    the model will be released in January, RRP $1299.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 28, 2003

  2. John

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:05:05 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >Unable to locate online firms that stock Panasonic digital cameras
    >other than Etown, and Dick Smith.
    >
    >I've contacted a few firms and was told that Panasonic will only
    >supply to retail stores. This seems strange seeing as Panasonic allow
    >goods other than cameras, to be purchased online.
    >
    >Does anyone know of an online firm that stock Panasonic cameras?
    >
    >Case anyone is interested, I'm after an "Panasonic DMC FZ-10k". Not
    >yet released in NZ, but a friendly Noel Leemings employee has told me
    >the model will be released in January, RRP $1299.
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    Does it have a EVF viewfinder, ? if not leave well alone as the LCD can't
    bee seen in bright sunlight..

    Dumdedo, Dec 28, 2003

  3. John

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:05:05 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >Unable to locate online firms that stock Panasonic digital cameras
    >other than Etown, and Dick Smith.
    >
    >I've contacted a few firms and was told that Panasonic will only
    >supply to retail stores. This seems strange seeing as Panasonic allow
    >goods other than cameras, to be purchased online.
    >
    >Does anyone know of an online firm that stock Panasonic cameras?
    >
    >Case anyone is interested, I'm after an "Panasonic DMC FZ-10k". Not
    >yet released in NZ, but a friendly Noel Leemings employee has told me
    >the model will be released in January, RRP $1299.
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    Go for a Canon G5 a far better Camera, plus Canon has been in the game far
    longer than Panasonic..

    And you can buy the Mail Order.

    Dumdedo, Dec 28, 2003
  4. >

    > Does it have a EVF viewfinder, ? if not leave well alone as the LCD

    can't
    > bee seen in bright sunlight..

    Do a search for 'DPReview'. The camera is listed under 'Cameras\Panasonic'.
    It does have an EVF, excellent optics and optical image stabilisation. Only
    drawback is, it uses proprietory Li-ion batteries, so you can't get
    Alkalines at the local dairy in an emergency. It is bigger than the Olympus
    C-750 UZ (which I have) and the Kodak 6490.

    Henry

    Henry Falkner, Dec 28, 2003
  5. > Go for a Canon G5 a far better Camera, plus Canon has been in the game
    far
    > longer than Panasonic..
    >
    > And you can buy the Mail Order.

    The G5 does not have a 12 x optical zoom. If you want a 10x zoom or higher,
    the G5 is not in the running.

    Henry

    Henry Falkner, Dec 28, 2003
  6. John

    John Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:51:09 +1300, Henry Falkner wrote:

    >> Does it have a EVF viewfinder, ? if not leave well alone as the LCD

    > can't
    >> bee seen in bright sunlight..
    >>

    > Do a search for 'DPReview'. The camera is listed under 'Cameras\Panasonic'.
    > It does have an EVF, excellent optics and optical image stabilisation. Only
    > drawback is, it uses proprietory Li-ion batteries, so you can't get
    > Alkalines at the local dairy in an emergency. It is bigger than the Olympus
    > C-750 UZ (which I have) and the Kodak 6490.
    >
    > Henry

    Henry, I've spent weeks reading reviews from the experts and users,
    and finally got down to three cameras that seem to fit my
    requirements.
    Kodak 6490, Panasonic FZ-10, and the Olympus C-750 the camera you own.
    The only reason I haven't purchased the Olympus C-750 is the silver
    case. I haven't read a bad review of this camera, and the bundle that
    comes with the camera is great. I know it's childish being turned off
    by the colour, but that me:)
    I agree about the batteries, both the Kodak and the Panasonic use
    Li-ion so it looks as if I have to live with it:-(
    The reason I'm looking for a Panasonic dealer online to to cut the
    cost down when the camera is released. I can get good deals on both
    the Olympus, and the Kodak, but the Panasonic seems a closed shop.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 28, 2003
  7. John

    Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:38:30 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:51:09 +1300, Henry Falkner wrote:
    >

