned around, which is quite a rarity.
    >
    > buydig.com and beachcamera.com are actually the same company, and I've
    > had a good experience with buydig.com. They usually have almost
    > identical prices, but it pays to check both since occasionally there
    > is a difference, and they sometimes have different free shipping
    > deals.

    I notice that buydig.com really pushes accessory kits. Do they balk at
    letting you order the camera without the accessory kit?
    Michael A. Covington, Oct 23, 2004
  17. Siddhartha Jain

    DDDD Guest

    I checked with Willoughbys Est.1898 and they have the 300D with the lens for
    $669 with free shipping. I called them and asked a few questions and they
    were very helpful. I haven't odered it yet but plan to. They have a 5 star
    rating from dpreview.com, who I believe is very reputable and the reviews on
    the site are very positive.

    DDDD

    DDDD, Oct 24, 2004
  18. Siddhartha Jain

    DDDD Guest

    Sorry, but I gave the price without lens. The kit price with the lens is
    $729 after the $100 rebate.

    DDDD

    DDDD, Oct 24, 2004
  19. "Michael A. Covington" <> wrote in message news:<41799a21$>...

    > I notice that buydig.com really pushes accessory kits. Do they balk at
    > letting you order the camera without the accessory kit?

    I ordered an S500 online from them. They never called to try to sell
    me anything extra. That is one data point, FWIW.
    Steven Scharf, Oct 25, 2004