Online storage apart from Dropbox?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, Dec 22, 2008.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Hi guys, I'm running Dropbox successfully on my Vista Business machine
    but it can only handle one account. I'm looking for a second
    application that does something similar, eg sets up a virtual
    directory on my computer, lets me access files from anywhere and also
    lets me share items publicly as required.

    Basically I'm trying to replicate for free what Sharepoint does - but
    not just within one network. I want to have separate accounts for each
    client I share files with, which is one rea$on $harepoint is not an
    option. Actually it doesn't even have to be free, just able to
    accommodate several different accounts.

    Dropbox offers 1 gig for free and anything around that size would be
    fine.

    I've looked at:

    Box - www.box.net
    Carbonite - www.carbonite.com
    Elephant Drive - www.elephantdrive.com

    But don't know if they offer the most important part: the computer
    folder.

    Has anyone tried these or something else they could recommend?

    Thanks in advance,
    Jo

    Boppy, Dec 22, 2008

  2. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    > set up gmail as an imap service and use that...???

    why? My mail server is not the concern, it's document sharing I need
    help with.

    Boppy, Dec 23, 2008

  3. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    On Dec 23, 6:07 pm, whoisthis <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >  Boppy <> wrote:
    >
    > > > set up gmail as an imap service and use that...???

    > > why? My mail server is not the concern, it's document sharing I need
    > > help with.

    > Thats what I use Googlemail for, I store a lot of stuff there for backup
    > purposes etc.

    Can you save to it as a virtual folder from within WIndows Explorer?
    Eg save a word document straight to that directory, or do you still
    have to upload them? I currently share files by emailing them to
    Google Docs but am looking for something a bit more integrated with
    Explorer. Dropbox is perfect apart from the one account thing.

    Boppy, Dec 24, 2008