    >>> Does it have a EVF viewfinder, ? if not leave well alone as the LCD

    >> can't
    >>> bee seen in bright sunlight..
    >>>

    >> Do a search for 'DPReview'. The camera is listed under 'Cameras\Panasonic'.
    >> It does have an EVF, excellent optics and optical image stabilisation. Only
    >> drawback is, it uses proprietory Li-ion batteries, so you can't get
    >> Alkalines at the local dairy in an emergency. It is bigger than the Olympus
    >> C-750 UZ (which I have) and the Kodak 6490.
    >>
    >> Henry

    >Henry, I've spent weeks reading reviews from the experts and users,
    >and finally got down to three cameras that seem to fit my
    >requirements.
    >Kodak 6490, Panasonic FZ-10, and the Olympus C-750 the camera you own.
    >The only reason I haven't purchased the Olympus C-750 is the silver
    >case. I haven't read a bad review of this camera, and the bundle that
    >comes with the camera is great. I know it's childish being turned off
    >by the colour, but that me:)
    >I agree about the batteries, both the Kodak and the Panasonic use
    >Li-ion so it looks as if I have to live with it:-(
    >The reason I'm looking for a Panasonic dealer online to to cut the
    >cost down when the camera is released. I can get good deals on both
    >the Olympus, and the Kodak, but the Panasonic seems a closed shop.
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    Have alook at Steves Digicams - his review says that rechargeable
    batteries can be used andwill bebetter for most users than the Li ion
    batteries.
    Rich

    , Dec 28, 2003
  8. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 07:53:33 +1300, wrote:

    >>> can't
    >>>>

    >>> Do a search for 'DPReview'. The camera is listed under 'Cameras\Panasonic'.
    >>> It does have an EVF, excellent optics and optical image stabilisation. Only
    >>> drawback is, it uses proprietory Li-ion batteries, so you can't get
    >>> Alkalines at the local dairy in an emergency. It is bigger than the Olympus
    >>> C-750 UZ (which I have) and the Kodak 6490.
    >>>
    >>> Henry

    >>Henry, I've spent weeks reading reviews from the experts and users,
    >>and finally got down to three cameras that seem to fit my
    >>requirements.
    >>Kodak 6490, Panasonic FZ-10, and the Olympus C-750 the camera you own.
    >>The only reason I haven't purchased the Olympus C-750 is the silver
    >>case. I haven't read a bad review of this camera, and the bundle that
    >>comes with the camera is great. I know it's childish being turned off
    >>by the colour, but that me:)
    >>I agree about the batteries, both the Kodak and the Panasonic use
    >>Li-ion so it looks as if I have to live with it:-(
    >>The reason I'm looking for a Panasonic dealer online to to cut the
    >>cost down when the camera is released. I can get good deals on both
    >>the Olympus, and the Kodak, but the Panasonic seems a closed shop.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>John.

    > Have alook at Steves Digicams - his review says that rechargeable
    > batteries can be used andwill bebetter for most users than the Li ion
    > batteries.
    > Rich

    If your looking at his review for the FZ-10, or Kodak 6490, you'll
    find that the Li-ion is rechargeable, but it would be physically
    impossible to fit AA batteries in the battery slot for these two
    cameras.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 28, 2003
  9. John

    KS Guest

    John wrote:
    > Unable to locate online firms that stock Panasonic digital cameras
    > other than Etown, and Dick Smith.

    There's the US based www.bhphotovideo.com , who are in New York, and have a
    good reputation for international shipping and online purchasing.

    They're listing the DMC FZ-10k for US$550.

    Another suggestion is to hang around pbase.com and www.photo.net forums,
    and see if you can pick up a second hand one ? A touch more riskier, but
    then it would be a lot cheaper.

    Your camera sound very similarto my Minolta 7Hi - and it's just sooooo sweet
    !

    KS, Dec 28, 2003
  10. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:21:37 +1300, KS wrote:

    > John wrote:
    >> Unable to locate online firms that stock Panasonic digital cameras
    >> other than Etown, and Dick Smith.

    > There's the US based www.bhphotovideo.com , who are in New York, and have a
    > good reputation for international shipping and online purchasing.
    >
    > They're listing the DMC FZ-10k for US$550.
    >
    > Another suggestion is to hang around pbase.com and www.photo.net forums,
    > and see if you can pick up a second hand one ? A touch more riskier, but
    > then it would be a lot cheaper.
    >
    > Your camera sound very similarto my Minolta 7Hi - and it's just sooooo sweet
    > !

    Visited the web site, the camera is $549.95 and fright is $54.50
    (unavailable at the moment). The price is in my range, and I wouldn't
    mind waiting the 14 days delivery when the camera comes available.
    My only concern would be the warranty, and repairs after the warranty
    period finished. They mention grey imports, and state that the camera
    would need to be returned to the U.S.A for repairs or warranty, they
    also state:

    A "USA" warrantied item is a manufacture's warranty that would be
    repaired by any manufacturer's authorized service facility worldwide
    if the item required in-warranty service. A "direct import" item would
    have to be returned to B&H Photo-Video Corp. in New York City if it
    required in-warranty attention. A resident of the USA may wish to make
    the buying decision based on price, since the cost of shipping to an
    American service center or to us should be about equal. A non-USA
    resident may want to consider the cost of returning the "direct
    import" item to us for warranty service, compared to the expense of
    buying the "USA warrantied" item and having warranty service available
    locally.
    The way I read this, if the camera is U.S.A warranted, I should be
    able to get any repairs done in NZ in, or after, the warranty period.
    The question is - how does one know if the camera is U.S.A warranted
    or a grey import?
    Have you had any dealings with this firm?

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 28, 2003
  11. John

    KS Guest

    > The way I read this, if the camera is U.S.A warranted, I should be
    > able to get any repairs done in NZ in, or after, the warranty period.
    > The question is - how does one know if the camera is U.S.A warranted
    > or a grey import?

    Hmm, good question. Don't really know. The warranty thing is always going to
    be a peculiar event. Have you had many problems with any other gear you've
    brought and needed the warranty ? Are you lucky ? Is it worth the extra cost
    ? Could you invest the money you have saved by purchasing it overseas into
    repairs if required ?

    Personally, I've not needed a warranty repair on goods for such a long
    time - last time was my cd writer in my PC Company machine, which they
    replaced - so I guess you have to ask yourself..... do you feel lucky ?!
    :)

    There are quite a few shonky US web based digital camera shops at the
    moment. B&H Photovideo isn't one of them. There's a thread that has been
    going for a while on rec.photo.digital where a guy has been posting photos
    of the shop fronts.

    > Have you had any dealings with this firm?

    Not personally, but I know some people (ahh, always sounds vague doesn't it)
    who have purchased some television equipment. They simply rang up, faxed
    through some ID, and it arrived pronto. I was geared up to purchase my
    camera through them, when my Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi fell into my lap instead.

    KS, Dec 28, 2003
  12. John

    KS Guest

    KS, Dec 28, 2003
  13. John

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:05:03 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:21:37 +1300, KS wrote:
    >
    >> John wrote:
    >>> Unable to locate online firms that stock Panasonic digital cameras
    >>> other than Etown, and Dick Smith.

    >> There's the US based www.bhphotovideo.com , who are in New York, and have a
    >> good reputation for international shipping and online purchasing.
    >>
    >> They're listing the DMC FZ-10k for US$550.
    >>
    >> Another suggestion is to hang around pbase.com and www.photo.net forums,
    >> and see if you can pick up a second hand one ? A touch more riskier, but
    >> then it would be a lot cheaper.
    >>
    >> Your camera sound very similarto my Minolta 7Hi - and it's just sooooo sweet
    >> !

    >Visited the web site, the camera is $549.95 and fright is $54.50
    >(unavailable at the moment). The price is in my range, and I wouldn't
    >mind waiting the 14 days delivery when the camera comes available.
    >My only concern would be the warranty, and repairs after the warranty
    >period finished. They mention grey imports, and state that the camera
    >would need to be returned to the U.S.A for repairs or warranty, they
    >also state:

    >A "USA" warrantied item is a manufacture's warranty that would be
    >repaired by any manufacturer's authorized service facility worldwide
    >if the item required in-warranty service. A "direct import" item would
    >have to be returned to B&H Photo-Video Corp. in New York City if it
    >required in-warranty attention. A resident of the USA may wish to make
    >the buying decision based on price, since the cost of shipping to an
    >American service center or to us should be about equal. A non-USA
    >resident may want to consider the cost of returning the "direct
    >import" item to us for warranty service, compared to the expense of
    >buying the "USA warrantied" item and having warranty service available
    >locally.
    >The way I read this, if the camera is U.S.A warranted, I should be
    >able to get any repairs done in NZ in, or after, the warranty period.
    >The question is - how does one know if the camera is U.S.A warranted
    >or a grey import?
    >Have you had any dealings with this firm?
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    This is one of the Best firms you can deal with, and are highly regarded in
    the Photo news group.

    All cameras that are imported by your self are regarded as Grey imports, that
    firm does not sell any grey imports..

    Its a Jewish firm run by dedicated Jews..

    Dumdedo, Dec 29, 2003
  14. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:33:23 +1300, KS wrote:

    >> [4 quoted lines suppressed]

    > Hmm, good question. Don't really know. The warranty thing is always going to
    > be a peculiar event. Have you had many problems with any other gear you've
    > brought and needed the warranty ? Are you lucky ? Is it worth the extra cost
    > ? Could you invest the money you have saved by purchasing it overseas into
    > repairs if required ?

    The obvious thing for me to do is email the firm, and ask them whether
    the camera is a grey import, or a U.S.A product.
    Had very problems with products needing warranty servicing. Put this
    down to doing my homework rather than luck:) Plus, I'm the original
    belt and braces man:)

    Must admit that I was tempted to purchase from Etown, but was put off
    by comments from the group. It would appear that if I want this
    camera, I'll need to pay the full retail price.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 29, 2003
  15. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:00:53 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:05:03 +1300, John <> wrote:
    >
    >> [47 quoted lines suppressed]

    > This is one of the Best firms you can deal with, and are highly regarded in
    > the Photo news group.
    >
    > All cameras that are imported by your self are regarded as Grey imports, that
    > firm does not sell any grey imports..

    Roger, quite a lot of information on the site regarding purchasing
    grey imports from them, so it's possible your not correct in that
    statement:)

    > Its a Jewish firm run by dedicated Jews..

    Just sent an email to this firm asking a few questions re the
    warrantee. The guys name is Chuck Capriola, doesn't sound Jewish:)

    Give you a call when I hear back.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Dec 29, 2003
  16. John

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:50:45 +1300, John <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:00:53 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:05:03 +1300, John <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> [47 quoted lines suppressed]

    >> This is one of the Best firms you can deal with, and are highly regarded in
    >> the Photo news group.
    >>
    >> All cameras that are imported by your self are regarded as Grey imports, that
    >> firm does not sell any grey imports..

    >Roger, quite a lot of information on the site regarding purchasing
    >grey imports from them, so it's possible your not correct in that
    >statement:)
    >
    >> Its a Jewish firm run by dedicated Jews..

    >Just sent an email to this firm asking a few questions re the
    >warrantee. The guys name is Chuck Capriola, doesn't sound Jewish:)
    >
    >Give you a call when I hear back.
    >
    >Regards,
    >John.

    Well there was a lot of Hate mail regarding that shop in the Photo news group,
    all it seems from Anti Jews.

    Dumdedo, Dec 29, 2003
  17. John

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:33:44 GMT, (Steve Robertson) wrote:

    >>Have alook at Steves Digicams - his review says that rechargeable
    >>batteries can be used andwill bebetter for most users than the Li ion
    >>batteries.
    >>Rich

    >This is the main reason I didnt buy a Panasonic( got a Olympus C-750)
    >
    >What happens when the Queen of England pays a surprise visit to give you your OBE.
    >You pull out the panasonic & the batteries are flat. Cant use a normal AA battery in it

    Well the InfoLions that Sony use tell you how many mins are left, far better
    than a bunch of AA cells can do..

    Better Cameras do not use AA bateries..

    Dumdedo, Dec 29, 2003

  18. >Have alook at Steves Digicams - his review says that rechargeable

    Steve Robertson, Dec 29, 2003
  19. John

    KS Guest

    > Its a Jewish firm run by dedicated Jews..

    Remarkable even for you Roger. This somehow helps the sale by... ?

    KS, Dec 29, 2003
  20. John

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:45:45 +1300, "KS" <> wrote:

    >> Its a Jewish firm run by dedicated Jews..

    >Remarkable even for you Roger. This somehow helps the sale by... ?

    Because its a kosher shop, and people should know that..

    Gee and you did not know..?

    Dumdedo, Dec 29, 2003